RF-mod 2.0 - electric boogaloo

Discuss mods and get help with mods ONLY
Rogue_F

Postby Rogue_F » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:13 pm

So it's either a late xmas gift, or early new years resolution...in either case it's

RF-mod 2: electric boogaloo

Get it at the usual place

I was originally going to release this on xmas, but I was waiting for FoZZ to get back to me on something. I think he's away for the holiday. The good thing is with that extra time I did some more testing and found more things that I broke, so it's even more fixed than it was before.

New and exciting features:
GHII multi track support (Lead, Bass, Rhythm) - Practice all the GHII parts
Separate scores for each
Song sort order (Title/Artist) - though come on people, use the folders
Song hotkey selection - press a letter, jump to the first song with that letter
Preview.ogg support - Tired of using up memory with previews, if there's a preview.ogg it will stream that
New toggles
VPBM
Note Special effects
Timer
Pause - PAUSE PAUSE PAUSE

Plus all the meaty goodness of previous RF-mod
As always READ THE README there are new install instructions. You can also look at the TODO and CHANGELOG to see what is up.

I'm submitting the diff's for 2.0 (included in the zip) to the authors. Hopefully these things will make it into the main stream source.

Some things did not make it into 2.0 (audio sync and linux version). I hope to get these in the next release.

Some other big items for the next release
Hammer-on's/Pull-off's
Multiplayer
Virtual folders (song database)

Probably a separate menu for all the RF-mod toggles (unless they get put into the main source)
Editor support for multi track
Career mode

Now don't get your hopes up that they will ALL get done.

Now some special notes to some special people:

winniez: You're churning out songs like crazy! Great job. If you could, start making your key track in the midi called 'PART GUITAR' It will make adding new parts easier later, and make sure things all stay compatible

cama: You did several rips of the GHII demo tracks. You even made some of them separate (bass/rhythm, etc). I have checked the GHII track selection code with the GHII track pack, as well as with your versions and they seem to work well. If you re package yours with a single combined midi with PART GUITAR and PART BASS tracks, it should work

everyone: the GHII track selection makes some assumptions and special case handling for GHII, original FOF songs, and some of the homebrew songs people have made. i have tried to account for all the track names but there may be some that don't work (I found some freetar and FoF.Spain ones that were different). If you find a song and it gives you no notes (the song timer will also be zero) post about what song it is and I can also try to make it work. I may try to fix it at a more fundemental level, but this will help.

Also the pause only works if you use the new mixer_music.pyd file included in my zip. i am not sure what the difference is (other than its newer). If anyone has problems with this new version also let me know. You can use the old version, but the music will pause but the notes will not (it will get out of sync).

There were 505 downloads of 1.0, 1081 of 1.5. Lets see if we can get 2000 for 2.0.

-Alex
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:55 pm

Awesome! Thanks man! =)
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki
DRW

Postby DRW » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:04 pm

Thx a million man!
I got a question!
I installed the RF 1.5...
Each time i press up or down to change song its like if i press the keys 10 times but i do it once!
So you can imagine how much time it took to choose the song i want!
Do you know what can cause this!

Thx in advance!
Upload your Frets on Fire files here!
http://fofilebox.co.nr/
winniez

Postby winniez » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:24 pm

winniez: You're churning out songs like crazy! Great job. If you could, start making your key track in the midi called 'PART GUITAR' It will make adding new parts easier later, and make sure things all stay compatible

I never found a correct midi editor, I only use freetar editor with nukular tools ;)
vup

Postby vup » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:33 pm

Really great work!!! Nice features, especially the option to turn of that irritating variable BPM thing and the Pause of course....

And for some strange reason the option to turn off the screw-up sounds suddenly works (it never worked for me before). Dunno how that happened but its nice anyway :laugh:
HeruLuingul

Postby HeruLuingul » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:38 pm

frickin awesome
winniez

Postby winniez » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:47 pm

Song sort order (Title/Artist)

reacts very strangely when setted on Artist ;)

Folders are "in the middle of nothin" and songs from the same artist are mixed up, I think the sort can be done on both levels... artist ASC , name ASC
Rogue_F

Postby Rogue_F » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:47 pm

winniez: I don't think the freetar editor supports multiple tracks. Though I think it's the converter which would rename things.

Maybe I will write a converter for .sng to .midi. I dont think the guy who did the one there ever put up any source.

I may also write some .midi converter things since lots of people do not put realistic difficulties on songs.

Also, can you start making preview.ogg's in your releases as well? Do you use audacity to do the conversion to ogg?

-Alex
winniez

Postby winniez » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:50 pm

no, I use dbpoweramp, but I have some sound softs.

I found the preview.ogg totally unuseful in fact...

A good think can be "if the guitar.ogg is not existing, use song.ogg as guitar.ogg" coz 99% the time it's the same file and it can save a lot of my hard disk (and maybe your memory load, don't know)
Rogue_F

Postby Rogue_F » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:02 pm

preview.ogg saves memory and increases performance of the song selection screen.

The game can only stream 1 audio file, the rest are loaded entirely into memory (30-50mb for each track). This is why it takes so long for the preview to start on the song selection screen.

preview.ogg should be all the files mixed together (song, guitar, rhythm).

When it's there, it's starts and stops a LOT faster, and does not use up 50-100MB of memory every time a preview starts. This is the main reason people wanted a disable preview to begin with because it's painful to use (especially with the GHII songs)

As far as a midi editor, anvil studio is pretty good

The sort by artist should put folders first. Since the artist of a folder is '=FOLDER='. Perhaps if you're using other language versions of windows there are other characters that are not sorted the same? Can you give me an example of the directory structure and songs in it?

-Alex

-Alex
jordanf

Postby jordanf » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:04 pm

i'm using the 1.5 version, and i'm very happy with it...

but i'd like not to use the preview feature... is there a way ?
winniez

Postby winniez » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:04 pm

ok I'll do preview for next conversions ;)

Numbers were before folders if I well remember.

and what about ?

A good think can be "if the guitar.ogg is not existing, use song.ogg as guitar.ogg" coz 99% the time it's the same file and it can save a lot of my hard disk (and maybe your memory load, don't know)
Last edited by winniez on Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogue_F

Postby Rogue_F » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:31 pm

As far as the not having the song.ogg I don't think that's a good idea.

They SHOULD be different. There was a tutorial a while back about how you should do a high and low pass filter on the two.

I think that is the correct way to do things rather than the volume. I may have something in there to detect if it's missing and then use the volume, but just not doing one is not a good thing in my opinion.

-Alex
mmsven

Postby mmsven » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:33 pm

Awesome! I can't wait to try this out!
mmsven

Postby mmsven » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:14 pm

This mod kicks ass!

Found 2 songs with no notes, Avenged sevenfold - bat country and Korn - coming undone

Return to “FOF Mod Discussion and Support”