¬¬¬¬¬¬ FORUM FAQ ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 1 year and 1 month old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
mmsven

¬¬¬¬¬¬ FORUM FAQ ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Postby mmsven » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:12 pm

Just thought I would combine the FAQ's so noobs will get the message.

Q: I get an error saying GMatrix33 or Cx_Freeze, how do I fix it?

A: If you have a load of songs already and dont want to delete them, then move them out of the folder before you do this.
Delete your current fof,
Delete your fretsonfire.ini, and the fretsonfire text document (Start > Run > %appdata%/fretsonfire/)
Download this (full playable release of 1.2.451 with RF-Mod)- https://www.fretsonfire.org/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=11;t=11473;
If you dragged your songs folder out, drag it into this.

---

Q: Why can I only use certain key combinations? e.g. Why won't F3 + F4 + Strum (Enter) work together?

A: Keyboards always have certain key combinations that cannot be pressed together. This saves on manufacturing costs as it is very rare that those combos would need to be used (aside from in FoF obviously).
Only way around this is to remap your keys. Usually using 1-5 rather than the F keys works. That, or try switching which key is used to strum.
One way to play 3 note chords is to get RF-Mod and go to player 1 settings and turn on 2 note chords only, You will only have to hold the two outside notes, and the middle will be hit.

---

Q: Why can't I find my fretsonfire log file or configuration settings file in FoFiX?

A: FoFiX has changed the path to the configuration and log file.
If fofix.ini or fofix.log is present in the directory from where the exe is run(fofix/), those will be used.
If fofix.ini or fofix.log is present in the directory from where the source code is run (fofix/src), those will be used.

Otherwise they can be found in the APPDATA directory (Start > Run > %appdata%/fofix as opposed to %appdata%/fretsonfire).
Or on Linux and Mac ~/.fofix as opposed to ~/.fretsonfire .

The default behaviour is that the files are in the appdata for win OSs and in ~/.fofix for mac/lin.

---

Q: Why can't I map my yellow drum key?

A: Chances are, you have the guitar keys mapped to a plastic controller. Whenever you try and press the yellow pad on your drums, FoF thinks you're canceling out of the key selection. To fix this, you need to map your guitar's second fret to something else.

---

Q: My songs slowly slip out of sync, even the Guitar Hero ones!

A: This is usually a result of the Sound Buffer setting changing. Go into Options > Audio Options > Sound Buffer, and change it to 44100.

---

Q: How can I play the game in Windowed mode rather than full-screen

A: Go into 'Settings' -> 'Video Settings' and change the Fullscreen Yes/No option, then apply the changes (remember that the resolution you choose will set the window size, so you are probably best off setting it to 800x600 before going to windowed mode)

---

Q: I downloaded the latest FoF, and when I remap the frets it doesn't actually seem to change them, they stay as the original F1-F5 and enter.

A: Restart the game after assigning the buttons and it will work.

---

Q: The game really seems to lag alot, no matter what settings I use and what audio delay I set.

A: Among other things, always make sure you have the latest video card drivers. This happened to me: I updated the drivers and the game now runs as smooth as a baby's bottom! :D
Also, it is worth noting that, for some people, dual core or dual processors cause lag in the game. If you have one of these setups, go to the task manager (ctrl alt + delete, you might have to click the task manager box) and go to processes. Find the fretsonfire.exe and right click, choose Set Affinity and untick one of the processors listed. While you are here, you might as well right click and set the priority higher as well.

---

Q: How do I add songs into FoF?

A: Download a track, this will usually be in *.rar format
Extract the *.rar file, and almost always, the files song.ogg, guitar.ogg, song.ini and notes.mid will be in a folder. If this is not the case then put them in a folder.
Place this folder inside the FretsOnFire/data/songs/ folder and your song will now appear in your song list.

---

Q: How do I extract folders in .zip or .rar format?

A: A good program to extract those files is winrar which you can find here
http://www.win-rar.com/

-----

Q: I can't download from megaupload because of a slot problem?

A: A solution to this problem has been posted before: https://www.fretsonfire.org/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=614

-----

Q: Some of my songs cut out when I miss a note, how do I fix this?

A: Copy guitar.ogg and rename the copy to song.ogg

-----

Q: How do I seperate the guitar from a song?

A: You can't do this unless you find seperated tracks released by the artist

---

Q: How do I convert a freetar sng to a FOF midi?

A: Use nukular tools
http://www.nukular.ch/foftools
or a mirror provided by winniez: http://my-css-lab.com/cgi-bin/nukular.pl

---

Q: How do I use the guitar hero controller?

A: Been answered before
https://www.fretsonfire.org/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=37

Just a tip from a user (nobby76)-

When people set their controls to a guitar they usually set the navigation controls to the d pad for ease of use, then when they unplug that guitar they loose the ability to navigate the menus in the game...well I know ( most of us should actually ) a way around this...The easy way is to remove / edit your fof.ini and that will sort your controls for you, but this is more of a proactive solution to stop it from happening in the first place.

If they set the PLAYER2 controls to whatever they like, but set the P2 navigation keys ( up down left right select back ) to the arrow keys and then set player 1's to the guitar, they should still be able to use the keyboard to navigate as its a legitimate controller, but use the guitar to actually play the game. And that also means if they unplug the guitar ( player 1 ) you still have a player set with keyboard controls ( player 2 ) so you can navigate around and if need be set your player 1 controls back to using the F keys or whatever, if you get rid of your guitar.

---

Q: Where do I download the guitar hero I/II songs?

A: Use the search function on the forum

---

Q: Why do the guitar hero songs sound improper

A: Theres a problem with the bass
https://www.fretsonfire.org/cgi-bin....y132662

---

Q: Whenever I try to Run FoF I get "This application has failed to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem".

A: Worry no more. Here is that missing Dll file.

Just download the .zip file, extract it using winzip/ winrar and copy the .DLL file to your main FoF folder (thats the one with Fretsonfire.exe in it ). Then run the game and every thing should be fine :)

Heres the LINK to the file.

---

Q: How do I fix the labels on the cd's and cases? They are not showing up correctly.

A: Download the low-poly version by blazingamer. They are smaller and not as detailed, allowing older graphics cards that have problems rendering high poly meshes to render the labels correctly.

Download
Last edited by BlackFate on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatakevin

Postby whatakevin » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:07 pm

i gotta say, its sad how theres only 300 veiws, apparently ppl arnt paying attention to this
Shredder
jake2k3

Postby jake2k3 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:02 pm

...Why not put this and other faqs into the "? Help FAQ" button up at the top? You know, the one convieniently located right next to the "Search" button.
Goodbye everyone. It's been fun. I spent many many hours here on these boards and playing/contributing to FoF. Today I uninstalled my game and deleted all my files. I just don't have the time or interest anymore. I won't be coming back here anymore. I might show up in the IRC from time to time to chat. I regret nothing.

So long, farewell.
~Jake2k3
mmsven

Postby mmsven » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:05 pm

jake2k3 wrote:...Why not put this and other faqs into the "? Help FAQ" button up at the top? You know, the one convieniently located right next to the "Search" button.

Only an admin can do that, and why would anyone look at it if no one looks at the search
Shredder
jake2k3

Postby jake2k3 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:08 pm

Because if someone with common sence did have a question, they would probably see the Help FAQ button before they saw this topic.
Goodbye everyone. It's been fun. I spent many many hours here on these boards and playing/contributing to FoF. Today I uninstalled my game and deleted all my files. I just don't have the time or interest anymore. I won't be coming back here anymore. I might show up in the IRC from time to time to chat. I regret nothing.

So long, farewell.
~Jake2k3
oohkee

Postby oohkee » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:10 pm

Thanks for this FAQ, answered my question right away! I'll have to change my Dual-Core processer thingie! ;) I can't wait to try this out.
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:47 pm

That's right, I was supposed to put something in there :p It's not terribly user-friendly or configurable, as you can see now.
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki
BabamtheGrunt

Postby BabamtheGrunt » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:55 am

What are the blue squares underneath your name rank or somthing?
Signature truncated. Please see this post.
<!--
ImageImage
-->
winniez

Postby winniez » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:01 am

it's the power, man, the power
whatakevin

Postby whatakevin » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:06 pm

any chance of my f4-f5 gap solution of doom being added cuz thats a comonly asked question. its on my sig
R09

Postby R09 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:49 pm

I am new to this game and checked out the FAQ and want to know how I can find the FretsOnFire/data/songs/ folder?

I have downloaded the torrents with songs

Extracted them

Put them into their own folder

But dont know how to put them into the FretsOnFire/data/songs/ folder, cause I can't find the folder. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Mass Effect FTW :)
BlackFate

Postby BlackFate » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:00 pm

How hard can it be?
Songs Finished: 82,
Metallica - Papa Roach - Disturbed - Bloodhound Gang
R09

Postby R09 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:07 pm

I am using the WinRAR to extract the files and when I use the "extract to" button what am I suppose to put as the destination path?

I'm sorry I really know nothing about computers but I do love playing games like Frets On Fire and would love to play all the cool songs that are out there.
Patrick McDuffy

Postby Patrick McDuffy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:15 pm

you extract it to C:\Program Files\Frets on Fire\data\songs

then you can put the songs into folders or arrange them as you like.
Last edited by Patrick McDuffy on Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R09

Postby R09 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:43 pm

Thank you so much

Return to “General FOF Discussion”