Fast Stumming On Keyboard - An improvement for keyboard users

What would you like to see added or fixed in FOF?
Forum rules
This topic is 15 years and 5 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:37 pm

I played FOF with keyboard for about a year and I always hated playing songs with fast strumming parts because it was really hard to press the strum keys fast even when alternating between the two keys.

My idea is that the secondary strum key could (optionally) be used as an alternating strummer. To clarify, I mean when you press the key it strums once and when you release the key it strums again. This would make it much easier for keyboard players to play fast strumming parts.
"Stop putting so much stock in all of this stuff, live your life for those that you love." - Relient K
EOF - A Song Editor for Frets On Fire
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:22 pm

That would be easy to do in a key mapper.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
blackfriday

Postby blackfriday » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:22 pm

Yea, I realized that.
slegnameihana

Postby slegnameihana » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:53 pm

Yeah, that would definitely be nice for those who still play with keyboards. *cries*
Azzco

Postby Azzco » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:13 pm

slegnameihana wrote:Yeah, that would definitely be nice for those who still play with keyboards. *cries*

You're not suggesting that keyboards are inferior do you?
I prefer a keyboard before any of the guitars you get with gh/rb myself. I haven't really had any problem with fast strumming though.. I found that End/Page Down worked better for me for some reason, most likely the angle of my hand. just experiment with different keys. (Oh and I was a Enter/Shift user for at least 10 months)
(k)Ubuntu 8.10 skyscraper 2.6.27-11-generic i686 GNU/Linux KDE 4.2.0
It's not like I dislike sleeping, I really do like it to be honest. It's the whole wake up/go to sleep business I don't like.
The Final Darkness
dadudemandude

Postby dadudemandude » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:25 am

so you mean strumming by pressing the key and it automatically strums again when you release that key? Then how about it when there is just one note? You strum it, release the strum key and you miss because it automatically strums again.

Or, is there something to get around that?

Davey
pimpinpalomo

Postby pimpinpalomo » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:23 am

dadudemandude wrote:so you mean strumming by pressing the key and it automatically strums again when you release that key? Then how about it when there is just one note? You strum it, release the strum key and you miss because it automatically strums again.

Or, is there something to get around that?

Davey

since there are two different strum keys, i think one of them should be the one that has this feature, not both.
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:32 pm

so you mean strumming by pressing the key and it automatically strums again when you release that key? Then how about it when there is just one note? You strum it, release the strum key and you miss because it automatically strums again.

My proposal is to only apply this to the secondary pick button and have it be optional as well.
"Stop putting so much stock in all of this stuff, live your life for those that you love." - Relient K
The Final Darkness
dadudemandude

Postby dadudemandude » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:43 pm

My proposal is to only apply this to the secondary pick button and have it be optional as well.
You can just press both keys at once for extreme fast strumming. A strum key automatically strumming again when released proves to be confusing to people that strum 'the standard way' (just alternating between the two keys) as it feels completely different. I feel no need for extra strums, speedpicking is more a matter of practice than a key that strums twice for you, and real extreme picking is pretty rare so it will not be used often for what you want people to use it for.

It might be possible to toggle it on/off in options but still don't expect a lot of people to use it.

Davey
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:51 pm

You can just press both keys at once for extreme fast strumming.

Not if the second note is not in the "hit zone" at the time. Having an alternating strum is more rhythmic and allows you to feel more like you are playing the song.
Retired Fretter
tyros

Postby tyros » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:29 pm

It might be possible to toggle it on/off in options but still don't expect a lot of people to use it.

I would use it.
A strum key automatically strumming again when released proves to be confusing to people that strum 'the standard way' (just alternating between the two keys) as it feels completely different

You'd get used to it if you practice for a while.
Great idea, NewCreature, I support it :)
The Final Darkness
dadudemandude

Postby dadudemandude » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:23 pm

I would use it.
"a lot" doesn't means "no one" :p

Anyway, it's just a matter of opinion, I honestly do not need it myself while others do. If people do not consider this as a legal way of cheating (since this would make tough strumming sections a lot easier of course) I don't have anything against having it implemented, judging your answers you have thought the idea out well :)

I linked this idea to the sticky thread so people can easily find it even when this gets buried

Davey
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:38 pm

This is pretty much the same as using alt strum in Rock Band (in terms of movement, releasing a key is very similar to pulling up on the strum after pushing down). Many people just strum down (myself included), but alternate strumming is needed for fast repeated notes. It takes practice to master the timing but it isn't considered cheating in any way.
likes AlteredSky
Deseo Sangre

Postby Deseo Sangre » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:04 pm

NewCreature wrote:
You can just press both keys at once for extreme fast strumming.

Not if the second note is not in the "hit zone" at the time. Having an alternating strum is more rhythmic and allows you to feel more like you are playing the song.

Well, it works on Through the Fire and Flames.
FirethunderX

Postby FirethunderX » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:10 pm

I use backspace and the equal key, works ok for me

Return to “Thoughts ?”