Various nice idea's I came up with

What would you like to see added or fixed in FOF?
Forum rules
This topic is 15 years and 6 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
The Final Darkness
dadudemandude

Various nice idea's I came up with

Postby dadudemandude » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:06 am

Hey all,

I recently came up with a couple of original idea's here, two are helpful for the many awesome FoF players we have here on the net and there is also one I came up with just to make the song folders a little more 'neat' in a way:

Idea 1: Create in a song folder separate .ini's for the song parameters (song.ini) and for the scores on that song (scores.ini)
As it says, this involves the song folders to have two .ini files instead of one. One being the usual and one to save all those lines of score into.

Results? One very neat-looking song file without those messy score-codes in it and an .ini in which those score lines go. Of course there will be people saying things like: Then we need to reup all of our songs!! Well no, second part of the idea involves putting a button in the FoF options called 'generate/transfer score files' which, when pressed, progressively scans the data/songs folder and when it encounters a song folder w/o a scores.ini it will create one in there and then (if they are there), remove the score lines from the song.ini and transfer them to the score.ini .

A major advantage as well is the possibility to remove all scores without accidentialy removing other data in the song.ini!

Idea 2: Apart from % and note streak, save the time/date the song was played within the scores, for later reference
This is particulary handy for the people that like to monitor their own progress in their FoF playing skills.

FoF started of only being able to display the stars and highest score of each difficulty in the song list. Later on also note streak and exact percentage were displayed as well. So why not adding the date (and maybe even time) the score was added to the song as well? The time should be the time currently on the player's PC, this value should not be sent to the score charts as it doesn't really matters for other people due to the many different time regions the forum users live in.

The greatest advantage which is also it's sole purpose is for the FoF players to be able to see when was exactly the last time they played a certain song and got what score on it, and when they get a higher score later on it they can see how much they have progressed since the last time they played the song. Of course time is not entirely something that tells when you got better and it also depends on the song itself. But it still sure as hell helps you to keep track of any progress made.

Idea 3: Adding a skill meter that can give a rough estimation in what things you have improved and what you still need to work on (Possibly the hardest to make!!)
Whenever you finish playing a song you can see what aspects you did well on and what needs improvement. Like when the song is exactly half speedpicks and half hopo's (which will never be so, but I'm giving an example here) at the end after playing it a meter is displayed (possibly after the score screen as I don't think it'll fit otherwise) that will show how much % of the speedpicks and how high % of the hopo's you have hit.

These could be examples for meters for various aspects:
- Normal notes (neutral)
- Trills (where you need to hold the lowest note and tap higer ones, the higher notes are all the same, causing you to alternate between two notes)
- Taps (Like trills, except the high notes are various instead of the same)
- Reversed taps (They are taps, but this time the highest note is the same while the lower ones vary)
- 5-note sweeps (Notes are detected as a sweep when they are five notes that go from either 1 to 5 or 5 to 1, and they are at around the same distance from each other)
- Snakes (Or zigzags, a zigzag between three different notes, pretty hard to detect as there are lots of different types)
- Triplets (Either ascending or descending three notes in a set pattern, just like snakes pretty tough to detect)
- Hopo's (notes that are hopo notes but don't fit in any other category, except when they are the first note in a string of speedpick notes)
- Speedpicks (Strumming notes close to each other, in fact so close they have to be double-strummed)
- Sustains (Long notes, this could involve holding them as long as possible)
- Killswitch (Holding the killswitch as long as possible on notes where it is needed)
- Chords (more than one note at once, this can also involve fast switches between them)

May a certain aspect not be present in the song that meter is grayed out. Now the second part of the idea: In the main menu (or song selection menu, wherever it fits the best) there could be an option for 'view average skill level' which will serve to display all meters and the average of all times you played a song, for each aspect (like you first play a song equally consisting of speedpicks and taps, you get 90% on the speedpicks and 100% on the taps, after that you play the same song again, then you get 100% on the speedpicks but 90% on the taps, average on both will thus be 95%).

That average skill meter will also calculate your total average of % and display your 'skill level' depending on that (0-10% = wussie, 90-99% = awesome, 100% = guitar god for example). To top it off, you need to be able to reset it since if you have 100% as average at first but get a lower % later you will never ever get 100% as average again unless you reset it.

I hope I was clear at explaining the idea's here, thanks for reading and I hope you like them.

Davey
Last edited by dadudemandude on Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:33 am

You know, if the scores are not saved in codes, people can change it easily. I like the idea, but just don't change the way it saves the scores in codes.
The Final Darkness
dadudemandude

Postby dadudemandude » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:56 pm

acrox999 wrote:You know, if the scores are not saved in codes, people can change it easily. I like the idea, but just don't change the way it saves the scores in codes.
I didn't mention NOT encoding the scores, all it was about was transferring them to a different .ini and that's it. In the encoding of the scores there is no change.

Davey
Last edited by dadudemandude on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just call me MoM!
(-X~Maniac.of.Madness~X-)

Postby (-X~Maniac.of.Madness~X-) » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:23 pm

Awesome ideas there, Dude! =D
Although, I have a feeling that the 3rd will need ages to become real. =/
Anyway, your ideas are lovely. =)
Wants to help and express his opinion, but he's bored to do it.

ImageImageImage

R3MaK3R

Postby R3MaK3R » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:22 pm

Idea 1 is probably the best idea of the 3...
http://www.youtube.com/user/VanSanProductions
sub to my official youtube channel - My music, GTA IV, mini cartoons, and frets on fire videos!
The Wiitard
rednano12

Postby rednano12 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:29 pm

The third reminds me of JamLegends.
Oct. 30th is Cama appreciation day!

Check out my first song: Snow (Hey Oh)
The Silent . .
tarrende

Postby tarrende » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:46 am

Idea 2 & 3 sounds very cool imo.
The Score Date would be very cool to see you're improvement, well you'll see it one or another way, but with the date you could see how much time it took to reach a certain point.
coolguy567

Postby coolguy567 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:36 am

Idea 1: Create in a song folder separate .ini's for the song parameters (song.ini) and for the scores on that song (scores.ini)
That's a good idea. It always bugged me how the scores were saved in song.ini; mixing the song's parameters with "save data" doesn't make sense. It would also make sense to put unlock_completed in scores.ini.

Spoiler:

OzzyOzrock wrote:
Electro Tomato wrote:
Sealclubber wrote:I believe the proper term for these notes are "EPIC NOTES" due to the fact that they are EPIC!!!!

Memes are so funny hahaha I'm splitting with laughter I can't control this laughter at this meme which uses a word incorrectly oh hahaha

:glare:

That was EPIC.

My songs. All made in EOF, beat-synced and note-synced, not very many missed notes.
Switchfoot - Meant to Live (now with drums)
Delirious? - Investigate (Live)
likes AlteredSky
Deseo Sangre

Postby Deseo Sangre » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:26 pm

Yeah, that's pretty useful,
for example,

If you just made a song, and upload it, then everyone gets your score, which is sometimes very unuseful.
2 + 2 = 5
MarvinPA

Postby MarvinPA » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:04 pm

I hate do do this but... *ideas.
The Wiitard
rednano12

Postby rednano12 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:06 pm

??? Idgi marvin
Oct. 30th is Cama appreciation day!

Check out my first song: Snow (Hey Oh)
2 + 2 = 5
MarvinPA

Postby MarvinPA » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:57 pm

Lol wut?
The Final Darkness
dadudemandude

Postby dadudemandude » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:22 pm

MarvinPA wrote:Lol wut?
He doesn't get it

And to anyone, thanks for the support, I didn't quite expect idea 1 to be the favorite though, I'm kinda surprised by that.

Davey
Last edited by dadudemandude on Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Thoughts ?”