Geometry by FozZ - questions, etc.

Discuss mods and get help with mods ONLY
FozZ

Postby FozZ » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:48 am

This thread is for those who have comments based on my geometry post in the Completed Mods sticky.

Please leave questions, suggestions, etc. here, thanks.
My Portfolio Website - http://www.monophobia.co.uk
arethemad

Postby arethemad » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:53 am

I love the notes and only have one complaint. It isn't a big deal at all either. I just think the white stripe might be a little too big. Like I said, that isn't a really big deal. Still the best notes I've seen so far.
XplittR

Postby XplittR » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:42 pm

can you give link to where to download please? its neigher here or in the complete mod post...
Signature truncated. Please see this post.
<!--
-->
FozZ

Postby FozZ » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:53 pm

If you read the post in the completed mods you'd see that they rely on the RF-mod 1.5 and as such are included with that release.

vhmalex

Postby vhmalex » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:38 am

Hey dude, you used one of my designs in your guitar label mod.

I don't mind or anything, but you could have let me know. : P
vhmalex

Postby vhmalex » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:06 pm

YA :|
mmsven

Postby mmsven » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:08 pm

Fozz has been busy lately so he might not respond
Rogue_F

Postby Rogue_F » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:30 am

can you be more specific on what design he used?

-Alex
FozZ

Postby FozZ » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:45 pm

vhmalex wrote:YA :|

wtf?

I have no idea what you're on about. The labels code-wise were implemented by Rogue-F and I made the 3d model for the guitar case and the face that the labels are set to appear on. What're you meaning?

Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:57 pm

Hey Fozz, im trying to have a go at changing the geometry for the folder label, but i cant get it to display, even if i try to import your folderlabel then export it right back out without doing anything to it, it is invisible as if it doesnt have texture info.
I know its gotta be down to my import or export options in Max, i tried leaving them as default but that didnt work.
Any ideas ? ive included the import/ export options in case you can point me in the right direction.
Any help you can give will be greatfully received.

Image Image

Cheers in advance! Nobby76.
P.s. i will get a pic and vid of me and THE BEAST up online as soon as i can convince my bro to lend me his camcorder ! :)
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
FozZ

Postby FozZ » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:06 am

First off, you can uncheck everything bar geometry and lights when exporting, as there is none of that data and it only takes up additional file space to essentially say they aren't there. Next, make sure your geometry is an 'editable mesh' as I've experienced some glitching when using editable poly mode. Sadly this does often double the file size, but it stops wierd glitches etc.

Now make sure that the pieces are named correctly (Mesh, Mesh_001, Mesh_002)

If you now export and things still don't show up, try the following - [this definately applies if you have used the mirror tool or adjusted the placement of the gizmo/pivot point at all]

(I haven't got Max installed atm, due to yet another format, so i'll do my best to get this right)

1. Select the object.

2. Click on the far right tab of your menu (the one where you have the create tab, modifiers, display, etc.) - I think it's the utilities tab.

3. Click 'Reset XForm' and further properties will appear. Click Reset selected. (if i'm not right in what is available there, try and find where to reset the XForm)

4. Now you need to collapse the modifier stack so again in the utilities panel you have open, choose 'Collapse', again, more properties appear below where you can set to either collapse to a Mesh, or to stack result (or something like that). In this case it doesn't really matter so long as your object was an editable mesh then that's what it will result in anyway.

Click Collapse selected (or whatever is the obvious choice, again I cant remember) - then click the close button.

If you go back to the modifier tab (the blue rounded corner type one) then you should just see "editable mesh" with no modifierd above or below it. If you see 'XForm' or anything similar then you have not correctly collapsed the stack - bad boy, try again :p

If all is well, export the *.dae file again (choose File > Export, make sure geometry and lights are selected, click ok, and MAKE SURE you add '.dae' to the end of your file name, otherwise it will make it into the fbx file format, and FoF doesn't seem to recognise it, even though it's essentially the same thing).

Hope that helps.

Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:36 pm

cheers for the heads up mate. Just one. well bloody loads of questions really, ( coz i dont use max really, im a lightwave man) but the main one , is all this goodly info to get an object in the game or to make the labels show the actual image? i have an object in game at the moment ( i made a much simpler guitar case )

That works fine as you can see. but if i do the exact same process but for the folderlabel it doesnt show up. If i use your folderlabel it shows ( it doesnt fit obviously, but it shows)

I know im a pain in the ass, im also a half decent modeler, so its really bugging me that i cant get it to work!
was kinda hoping to be able to have a go at making a model for or with ya.
Last edited by nobby76 on Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
FozZ

Postby FozZ » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:14 pm

MY bad, didn't realise you'd got stuff working already. All that info was to be able to get geometry working in game.

To make my folder label I deleted all but the front faces of the model so that it would be the right shape. Next these faces need moving along their normal/axis - i.e. what will essentially be towards you when in game. This just means the label faces are away from the body and stops the graphical glitches that some people experienced.

Save in the same way, calling it folderlabel.dae

Use a plugin such as Texporter, or take a screengrab of the uvw editor once face mapping has been applied so that you get a base image of exactly the right proportions to use as your label image.

Hope you get it working.

That stuff aside, how old are you, do you model purely for yourself or for work? Got any examples of your stuff? My website hasn't been updated in ages but there is some of my stuff on there (check my sig.)

EDIT:

JUST REMEMBERED! You HAVE to make sure you put texture mapping co-ordinates on it, otherwise things will appear screwed up, or possibly not at all.
Last edited by FozZ on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:13 pm

ahh just a case of making sure the image is the same size n shape as the objects . NNNGGGGG i can be so retarded at times lol ill give that a go in a sec then. and let you know on my progress.

in regards to my personal self, im 30 ( old man i know LOL) i CG purely for myself, i do a bit of every thing really , moddeling ( not my strongest point) texturing, but my fave has to be character animation, ( i have poser 7, and endorphin) both brilliant char animators.
this was a quick test render, i was trying face mapping. im on the right, and my mate (Partner in crime) Clive is on the left.
Image. And heres a link to a quick test anim i was doing ages ago, i was trying for the good old bulletime effect , it kinda worked, but not 100% Time warper
FozZ

Postby FozZ » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:46 pm

Apparently I can't access that animation, even after signing up to Twango. Says it's a private channel.

I hate animating, lol, just couldn't ever get to grips with it. And no 30 isn't old, I might only be 22 but it feels like the years are flying by already, lol. Just hope I can get a games industry job after my Masters is over (currently having a break from one project because frankly it's a load of bollocks and not arts based so it doesnt interest me in the least).

The last head I did can be seen below. Was working from a tutorial and to be honest it's the first proper head i've done. Sadly my course is too much writing and not enough practise so I end up having to teach myself.

Return to “FOF Mod Discussion and Support”