Frets on Fire - Song Organizer - Frets on Fire - Song Organizer

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
mr_red

Postby mr_red » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:24 pm

[s]Download URL v0.1: http://www.sendspace.com/file/yc3ybj[/s]
Download URL v0.2: http://fof.hellmark.org/808fof_songorganizer_v02.zip

Feedback and bug-reports are welcome. I am sure more people than just me are tired of organizing these manually, so I made a small and efficient tool that does it for you. This tool was made as a thank-you tool to all of you guys whom share your large quantity of songs to everyone, this is my contribution.

// Mr. Red
Last edited by raph666 on Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shredder
Scutch-Nukem

Postby Scutch-Nukem » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:27 pm

Amazing and I'm taking note that this is your first post ever.
If you can read this then you've gone too far.
h3r1n6

Postby h3r1n6 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:33 pm

You could've describe a bit better what it does.

From the about of your program:

This program helps you to easily organize your Frets on Fire song collection. The initial release will give you the option to either sort it to a large song database, or to split it up per artist

So the programm collects folders in "artist - title" format and puts them into "artist" folders, if I understood it right.

Nice idea, and a good start, if you want to make future versions, I could give you some of ideas:
1. Read artist and title from the song.ini (folders aren't always labeled correctly)
2. Name the folders correctly (e.g. good for divras chart)
3. Make it recognize the GH files
mr_red

Postby mr_red » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:41 pm

Yes, this is my first post, and yes I should have described it a bit better, so here goes with a more in-depth description.

The program comes with 2 different naming modes, the default mode will create a artist directory, and inside of it create a directory of each song it finds belonging to that artist. The information about the artist/songs are read directly from the "song.ini" file and not from the directory itself. Just to clear the misunderstanding there.

The source directory does not need to have any spesific setup/layout, the program will recursively search for any "song.ini" file it can find, and then based on your setting create the structure in a new location with the information it finds.

If it doesn't manage to read a artist name, it will use "Various Artists" and all unknown songs will be placed in here. So will all songs where artist starts with any of the following chars: _ - : (

Naming the folders correctly/divas charts, I'd need a bit more explanation on this one as I have no idea what you are talking about hehe. Same to elaborate abit on the GH part.

// Mr. Red
runnin' down a dream
DreamOnMan92

Postby DreamOnMan92 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:47 pm

any Mac version planned? :(
DREAMONSONGS THREAD Newest:
Tom Petty - Don't Do Me Like That
Bon Jovi - Runaway
h3r1n6

Postby h3r1n6 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:51 pm

This eliminates point 1 and 2 from my list. :)
Divras chart takes new songs as "artist - title", the way you already did it.

Well the GH part would be an option for placing the GH songs somewhere apart from the regular songs.

Nice job,
everything else I can think of right now would take too long to implement, and not be that usefull at all.
skaniol

Postby skaniol » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:35 am

Yeah, would be good to have an option for GH songs. When checked - to move the songs in the appropriate GH folder, not in the artist folder. Also, what will happen if you have songs with the same song name and artist name but different folder name: For example I have
Folder: "Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water v1"
song.ini data: artist - Deep Purple song - Smoke on the Water
and
Folder: "Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water v2"
song.ini data: artist - Deep Purple song - Smoke on the Water

I'll appreciate if there is an option to delete the song.ogg if its a duplicate of the guitar.ogg in some folder (to save space). Long time ago I used the duplication tool and now I am too lazy to check which song.ogg is a duplicate to delete it so this is taking a lot of my free space.

It creates song.ini (for folders) in the new folders, right?
Image - Divra's Charts not working right now Raph's Charts
mr_red

Postby mr_red » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:48 pm

First for your first concern; if you have several directories with the same song/artist naming in the song.ini file, then the program will only sort the first file, and skip over the next files as it will then mark it as already existing. Could be an addition for later development to add the ability to sort the extra songs as well and just mark them as "v2" .. "v3" .. and so on.

So basically, if the directory contains both a guitar.ogg file and a song.ogg file, the song.ogg file can be deleted? If so, it's easy enough for me to add that feature, so that people can just select it to "cleanup dupes" and remove those un-needed files.

Yes, all the files from the original directory is copied into the new directory structure, that includes the songs, song.ini and also labels and what not that are stored inside those directories.

Now for GH songs, are they marked some way special so it's easy enough to filter them out? If so give me some examples on how they are marked, and I could easily add a feature to organize GH songs in their own structure. But I'd need to know a bit on how I could generically filter out them songs.

// Mr. Red
h3r1n6

Postby h3r1n6 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:22 pm

Yes, song.ogg can be deleted if its the same as guitar.ogg

And well, for the GH songs, they aren't marked in any way, except for their names.
Rogue_F

Postby Rogue_F » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:46 pm

mr_red wrote:First for your first concern; if you have several directories with the same song/artist naming in the song.ini file, then the program will only sort the first file, and skip over the next files as it will then mark it as already existing. Could be an addition for later development to add the ability to sort the extra songs as well and just mark them as "v2" .. "v3" .. and so on.

If you want to adopt the RF-mod extra tags you can use the version= string in song.ini to rename the directory with.

So basically, if the directory contains both a guitar.ogg file and a song.ogg file, the song.ogg file can be deleted? If so, it's easy enough for me to add that feature, so that people can just select it to "cleanup dupes" and remove those un-needed files.

Not quite. Only if the files are the same should you opt to clean the dupes. song.ogg and guitar.ogg can both be there and be different. It could truely be a separate track like the GH songs, and some of the custom songs. Or it could be a track with lowered volume, or filters applied to eliminate vocals.

You can probably be safe in assuming they are the same if the file sizes are identical (it's not guarenteed but it's likely to be the case)

Yes, all the files from the original directory is copied into the new directory structure, that includes the songs, song.ini and also labels and what not that are stored inside those directories.

Are you rewriting the song.ini's? or leaving them as is?

Now for GH songs, are they marked some way special so it's easy enough to filter them out? If so give me some examples on how they are marked, and I could easily add a feature to organize GH songs in their own structure. But I'd need to know a bit on how I could generically filter out them songs.

// Mr. Red

The GH songs are not particularly labeled, but if you want to adopt the RF-mod tag variable in the song ini you may need to do some parsing.

There's a song.ini variable called 'tags'. It contains a comma separated list of tags

Here's an example from Danzig - Mother song.ini

Code: Select all

tags = GH2,set=1,song=2,cover

It has a GH2 tag, which means its from GH2 (duh) there's GH, GH2, GH280s,GH2xbox you could match on.
set=1 means it's a tier 1 song
song=2 means it's song #2 in a set
cover means it's a cover (not the original song).

What do I use these for? Well in an upcoming version of RF-mod when I implement the song database it allows for easy sorting, searching and organizing songs.

Also I can display songs and folders differently based upon the tags. Like right now I name my songs and folders for GH something like

Code: Select all

name = 2 - Mother

that way it orders it the same way GH did for that tier.

Also if it has 'cover' I can alter the intro to add 'As made famous by:' in front of the artists name.

Now obviously this is all stuff that does not exist in most people's song.ini's at this point. I've added it to all mine and it will be in all the future versions of RF-mod. other than that I don't think there's an easy way to tell what are GH songs.

One last suggestion for your program would be an option to wipe all the high scores.

-Alex
mr_red

Postby mr_red » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:35 pm

Download url v0.2: http://www.sendspace.com/file/cpbzzt

For some reason I am not allowed to edit my own post, so I couldn't update that one. I've implemented most of the suggestions that came here; I'll also implement the GH suggestions you came with Alex though since it's not widely used right now then I chose to use my time on these new functions instead as those would be more useful to the people here.

One note; after you've sorted your directory you can use the tool again on it to wipe highscores/find duplicate song.oggs. Just set the source/destination directory to the same directory, select "ignore existing songs" and make sure that the destination folder settings are the same as what you sorted your directory as. So if you sorted it to a flat collection, then select that. Then just select "erase all highscore entries" and also "delete song.ogg..." and click the start button, it won't re-arrange the collection, just browse through and remove highscores/song.ogg files.

// Mr. Red
mr_red

Postby mr_red » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:37 pm

Also, when you are sorting a collection, you can now choose to tag the different versions. If the program finds that you've already got a song that has been sorted in your collection with the same artist/songname, it will then create a new entry using vX (where X can be between 2 and 20) so in theory you could then have;

Acdc - Hells Bells
Acdc - Hells Bells v2
Acdc - Hells Bells v3
Acdc - Hells Bells v4 .. and so on.

// Mr. Red
yogsothoth

Postby yogsothoth » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:17 pm

Scutch-Nukem wrote:Amazing and I'm taking note that this is your first post ever.

Give the man an award!
A damn good one too!
Shredder
Scutch-Nukem

Postby Scutch-Nukem » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:20 pm

yogsothoth wrote:
Scutch-Nukem wrote:Amazing and I'm taking note that this is your first post ever.

Give the man an award!
A damn good one too!

I give awards?

Since when?

lol I'm joking...

<_<

>_>

Seriously, I can't come up with an award! I've lost my touch...
If you can read this then you've gone too far.
yogsothoth

Postby yogsothoth » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:22 pm

I award you Scutch's Award For Best Damn App Involving FoF To Ever Come Out And That Ever Will Come Out, and Best First Post To Ever Be Created In The History Of Mankind.

Was that any good? :D

Return to “General FOF Discussion”