A birthday and some renovations!

Questions/Comments/Requests about the forum itself
This topic is 8 years and 6 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

A birthday and some renovations!

Postby nwru » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:46 am

:2thumbsup: It's the 9th anniversary of the Frets on Fire Fan Forum today! :2thumbsup:

To celebrate, we're going to commit to some long overdue forum updates. We've seen some great ideas in this Forum Talk forum and appreciate the input.

My current to-do list:
* Update to the latest version of phpBB. We're a few versions behind, as the updates haven't really been worth the time.
* Replace all 4 forum styles (familiar, Dark Fire, Rainbow Pearl, Rainbow Pearl Red) with one, unified style. It will be more appealing to the eyes for sure. "familiar" was quickly thrown together back in 2008 with the intent on keeping the same eye-bleeding fire theme as the previous board.
* Bring on 3 moderators to, well, moderate the forums.
* Update our phpBB modifications and add new features that make everyone's life easier. Perhaps something like an automatic dead-link checker? A thank-you system?

What I'd like from YOU:
* A new phpBB style! Are you handy with CSS? Maybe you've come across a style that you think would look great on here. Reply at THIS topic with your recommendations/creations and we'll pick the best one. Two rules: they need to be prosilver-based and keep some of the fire-colored spirit of the existing styles.
* Moderator recommendations. Reply at THIS topic with who you think would be a good moderator. They should be established and trusted by others in the community. No recommending yourself, of course. Just write a name and a quick reason why you think so. We have a few users in mind already, but would like your feedback too.
* phpBB modification recommendations. Again, we have a few in mind already. However, we wouldn't want to overlook a potentially cool feature. Many can be found in phpbb.com's mod database and some can be found elsewhere. Reply at THIS topic if you find anything worthwhile.
* Any other ideas you have! This is the time to be heard and improve our community!

There will be more to come! These are just the ones that we're starting off with to make a solid foundation, then we'll work on reorganizing things. Start posting below what you'd like to see, even if it's overlapping from the forum survey topic.

Thanks in advance. ~fretsonfire.org admins :cool:
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki
The last forum user
Maupy2

Re: A birthday and some renovations!

Postby Maupy2 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:54 pm

Great to hear all this stuff!:D I wish I could be of some help, but I'm not that great with css and stuff.
My song thread (mostly guitar)
MY FIRST STORY song thread
A Day To Remember Hero REVIVAL
A Lot Like Birds

My name is Maurits.
They/them pronouns
If you want to reach me, send me a private message. I don't usually log in any more, but I have email notifications turned on for private messages.
wee little kid
m1999

Postby m1999 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:04 pm

Happy birthday to the forum! Looking forward to the upcoming changes/updates etc :2thumbsup:
Last edited by m1999 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE RiPPER
bluzer

Postby bluzer » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:23 pm

Sweet! Nine years has been a long time indeed almost 8yrs for me, but who's counting!

HBD!
Image .... Image

-=-=-=-=-=- Request Your RB Songs Here: Song Request Page! -=-=-=-=-=-

The Who - Behind Blue Eyes Hidden Rock Band Rip!(expert only, Puppetz Style Custom!)
Scrolling Lyrics Tutorial (Rockband Style) 4 MFH-Alarian Mod
Guitar Hero: Aerosmith (links updated 10.12.09)
Guitar Hero: Metallica + DLC
Guitar Hero: Van Halen
Guitar Hero 5 DLC (incomplete)
Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock: (for FoF / FoFiX / Phase Shift)
ALL Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock DLC Downloadable
Rock Band 3: (for FoF / FoFiX / Phase Shift)
Available as RB3 DLC:
~~Bon Jovi: Greatest Hits (Rock Band Edition)
~~The Bee Gee's 01 Track Pack
~~John Lennon's "Imagine" Album
~~Queen Extravaganza Pack
~~Queen RB3 Enhanced Pack
~~Billy Joel: The Hits (Rock Band Edition)
~~Johnny Cash 01 Track Pack
~~Dragonforce RB3 DLC Songs
~~Linkin Park 6 Pack
~~Ozzy 8-Pack
~~The Doors: Greatest Hits
~~Lady GaGa 02
~~Bruno Mars TP
~~Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood
~~Megadeth - Rust In Peace
~~Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With the Chili Peppers
~~Foo Fighters Track Pack 02/03/04
~~Coldplay Collection 01
~~Nirvana 01/02 & Celebrating Nirvana TPs
~~Avenged Sevenfold 01 TPs +2
~~20 Single DLCs

All of the links under this button are dead, its here for an archived version of my old "sig"
Brightbaylan

Postby Brightbaylan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:49 pm

Long over due indeed. I've been here since 2008 (with a different account obviously) so this is extremely exciting news. I'm glad it was announced before I was blinded by the current theme. Hopefully with an updated look it'll attract more attention.

Sadly I am of no use in any of these departments so I'll be the lazy bum I am and watch things play out. :tongue:
THE RiPPER
bluzer

Postby bluzer » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:19 am

Hmm... Well I don't see post wiki's in that site. Would like to keep those. Possibly a update for that though(sortable columns). :wink: :wink:

Also I know a "Thank You" button users would like that too.

Most of Tune posting is dead, perhaps, archive all threads >5 pages? I know some links are "still alive", but still a lot of dead links. The new mods (incoming) can move them from the old Tune Posting to the new active(not active, but not dead).
Image .... Image

-=-=-=-=-=- Request Your RB Songs Here: Song Request Page! -=-=-=-=-=-

The Who - Behind Blue Eyes Hidden Rock Band Rip!(expert only, Puppetz Style Custom!)
Scrolling Lyrics Tutorial (Rockband Style) 4 MFH-Alarian Mod
Guitar Hero: Aerosmith (links updated 10.12.09)
Guitar Hero: Metallica + DLC
Guitar Hero: Van Halen
Guitar Hero 5 DLC (incomplete)
Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock: (for FoF / FoFiX / Phase Shift)
ALL Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock DLC Downloadable
Rock Band 3: (for FoF / FoFiX / Phase Shift)
Available as RB3 DLC:
~~Bon Jovi: Greatest Hits (Rock Band Edition)
~~The Bee Gee's 01 Track Pack
~~John Lennon's "Imagine" Album
~~Queen Extravaganza Pack
~~Queen RB3 Enhanced Pack
~~Billy Joel: The Hits (Rock Band Edition)
~~Johnny Cash 01 Track Pack
~~Dragonforce RB3 DLC Songs
~~Linkin Park 6 Pack
~~Ozzy 8-Pack
~~The Doors: Greatest Hits
~~Lady GaGa 02
~~Bruno Mars TP
~~Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood
~~Megadeth - Rust In Peace
~~Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With the Chili Peppers
~~Foo Fighters Track Pack 02/03/04
~~Coldplay Collection 01
~~Nirvana 01/02 & Celebrating Nirvana TPs
~~Avenged Sevenfold 01 TPs +2
~~20 Single DLCs

All of the links under this button are dead, its here for an archived version of my old "sig"
weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:54 pm

Honestly i never had to much of an issue with the default theme. However something fresh could be nice :)
Developer of clone hero, and Former FoFiX developer
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:33 am

bluzer wrote:Hmm... Well I don't see post wiki's in that site. Would like to keep those. Possibly a update for that though(sortable columns). :wink: :wink:

The postwiki (aka wikipost :laugh:) setup isn't going anywhere. It's not perfect, but it was a ton of work getting it to work in the first place.

On a related note, I'm also thinking about pulling existing Wiki (at wikidot) over to fretsonfire.org. Again, that wouldn't be a small amount of work. That can be considered down the road, though.
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

FrOoGle

Postby FrOoGle » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:44 am

So, I was thinking. Whenever you up/downvote someone's karma, you should have to provide a reason for it.
My Song Thread - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59701
FrOoGle HeRo I - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=628936#p628936
FrOoGle HeRo II (unfinished :C) - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=58720
FrOoGle HeRo III - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=637471#p637471
FrOoGle HeRo IV - viewtopic.php?f=17&p=638836
Bullet Train Blast - Nothing Remains (full album) - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=630599#p630599
Shadows Fall - Fire From the Sky (full album) - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59287&p=634454&hilit=Shadows+fall#p634454

Signature picture provided by The---Way
The last forum user
Maupy2

Postby Maupy2 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:56 am

FrOoGle wrote:So, I was thinking. Whenever you up/downvote someone's karma, you should have to provide a reason for it.

Hmm I don't think this is a good idea, sorry. I don't see the point of it, and it'd only prevent me from up- or downvoting someone's karma because I'm lazy and I don't want to describe the reason.
A Lot Like Birds

My name is Maurits.
They/them pronouns
If you want to reach me, send me a private message. I don't usually log in any more, but I have email notifications turned on for private messages.
farottone

Postby farottone » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:54 pm

Happy birthday guys, you really did an amazing job in building a passionate community. :thumbup:
C3 | Author • Share • Passion
Still Alive
wolferacing

Postby wolferacing » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:00 pm

Man, that means I've been here for 8 years. I'm getting old... nwru it's all your fault. :glare: Glad to see updates finally coming!
abloobloo
RedShadow

Postby RedShadow » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:22 am

Maupy2 wrote:
FrOoGle wrote:So, I was thinking. Whenever you up/downvote someone's karma, you should have to provide a reason for it.

Hmm I don't think this is a good idea, sorry. I don't see the point of it, and it'd only prevent me from up- or downvoting someone's karma because I'm lazy and I don't want to describe the reason.

That's a very compelling argument.
If you're too lazy to write up a reason it was probably not important enough to warrant a vote.
The last forum user
Maupy2

Postby Maupy2 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:36 am

RedShadow wrote:
Maupy2 wrote:

That's a very compelling argument.
If you're too lazy to write up a reason it was probably not important enough to warrant a vote.

More like, I'm bad with words.xd writing a reason would probs take me 5 minutes. Which aint that much time, but its more time than im willing to spend on it.

Edit: and I think people whose first language isn't english will encounter the same problem
A Lot Like Birds

My name is Maurits.
They/them pronouns
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:27 pm

Just letting you guys know that any noticeable changes won't come until mid September. My schedule is pretty full until around Labor Day, so hang in there. Me putting this in writing will help me stick to it too :cool:

Return to “Forum Talk”