Computer Help! - Adding RAM

Everything else in here
This topic is 14 years and 7 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Lovin Life
kpChadR08

Computer Help! - Adding RAM

Postby kpChadR08 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:48 pm

Had 2 x 256MB of RAM installed and everything worked fine.
I tried to upgrade to 2 x 1GB of RAM.
When I start the computer it wont go past the Windows XP screen.

Each 1GB RAM stick worked separately and with either 256MB stick; but not together.

I Then purchased a 1 x 2GB chip and my computer wont load past the Windows XP screen.

I've tried going to Best Buy but of course they wont help me unless I fork over lots of money. But, they did say that everything was compatible. And there should be no reason why it wouldn't work.

BTW, I bought one of the 1GB sticks from Crucial.com and the 2GB stick from Crucial.com. And Crucial said it would be compatible.

PLEASE HELP!

Specs:
- Windows XP Home Edition
- Manufacturer: Compaq Presario 061
- Processor: AMD Sempron 3400+, MMX, ~1.8GHz
- Allows up to 2048MB of virtual memory.

Any Help Would Be GREATLY appreciated. THANK YOU!
"Rule 36: I am Legend, you are Beowulf, we are Marshal, and this is Sparta"
- IRC Channel

Songs Completed:Woo Hoo, Bring Me to Life
mmsven

Re: Computer Help! - Adding RAM

Postby mmsven » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:52 pm

Depends what type of ram everything is. Your computer probably can't use DDR2 ram and when you use 1gb+256mb, it is only reading the 256mb.
aka drumbilical
italianstal1ion

Postby italianstal1ion » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:53 pm

You would be better off asking a computer tech forum or http://answers.yahoo.com can sometimes get your answer pretty quickly.
Index of all Drum Topics on the Forum in one convenient place
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Drum Project 7 Released!
Drum Project 8 Released!
Drum project 9 Released!!
Image My personal topic.
Can't get enough?

Spoiler:Image Feedback + EOF Pro Notation
Image Albelgim collaboration
If you appreciate my work and would like to see more, a donation would certainly motivate me! Thank you.

Lovin Life
kpChadR08

Postby kpChadR08 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:05 pm

1. When I use the 1GB + 256MB, it does read both. I check it when I load up my computer. The computer properties says I have 1.25GB of RAM (right now, cause I have 1GB & 256MB installed).

2. I posted my question 2 days on Yahoo Answers and I only got 1 response, and it was no help.

I've literally looked everywhere for help.
There are zero reasons why my computer wont accept the RAM, and yet, it wont.
- IRC Channel

The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:45 pm

Your computer can't support more then 1 gig of RAM. that is the only reason. I'm in the same boat, but i can only support up to 2 gigs
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Lovin Life
kpChadR08

Postby kpChadR08 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:44 pm

amak11 wrote:Your computer can't support more then 1 gig of RAM. that is the only reason. I'm in the same boat, but i can only support up to 2 gigs

The computer specs say that it CAN support up to 2GB of RAM.
So, that is incorrect my good sir.
- IRC Channel

Scooter1974

Postby Scooter1974 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:56 pm

My first thought was that you may need dual channel ram but then i read that you had mixed sizes in there, have you checked your bios for any settings that may be causing you problems?
Blue Murder wrote:To the person who said Coheed and Cambria is gay, I would very much appreciate it if you would sew your mouth shut and cut off all your fingers and communicate with us by bashing your hands into the keyboard like you have parkinson's disease.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:17 am

OH **** now i now the problem. What version of xp you have 32 or 64 bit. max supported in xp 32 bit is 2 gb, max supported in xp 64 bit is either 16gb or 32 gb. If you want to make 3 or more gb of RAM work in XP you must apply the patch. It just clicked in, documents may say 4gb of virtual RAM, thats just you page file. The max support physical RAM in xp 32 bit is 2 gb. If it's 64 bit i have no clue what your problem is. My CE teacher had the patch on his flash drive that allowed you to support up to 4 gb of physical RAM.

But in the instace that i'm wrong your computer only supports 2 gb physical ram
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:55 am

... You are so wrong. 32 bit can support up to 4gb of ram (but at that point you only get access to about 3.5 gb of RAM). You cannot "patch" an OS with 32 bit architecture to allow more ram.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
crazy.neo

Postby crazy.neo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:28 am

Use a Linux Live CD and see if it still happens, it will confirm if it is either Window's fault or a hardware issue. If you can boot just fine, and all the 2GB are detected, try the to lower your RAM speed in the BIOS settings, and look for a "compatibility mode". Try booting into Safe Mode, if you can, update your chipset drivers. If all else fails, update BIOS.
Lovin Life
kpChadR08

Postby kpChadR08 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:31 pm

@amak:
Yes; it is 32-bit. But, im only trying to get up TO 2GB. Nothing higher.
Whether you or Raptor or right; this shouldn't be the problem.

@Crazy.neo:
- I don't wanna start messing around with anything Linux (bad experiences).
- Lowering RAM speed. How?
- I cannot boot into Safe Mode if 2GB is installed.
- Update BIOS. Tried it; didn't work. Unless I did it wrong.
- IRC Channel

Rapt0r

Postby Rapt0r » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:39 pm

Running a Live Linux CD won't cause any harm to your computer. You're HD can't even be accessed until you mount it so nothing can be changed. It's only to see if it will boot.
DISCLAIMER: The above text should be consumed at your own risk. If you happen to take it seriously, you are an idiot.
crazy.neo

Postby crazy.neo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:52 pm

kpChadR08 wrote:- I don't wanna start messing around with anything Linux (bad experiences).

You don't have to install anything, it's just to see if it will boot at all (evaluate if it's Window's fault). If you want to try it, just download a copy of Ubuntu and see if the computer boots to the desktop with it. It's a common problem detection practice nowadays.

- Lowering RAM speed. How?

Generally you can change it by entering the BIOS. When inside, it's up to you, every BIOS is different and some don't even allow it. If it's there, it's generally under something like "Memory Settings" or "Hardware Settings".

- I cannot boot into Safe Mode if 2GB is installed.

That's not a good sign :sad:

Seems all you have left is either to format and hope it was some weird Windows issue, or simply stick with 1.25GB. I'd try the Linux Live CD first just to clear things up...
One of the things that may be happening is that your Power Supply can't provide enough juice to power both units, and if that's the case, your only solution is really to replace it or mess around with the voltage settings in the BIOS and risk frying your computer. I think it isn't worth it for the marginal performance gains of 2GB over 1GB, especially if your machine had 512MB to begin with.
Lovin Life
kpChadR08

Postby kpChadR08 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:25 pm

Would I be able to buy a new power supply in order for it to work?

Also, my computer seems to run faster/smoother/etc. when I have only 1GB installed over if I have 1.25GB installed. Is this normal?
- IRC Channel

crazy.neo

Postby crazy.neo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:41 pm

kpChadR08 wrote:Would I be able to buy a new power supply in order for it to work?

If that's the problem, sure.

Also, my computer seems to run faster/smoother/etc. when I have only 1GB installed over if I have 1.25GB installed. Is this normal?

It is if they have different speeds. That is, if the 1GB runs at a high speed and the 256MB runs at an inferior speed, when used together the 1GB will have to run at the same speed as the 256MB, thus reducing performance.

Return to “Off-Topic”