Anthman852's DRUM Fretting Tutorial

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 13 years and 11 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Awesome Drum Charter
anthman852

Anthman852's DRUM Fretting Tutorial

Postby anthman852 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:10 pm

DRUM FRETTING TUTORIAL
Here is my drum fretting tutorial. There are a few things you need to do before you get started however.

Reading Material:
1. Puppetz tutorial 1
2. Puppetz tutorial 2
3. Puppetz tutorial 3
4. Nobby's tutorial
5. Rockband creator tutorial

Things You Will Need:
1. Tablature Editor(I recommmend TuxGuitar because it is free)
2. FL Studio
3. Feedback(get .96b...it is better than .97b). You can use EOF if you have to. :(
4. A functioning brain.

Preliminary Stuff

1st thing you need to do is get a tab. I like to use http://www.ultimate-guitar.com

Find a power tab or guitar pro tab for your song with a "percussion" section in it. Not all songs will have a tab with percussion. Don't cry if you can't find a drum tab.

Once you find and download your tab, open it with some sort of tablature software and export it as a midi file.

Now open your midi with Flstudio. Make sure you don't have "Realign Events" checked.

Now you have to find the drum part of the midi. It will be the pink/red one. Delete all the other ones by right clicking on them and pressing delete.

Now you need to open your notes so you can see them. You can do this by clicking on the notes. Now that it is open you will see the notes and off to the left there will words saying what drum each note pertains to. You can also mouse over the notes and see what drum they are for.

Now it is time to move your notes to the right places. You can select all the notes of one kind at once using the select tool, for example, clicking on the "electric snare" key over to the left will select all the "electric snare" notes. As you should have read in Nobby's tutorial, frets on fire reads the notes in the C8-E8 area.

As far as where you should drag the notes, here is a simple guide to where the drums should be placed:

Green(C8) - all bass drum notes in the midi
Red(C#8) - any kind of snare drum or really fast hi-hat
Yellow(D8) - all "closed" or "pedal" hi-hat notes
Blue(D#8) - all "open" hi-hat notes, all tom notes(you will split these up later), and all ride cymbal notes
Orange(E8) - all other "cymbal notes""

After you have moved all the notes around you need to "shrink" them.(Look at Puppetz Tutorial 3 to see what I mean). This will make it so you don't have any "tails" on your drums notes. That pretty much covers everything you need to do in fl studio. Now you just need to rename your new track "PART DRUMS" and export it as a midi.

YOU ARE NOT DONE YET!!!!!

If I catch anyone stopping at this point I swear I will shoot them. Tabs are never 100% perfect. If someone finds a perfect tab please tell me so we can praise the tab gods together. Basically what I am saying is that now you need to open your midi in Feedback so you can listen to it with the song and make everything from BPM to note placement changes. One thing you should look out for is the bass pedal notes, because tabs usually get them wrong.

Now is the time for me to teach you one of the more complicated drum fretting issues, tom-tom fretting. In Fl studio you simply put all the tom notes as "blue" and left them. Now you need to separate them based on how high or low they are. What you need to know is that "yellow" is the highest tom and "green" is the lowest tom. As far as other fretting techniques all I can tell you is that you should look at RB drum videos. Study them to find out new fretting techniques.

That pretty much covers it. After you have made all the necessary changes in Feedback you are done.

Please Give Suggestions/Complaints/Comments. :2thumbsup:
Last edited by anthman852 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
2 + 2 = 5
MarvinPA

Re: Anthman852's DRUM Fretting Tutorial

Postby MarvinPA » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:50 am

Thank god you posted this. Maybe I'll make mine one day. Although I fret really complicated =D
Awesome Drum Charter
anthman852

Postby anthman852 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:39 pm

MarvinPA wrote:Thank god you posted this. Maybe I'll make mine one day. Although I fret really complicated =D

if you want I can add some of your stuff to this post...
holystoneH

Postby holystoneH » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:16 pm

anthman852 wrote:
Blue(D#8) - all "open" hi-hat notes, all tom notes(you will split these up later), and all ride cymbal notes
Green(E8) - all other "cymbal notes""

everybody is making a tutorial but only make a summary of the equivalent drum parts to the fof notes. would it be possible to make a full complete list of this? for example which fof note is a bell? would it be not better to just write down every FL element and his possible fof note?
Drum Fretter
blackfish55

Postby blackfish55 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:57 pm

Didn't know guitar pro had such a big drum library, thanks for the hookup!
Awesome Drum Charter
anthman852

Postby anthman852 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:10 pm

holystoneH wrote:
anthman852 wrote:
Green(E8) - all other "cymbal notes""

everybody is making a tutorial but only make a summary of the equivalent drum parts to the fof notes. would it be possible to make a full complete list of this? for example which fof note is a bell? would it be not better to just write down every FL element and his possible fof note?

well bells and stuff are the fretter's preference(I use green or blue). The best thing I can tell you is to watch rb videos. That is how I figured out how to fret stuff. Or, if that is to much of an inconvenience for you I will help you fret parts of a song if you give me a youtube or mp3 link to it.
700+ songs fretted!!
Puppetz

Postby Puppetz » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:23 am

Too much to read. But great tutorial. Nothing new for me... but anyway, could be stated if it's not said already. That most tabs are lacking usually lots of bass notes. That's what I've noticed as I've fretted.

Anthman: These "~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~" things... makes the window double size wide. xD I suggest you cut it down a bit! :laugh:
Image To support my work and help me get a new computer. Thanks!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Awesome Drum Charter
anthman852

Postby anthman852 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:48 am

Puppetz wrote:Too much to read. But great tutorial. Nothing new for me... but anyway, could be stated if it's not said already. That most tabs are lacking usually lots of bass notes. That's what I've noticed as I've fretted.

Anthman: These "~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~" things... makes the window double size wide. xD I suggest you cut it down a bit! :laugh:

thanks, I fixed the first post
drwsc6

Postby drwsc6 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks a lot for this tutorial! I really appriciate the time you've put into making it easy for someone to fret their own songs. I have been able to get a basic song going and working in FoFix, but only for the guitar part. Is there a way to make the song a drum part with the base lines ect. ? Do I need to be using something different than feedback? Thanks for any help and sorry if I've missed something obvious.
Awesome Drum Charter
anthman852

Postby anthman852 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:09 am

drwsc6 wrote:Thanks a lot for this tutorial! I really appriciate the time you've put into making it easy for someone to fret their own songs. I have been able to get a basic song going and working in FoFix, but only for the guitar part. Is there a way to make the song a drum part with the base lines ect. ? Do I need to be using something different than feedback? Thanks for any help and sorry if I've missed something obvious.

you can use feedback...the green "note" is the bass pedal line.
Nicknamed Shamrock
Kermit4Prez

Postby Kermit4Prez » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:19 pm

Which midi note is for starpower? And aren't they using one for Big Rock Endings in the latest beta?

Spoiler:

It's not a real goose, it's only a picture of one.

Awesome Drum Charter
anthman852

Postby anthman852 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:35 pm

Kermit4Prez wrote:Which midi note is for starpower? And aren't they using one for Big Rock Endings in the latest beta?

I'm not sure...try looking at some of puppetz charts.
pimpinpalomo

Postby pimpinpalomo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:13 am

Kermit4Prez wrote:Which midi note is for starpower? And aren't they using one for Big Rock Endings in the latest beta?

yes, Big Rock Endings are in the latest beta. take a look at this thread to see how to put them in songs: https://www.fretsonfire.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32953

it should also answer your question about custom starpower notes.
FoF FTW!
Joe2k9

Postby Joe2k9 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:12 pm

how do i download tabs?
Awesome Drum Charter
anthman852

Postby anthman852 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:25 pm

Joe2k9 wrote:how do i download tabs?

Scroll down and hit the "download this tab" button.

Return to “General FOF Discussion”