Guide for making accurate BPM - After Freetar

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 14 years and 9 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
SketchMan3

Postby SketchMan3 » Tue May 08, 2007 11:33 am

Guide to getting a clean looking midi file with (more-or-less)accurate bpm.

I've noticed alot of song.mid's that have been made with the freetar editor that have midi files that look ugly, and an inaccurate bpm. Here's how to make it look nice, and be nice. *Note: Freetar editor does NOT have a real tempo change option, so anything it spits out is an inaccurate tempo. I don't feel like explaining how that works, so just take my word on it.*
Here is a beatfinding tool that was posted in another thread by Heka.
Downloadable - http://www.mixmeister.com/download_freestuff.html

And here is one that you can use online.
http://www.vocalist.org.uk/beats_p....counter

Now, to optimize your Freetar editing experience, you should:
1. Find the Beats-Per-Minute of the song you're going to be lazering (by using one of the Beat finders above) and then

2. Divide that by 60 to find the Beats-per-second(BPS).

3. Now multiply that number according to these conditions:
a. If you're working on an average speed song, or section, multiply x4.
b. If it's a fast section multiply x8.
c. If it's mainly just slow chords, multiply x2.

Now go on and create your laser explosion the normal way https://www.fretsonfire.org/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=3286 , and save.

Now, that you've created your .sng, you want to make the song.mid look nice, and you want to make the lines in the game go with the notes in the lazer explosion.

You take the original BPM that you found by using a metronome or beatfinder listed above and, when converting your .sng to .mid using this - http://www.nukular.ch/foftools - click the "more options" link and enter the BPM into the "Override BPM" box. Then hit the convert button and save your new song.mid*!

And that's it. Plain and simple. Now, when someone opens the song.mid in Anvil Studio the notes will be more or less lined up with the bars in the "Piano Roll" editor. And the same goes for when the laser explosion is played in-game. The bars should line up with the notes.

*Note: For those of you who are using download managers, simply hitting the "Save" button will save the "foftools.htm(Or whatever it is) to your computer instead of the song.mid. You must disable your download manager in order to get the correct file (For me, it's as easy as hitting the "cancel" button when the "Free Download Manager" dialog box pops up. It then takes me to the default Microsoft downloader).
[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:03 pm

So wha is the point in the bps if you dont use it? All you need is the bpm correct.
life is what you make it so make it a damn good one

All My Songs and Mods Here
Huzzah!
R4L

Postby R4L » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:24 pm

[email protected] wrote:So wha is the point in the bps if you dont use it? All you need is the bpm correct.

It's called reading. Try it.

Sig disabled. ~nwru
[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:47 pm

SketchMan3 wrote:You take the original BPM that you found by using a metronome or beatfinder listed above and, when converting your .sng to .mid using this - http://www.nukular.ch/foftools - click the "more options" link and enter the BPM into the "Override BPM" box. Then hit the convert button and save your new song.mid*!

Ok i can read but other than that you dont even use the beats per second. So you try to read b4 making yourself look like an *******
life is what you make it so make it a damn good one

All My Songs and Mods Here
Huzzah!
R4L

Postby R4L » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:55 am

[email protected] wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:You take the original BPM that you found by using a metronome or beatfinder listed above and, when converting your .sng to .mid using this - http://www.nukular.ch/foftools - click the "more options" link and enter the BPM into the "Override BPM" box. Then hit the convert button and save your new song.mid*!

Ok i can read but other than that you dont even use the beats per second. So you try to read b4 making yourself look like an *******

Well, take this:

These help to find good BPM for certain sections of the song, therefore you want BPS. Who's the jackass now?

The only thing wrong with his whole tutorial is that you can't make BPM changes in Freetar.

Sig disabled. ~nwru
SketchMan3

Postby SketchMan3 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:03 am

R4L wrote:The only thing wrong with [s]his whole tutorial[/s] Freetar Editor is that you can't make BPM changes in Freetar.

*fixed*

I did forget to mention that you should set the BPS in Freetar editor after you multiply it by 2/4/8 whatever. =\

That was implied. I was just tired of seeing notes that don't scroll with the lines, and songs with a tempo of 100.

I've noticed that Mixmeister thing doesn't always get the tempo right if the song doesn't have a strong beat.

OH! And thanks reading and posting. I was beginning to think all the time I took to write this was going to go to waste.
Last edited by SketchMan3 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
JulianaMatw

Re: Guide for making accurate BPM - After Freetar

Postby JulianaMatw » Sun May 31, 2009 11:25 am

Hey guys, Me too was searching for the info about BPM After Freetar and I just wonder on how to make it..... here I got it, Cheers for sharing it....
I AM THE CATFISH MAN
Nathaniel607

Re: Guide for making accurate BPM - After Freetar

Postby Nathaniel607 » Sun May 31, 2009 2:48 pm

You shouldn't of made this topic, it may remind people that Freetar exists! There should be a rule that anyone who mentions Freetar is insta-perma-banned, then maybe if we stop thinking about it, it will cease to exist.

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Return to “General FOF Discussion”