fof for original xbox?

What would you like to see added or fixed in FOF?
Forum rules
unsteadycarrot

Postby unsteadycarrot » Tue May 06, 2008 4:50 pm

is there anyway someone could port the alarian FoF to the original xbox? it was possible with stepmania so why not fof?

im no coder but i know the xbox 1 could handle this and theres tonsof tool to help over at xbox scene.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:04 am

How about you try worrying about getting Just FOF on the xbox, forget about any mods or anythinhg like that. just the stock FOF is needed first of all, if you cant get the base game working you acn kiss all chances of ANY mods ever working.

I dont think you can get FOF working on an xbox anyway. first of all you have to install an OS onto the xbox, then oyu have to be able to get it to know what python is ( the language that fof was written in ) BTW stepmania wasnt written in python so thats why it was possible to make it work) I dont think there is a way to get Python working on an xbox, and if we cant get that working you will never get FOF working.
Yes your right... your no coder ( neither am i ), so we dont know all the ins and outs of this. But ill give you a hint. This game has been out for well over a year now And we do have plenty of coders on this forum, so if they was able to do it, dont you think they would have figured this out by now??
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
Scooter1974

Postby Scooter1974 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:29 am

Im a graphic designer by trade not a coder but i do have a modded xbox and you can run a few flavors of linux on it, and also xbox media center uses a lot of python in the program and for scripts etc. So I dont think i would be too far off in saying it "might" be possible.
Last edited by Scooter1974 on Wed May 07, 2008 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Murder wrote:To the person who said Coheed and Cambria is gay, I would very much appreciate it if you would sew your mouth shut and cut off all your fingers and communicate with us by bashing your hands into the keyboard like you have parkinson's disease.
2 + 2 = 5
MarvinPA

Postby MarvinPA » Wed May 07, 2008 1:31 pm

may be a dumb question, but is it possible to play FoF on your Xbox 360 through Windows Media Center? Just a thought...

Funny topic. Check it out.sillly topic
Last edited by MarvinPA on Wed May 07, 2008 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unsteadycarrot

Postby unsteadycarrot » Wed May 07, 2008 2:22 pm

nobby76 wrote:How about you try worrying about getting Just FOF on the xbox, forget about any mods or anythinhg like that. just the stock FOF is needed first of all, if you cant get the base game working you acn kiss all chances of ANY mods ever working.

I dont think you can get FOF working on an xbox anyway. first of all you have to install an OS onto the xbox, then oyu have to be able to get it to know what python is ( the language that fof was written in ) BTW stepmania wasnt written in python so thats why it was possible to make it work) I dont think there is a way to get Python working on an xbox, and if we cant get that working you will never get FOF working.
Yes your right... your no coder ( neither am i ), so we dont know all the ins and outs of this. But ill give you a hint. This game has been out for well over a year now And we do have plenty of coders on this forum, so if they was able to do it, dont you think they would have figured this out by now??

thanks for your input, but even though i am no coder, i DO know what can and what cannot be done on the original xbox, theres PLENTY of homebrew for the xbox as its basically just a gloryfied PC and with a modded xbox you can pretty much port anything to it, it already has emulators for just about every retro console made, including the psx and n64. stepmania for the pc is very similar to frets on fire, and with stepmania working perfectly for the xbox (ported from the pc version) i have no doubt that FoF could be possible.

i think the main reason no one has done a port of fof to the xbox is because the xbox 1 scene is dead really, as the modders found new software/hardware to play with on much more powerfull consoles.

as scooter said, you CAN get linux working perfectly on the xbox, so im assuming even a fof mac version would do just fine.
2 + 2 = 5
MarvinPA

Postby MarvinPA » Wed May 07, 2008 4:30 pm

But did you think of controllers? What controller would you use?
unsteadycarrot

Postby unsteadycarrot » Wed May 07, 2008 5:23 pm

MarvinPA wrote:But did you think of controllers? What controller would you use?

i have a xbox to ps2/dreamcast converter thing, there really cheap, not to mention you can get usb adapters. you can just use a playstation guitar on it.
garren42

Postby garren42 » Wed May 07, 2008 7:09 pm

Actually I Did get it working On My Xbox Running Linux (Modded Xbox) I Downloaded A Web browser for my original xbox (linksbox) and I added the Frets On Fire Folder via FTP to My Hard Drive of my xbox. Click File > Open From HD > .exe. in my xbox web browser And It Was Slow But Still Worked. I Had to Map The Keys Though. So Before You Map They Keys You need to make a usb port for a keyboard and then use your keyboard to access settings and change the keys from green to X, etc. Again, It's Slow Though
Last edited by garren42 on Wed May 07, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image By Kris(Euphoria)
yoyokid2008

Postby yoyokid2008 » Wed May 07, 2008 7:42 pm

garren42 wrote:Actually I Did get it working On My Xbox Running Linux (Modded Xbox) I Downloaded A Web browser for my original xbox (linksbox) and I added the Frets On Fire Folder via FTP to My Hard Drive of my xbox. Click File > Open From HD > .exe. in my xbox web browser And It Was Slow But Still Worked. I Had to Map The Keys Though. So Before You Map They Keys You need to make a usb port for a keyboard and then use your keyboard to access settings and change the keys from green to X, etc. Again, It's Slow Though

Vid of it or not true.
\
garren42

Postby garren42 » Wed May 07, 2008 11:04 pm

k i'll post 1 as soon as i get my disc drive workn again
Image By Kris(Euphoria)
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Thu May 08, 2008 2:44 am

yoyokid2008 wrote:Vid of it or not true.

Someones been hanging around 4chan too long lol
At least you didnt say " tits or GTFO "
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
warhol

Postby warhol » Thu May 08, 2008 4:39 am

nobby76 wrote:Someones been hanging around 4chan too long lol
At least you didnt say " tits or GTFO "

Lol @ mmsven
http://fof-empire.myminicity.com/tra
Wester Toes
kawaii_kumiko69

Postby kawaii_kumiko69 » Thu May 08, 2008 5:13 am

What did mmsven say?
2 + 2 = 5
MarvinPA

Postby MarvinPA » Thu May 08, 2008 12:50 pm

So... Over all you fancy setting up a workplace on Xbox Linux. Compiling Frets on Fire With Mods! Setting up the game to take a PS2 Controller as the guitar and releasing it...

Good luck with that....
#3 Pro Speed Fretter
Razlo7

Postby Razlo7 » Fri May 09, 2008 10:47 pm

garren42 wrote:Actually I Did get it working On My Xbox Running Linux (Modded Xbox) I Downloaded A Web browser for my original xbox (linksbox) and I added the Frets On Fire Folder via FTP to My Hard Drive of my xbox. Click File > Open From HD > .exe. in my xbox web browser And It Was Slow But Still Worked. I Had to Map The Keys Though. So Before You Map They Keys You need to make a usb port for a keyboard and then use your keyboard to access settings and change the keys from green to X, etc. Again, It's Slow Though

Hey heres a tip to make it run faster:
1. Uninstall the full version of the original FOF and remove it from the hard drive (it seems that the installed version is somewhat slower than a stand-alone version)
2. Download the stand-alone version of the newest Alarian mod from this site onto your Xbox
3. Map the controller!

... I havent tested it for Xbox (because I dont have an Xbox) but it worked for my computer! (Dell laptop w/Vista)
The 2d notes and keys along with non moving backgrounds and a list library on the Alarian really help!
:cool: please try it and tell me what happened
Last edited by Razlo7 on Fri May 09, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starting fresh. (:

Return to “Thoughts ?”