New FOF Project (6/9)

What would you like to see added or fixed in FOF?
Forum rules
This topic is 10 years and 10 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Remember thy name ..
Atticus2

New FOF Project (6/9)

Postby Atticus2 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:19 am

Frets On Fire was a huge inspiration to start programming for me. In the past month or so, i have learned a good deal about programming languages and a lot about C++. (Different than what FOF is written in, which is Python)
I was wanting to start up a project to make a new FOF styled game, similar but different also, I would like to have Network play put in somewhere. Allowing a simple Host name and Port number to be used to play with someone from another computer.

Like i said, i have learned a lot of C++ recently and i know there is much much more to learn. I have started up a project already and have a working joystick, Where when you press the green button on the xbox 360 controller, it prints out "Green" on the screen in a TTF not included on windows. So i do know a good deal on things, i just cannot do this alone. I am using C++ with the SDL library. Its very capable for what i am using it for.

So basically, this is a topic to find anyone who has some experience with programming languages and wants to make a new FOF game with some features maybe Python could not offer. I do plan on giving everyone who helps credit and a huge credit goes to FOF for being the initial inspiration for the project.

So, Is anyone interested?

=Edit=

So what i am wanting to do is make a team, dedicated to this project. We will need a few more coders than myself, I am slowly teaching a friend who will be helping out also. We will need a graphics department, making the graphics for the default theme and other things, like icons, ect. We will also need testers and anyother job you can think of suitable towards finishing this product. First things first. My e-mail is Rypa92|at|gmail|dot|com (Edit (nwru): fixed email link) Any questions or thoughts, you can e-mail or post on here. I check this more than my E-mail.

Now, i know that some people are going to just jump all over the testing part because they dont know much about either of the other things, but you do need to know a little bit about gaming, and some other general stuff that lets you give productive feedback.

So here is the team list so far. (This is not limiting parts or saying that you cannot join)

Coders -
- Atticus
- Needed (5)

Graphics -
- acrox999
- KTownEgghead
- amak11
- Needed (7)

Testers
- KTownEgghead
- acrox999
- amak11
- pimpinpalomo
- doomtron
- Needed (5)

Other (Specified) -
- Think of it.

============================================================================

I have changed everything about the theme so all those pics were way old.

6-9-09
Working Ini files!

6-18-09
I NEED SOME CODERS TO HELP ME!
please? =)
Last edited by Atticus2 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Helpfull Fretter
Yooble

Re: A New FoF Game

Postby Yooble » Sat May 16, 2009 9:22 am

What can be different in this game that can't be put into FoF?
Remember thy name ..
Atticus2

Postby Atticus2 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:32 am

Things i would like to see-

- Network capabilities
- Multiplayer(3 - 4 players)
- Online Ranking System
- Replay video (By sections?)
(Like, replay the Whole song, intro, solo 1, solo 2, outro, ect.)
- Freesytle ( Like on the Wii )

these are just some that i can think of, i also want other people to jump in and come up with things they would like also.
FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Postby jstump91 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:37 am

Whenever FoFiX needs something that can't be directly done in Python, I write an extension module (very easy process!) and am done with it. (See the second-to-last line of my signature.) Sometimes we then find a way to do it in pure Python (for example, my vocal pitch analyzer, which now uses numpy's fast Fourier transform functions), and I'm willing to give up on the extension module.

Python can do everything we want it to do already, and it can do a great deal of things that will allow us to implement new functions that we have wanted to add. (Python is quite good at network programming, for example, so if we were ever to try to do online play, we would just do it directly in the Python code.)

pygame, which the game is built upon, is a Python interface to SDL. Why rebuild the game from scratch atop the exact same libraries?

If you want to improve FoF(iX), I'd recommend learning Python (which is not difficult at all) and sending us patches.
jstump91, a.k.a. john.stumpo, a.k.a. stump
jstump.com | stump's blog | FoFiX development | My own code
Can't find a Windows build of the Python module you need? Try my mediafire!
Don't say "Python can't do [insert task here]." Python can do anything with the right modules - said modules may just not have been written yet.
"Python - why settle for snake oil when you can have the whole snake?" --Mark Jackson
Did you search before you posted? Did you read the rules for the subforum you are posting in?
Remember thy name ..
Atticus2

Postby Atticus2 » Sat May 16, 2009 10:06 am

jstump91 wrote:Whenever FoFiX needs something that can't be directly done in Python, I write an extension module (very easy process!) and am done with it. (See the second-to-last line of my signature.) Sometimes we then find a way to do it in pure Python (for example, my vocal pitch analyzer, which now uses numpy's fast Fourier transform functions), and I'm willing to give up on the extension module.

Python can do everything we want it to do already, and it can do a great deal of things that will allow us to implement new functions that we have wanted to add. (Python is quite good at network programming, for example, so if we were ever to try to do online play, we would just do it directly in the Python code.)

pygame, which the game is built upon, is a Python interface to SDL. Why rebuild the game from scratch atop the exact same libraries?

If you want to improve FoF(iX), I'd recommend learning Python (which is not difficult at all) and sending us patches.

Wouldnt C++ improve the speed of the program? Python just is not my thing, thats why i am fighting over this.
FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Postby jstump91 » Sat May 16, 2009 10:29 am

Atticus2 wrote:
jstump91 wrote:Whenever FoFiX needs something that can't be directly done in Python, I write an extension module (very easy process!) and am done with it. (See the second-to-last line of my signature.) Sometimes we then find a way to do it in pure Python (for example, my vocal pitch analyzer, which now uses numpy's fast Fourier transform functions), and I'm willing to give up on the extension module.

Wouldnt C++ improve the speed of the program? Python just is not my thing, thats why i am fighting over this.

If you want to, you can. (Be sure to obey the GPL if you derive your code from the Python code.)

But be advised that many people have tried and failed before at rebuilding the game in C++.

Everyone who has suggested (but not offered to do) such a rewrite in the past has been shot down badly, and those who have offered to try to do it have tended not to get any support from other users as they believe it will not be completed.
Don't say "Python can't do [insert task here]." Python can do anything with the right modules - said modules may just not have been written yet.
"Python - why settle for snake oil when you can have the whole snake?" --Mark Jackson
Did you search before you posted? Did you read the rules for the subforum you are posting in?
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby KTownEgghead » Sat May 16, 2009 10:42 am

I say do it, so we can see what it's like in C++. I personally think that Python is fine for the game, but porting it to another language isn't a bad idea.
dance along the fault line; feel the shaking in your bones,
lose the tension in my throat, and live for something.
Remember thy name ..
Atticus2

Postby Atticus2 » Sat May 16, 2009 12:12 pm

jstump91 wrote:
Atticus2 wrote:

If you want to, you can. (Be sure to obey the GPL if you derive your code from the Python code.)

But be advised that many people have tried and failed before at rebuilding the game in C++.

Everyone who has suggested (but not offered to do) such a rewrite in the past has been shot down badly, and those who have offered to try to do it have tended not to get any support from other users as they believe it will not be completed.

I plan on making this a WIP, i want this be completed. I have every intention to complete this.

KTownEgghead wrote:I say do it, so we can see what it's like in C++. I personally think that Python is fine for the game, but porting it to another language isn't a bad idea.

I agree, FOF is working great in Python, i would also love to experiment and see what else is possible in C++.
The LEAGUE Leader
AlBelGim

Postby AlBelGim » Sat May 16, 2009 12:28 pm

If someone can really code it properly in C++, all lag that's happening in the newer versions will be dead. If python were that great for games, a lot of developers would start using it, which is not the case.
likes AlteredSky
Deseo Sangre

Postby Deseo Sangre » Sat May 16, 2009 12:36 pm

Vocals would be possible.
FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Postby jstump91 » Sat May 16, 2009 12:52 pm

Deseo Sangre wrote:Vocals would be possible.

Vocals are perfectly possible with Python. How else does FoFiX have vocals (using Python-with-numpy pitch analyzing code) already in svn?

If you're not a coder, don't assume things. (Do, though, read my signature.)
The LEAGUE Leader
AlBelGim

Postby AlBelGim » Sat May 16, 2009 12:59 pm

jstump91 wrote:

Vocals are perfectly possible with Python. How else does FoFiX have vocals (using Python-with-numpy pitch analyzing code) already in svn?

I'm not saying Python isn't capable of doing everything FoF needs. What bugs me the most (specially after 3.1xx) is the ocasional bumps and lags that happen, even in a high end machine. Do you guys know a way around that?

I restarted using FoFiX 3.030 because it doesn't lag at all, even in maximum settings, which is not the case with the newest versions.
Azzco

Postby Azzco » Sat May 16, 2009 5:41 pm

AlBelGim wrote:
jstump91 wrote:

I'm not saying Python isn't capable of doing everything FoF needs. What bugs me the most (specially after 3.1xx) is the ocasional bumps and lags that happen, even in a high end machine. Do you guys know a way around that?

I restarted using FoFiX 3.030 because it doesn't lag at all, even in maximum settings, which is not the case with the newest versions.

That's due to the move to pyOpenGL 3.x series, code should be a little differet for it (arrays should help a bit). Hopefully the code will get better and more pyOpenGL 3 friendly over time and we'll see steady frame rate increases.
(k)Ubuntu 8.10 skyscraper 2.6.27-11-generic i686 GNU/Linux KDE 4.2.0
It's not like I dislike sleeping, I really do like it to be honest. It's the whole wake up/go to sleep business I don't like.
The LEAGUE Leader
AlBelGim

Postby AlBelGim » Sat May 16, 2009 6:00 pm

That's nice to hear. I can't wait to go back on the latest version when this problem is solved
Mr. Fansonfire
lordhardware

Postby lordhardware » Sat May 16, 2009 8:14 pm

AlBelGim wrote:I restarted using FoFiX 3.030 because it doesn't lag at all, even in maximum settings, which is not the case with the newest versions.

ditto over here, i can play 3.030 with 120 frames per second... i get 50 on 3.120

but i love the new features, so its a tradeoff between performance and features which sucks.
WIP:
"Check Your Hardware: Modern Hits" 11/20
"Check Your Hardware: Australian Anthems" 4/20
"Check Your Hardware: Alternative" 4/20
"Check Your Hardware: Classic Beats" 2/20
"Check Your Hardware: Electronic" 2/10
"Check Your Hardware: Rap" 1/10

Return to “Thoughts ?”