New FOF Project (6/9)

What would you like to see added or fixed in FOF?
Forum rules
This topic is 10 years and 10 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Remember thy name ..
Atticus2

Re: New FOF Project (6/9)

Postby Atticus2 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:53 am

mekanyx wrote:now THAT would be awesome!!!!!

Mekanyx

I'm sorry sir. What would be awesome?
mekanyx

Re: New FOF Project (5/20)

Postby mekanyx » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:08 pm

ohh sorry! lol heres what i was referring to:

ryanpanties:
As far as keyboard (the instrument) support goes, should you (or anyone) choose to implement it...

Advantages Of Ten Notes:
If you want to in some way equate what we do on guitar parts, why not think about running with ten buttons... the same five we're used to, but a set under each hand, since you don't strum a piano. This might enable you to fit it reasonably easily into the space occupied by any two previously-supported instruments, effectively accommodating keyboard while still allowing you to run three players (keys+guitar<or>drums<or>bass+vocals). You're basically just running the two five-key parts that you've always been running through the program in that space, but designating them as one player for scoring and streak purposes. Even star power could stay independent by hand (effecting the over-all score, but only requiring you to hit the streak on one hand), rather than combining across. Ten keys also avoids the need for hunting down off-shade colors, as you can clearly tell the difference between right-hand-green and left-hand-green.

In Regards To Charting:
This would leave charters fairly close to the format they are already used to (and within the program they are used to charting in), making one hand first, then the other. I suppose the midi parts would read from parts "keys-left" and "keys-right", or some such designation.

In Regards To Difficulty:
Perhaps the lowest difficulty could be designed to run five-note-only and allow for 4-players, but i know nothing about the coding for any of this, so i'm just talking. Though the two-handedness would be hard at first, you would no longer have any finger-shifts to worry about, playing with five fingers on five buttons, so that might help maintain some level of possibility as people start trying to play a new instrument(controller), and the easiest difficulty could remain a one-handed introduction to playing with five-fingers on five-buttons. Alternately, you could leave it occupying two slots on all difficulties, but I would think charting standards would still come to rest something like this.
1 -Supaeasy- one hand playing, 5 buttons active
2 -Easy- two hands playing ten active buttons, but alternating hands only, never overlapping
3 -Med- two hands playing ten active buttons, at points simultaneously, but with chords kept simple (think fof-guitar-easy level charting but on 10 buttons)
4 -Amaz- anything goes, do what the song does within reason

Relative Pitch:
I know that 10 buttons does not make any musical sense, but neither does 5, and we're all used to thinking in relative pitches anyway. It would be a shame to leave relative pitch behind this early in the game and implement a mod (or program) that acts like it's trying to teach piano instead of expand the GH/FoF/RB experience. This format would allow you to hold relative pitch chords with one hand while doing relative pitch fills with the other, and i think that would replicate the piano/keyboard experience about as well as we could hope for while maintaining gameplay that doesn't feel completely foreign.

Controllers:
Playing on a computer keyboard gives you plenty of button options, but it's worth noting that your standard 'homekey" hand placement would accommodate perfectly with "v" and "n" as thumb keys. Beyond that, keeping this in 5-button increments might allow for increased freedom in a controller-mod direction, should anyone prefer to use guitar controllers (which are getting cheap!) as a two-plug basis for a DIY-keyboard controller.
Just my two cents.
Edit:
Charted Example:
I found a chart I did that demonstrates the concept. Doing intro tracks for the sake of the Coheed Discog thread at the time, i charted to expert and hard in the guitar tracks, but it would make a good 1-player keyboard part if you put the notes in an appropriate place in a midi. Run this song in two player FoF (P1 on hard, P2 on expert), ignore the fact that the first note or two are in duplicate, and you'll see what I mean. - Second Stage Turbine Blade @ mediafire

Mekanyx
Teh Bass Wazzard
doomtron

Postby doomtron » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:25 pm

Is this dead?
ImageImage

Scutch-Nukem wrote:Goldfish are like, the perfect goddamn snack, because they're all like "Eat me and my cheesy goodness as well as my friends because we smile back." And while you're munching on their cheesy wheat-y goodness, a person breaks into your home and begins to rob everything you own, because you have some ****' goldfish at hand, they smile back at you with that "Every little thing is going to be alright" kind of look and then you think they're some freaky-ass jamaican goldfish or something but then "Wait, goldfish aren't jamaican. They are canadian, which is why they come in bags." So you end up wanting to hang out with your rastafarian friend but wait, YOU DON'T HAVE ANY FRIENDS. So you end up trying to download the Bob Marley discography but wait, THERE ARE NO SEEDS. Then, when the clock strikes twelve, you realize that your goldfish are quickly running out, and you wonder to yourself "Do goldfish feel pain?" So to test this theory you begin to break them in half, demanding that they give you direct coordinates to the rebel base. But they say nothing, so you continue to munch on their cheesy wheat-y goodness. But what's this? THE BAG IS EMPTY!

Alone in your dark empty room, you crawl your hollow shell of a body to the darkest corner, and your mourn, you mourn the lost of your goldfish, and you ponder... should I buy another bag?

That is a ****' goldfish.
aander91 wrote:Trolling mods? I love this thread!

What is Kermit4Prez?

is it technically a muppet? or is it a puppet on its own? personally i think its a puppet president elect that should be called muppet: in the senate or something like that

Remember thy name ..
Atticus2

Postby Atticus2 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:45 pm

doomtron wrote:Is this dead?

No sir. We have recently found a new coder!

Zoom!

We are getting everything together and possibly having a playable version here soon.
Teh Bass Wazzard
doomtron

Postby doomtron » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:46 pm

Atticus2 wrote:
doomtron wrote:Is this dead?

No sir. We have recently found a new coder!

Zoom!

We are getting everything together and possibly having a playable version here soon.

Awesome! :2thumbsup:

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

ImageImage

Scutch-Nukem wrote:Goldfish are like, the perfect goddamn snack, because they're all like "Eat me and my cheesy goodness as well as my friends because we smile back." And while you're munching on their cheesy wheat-y goodness, a person breaks into your home and begins to rob everything you own, because you have some ****' goldfish at hand, they smile back at you with that "Every little thing is going to be alright" kind of look and then you think they're some freaky-ass jamaican goldfish or something but then "Wait, goldfish aren't jamaican. They are canadian, which is why they come in bags." So you end up wanting to hang out with your rastafarian friend but wait, YOU DON'T HAVE ANY FRIENDS. So you end up trying to download the Bob Marley discography but wait, THERE ARE NO SEEDS. Then, when the clock strikes twelve, you realize that your goldfish are quickly running out, and you wonder to yourself "Do goldfish feel pain?" So to test this theory you begin to break them in half, demanding that they give you direct coordinates to the rebel base. But they say nothing, so you continue to munch on their cheesy wheat-y goodness. But what's this? THE BAG IS EMPTY!

Alone in your dark empty room, you crawl your hollow shell of a body to the darkest corner, and your mourn, you mourn the lost of your goldfish, and you ponder... should I buy another bag?

What is Kermit4Prez?

is it technically a muppet? or is it a puppet on its own? personally i think its a puppet president elect that should be called muppet: in the senate or something like that

Remember thy name ..
Atticus2

Postby Atticus2 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:57 pm

DaBackStabber666 wrote:What is this????

Specify on what you mean by "this."

The topic?
The Idea?
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby KTownEgghead » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:04 pm

Excellent, more coders is key :P
dance along the fault line; feel the shaking in your bones,
lose the tension in my throat, and live for something.
Teh Bass Wazzard
doomtron

Postby doomtron » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:36 pm

DaBackStabber666 wrote:what is the project, exactly

Basically just porting FoFiX to C++.

ImageImage

What is Kermit4Prez?

jrdnxxhero

Postby jrdnxxhero » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:40 pm

Wow, six pages and not a single individual interesting in coding? Jeez.
Well, I know a tad about C++. Sign me up if you feel like it.
Last edited by jrdnxxhero on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teh Bass Wazzard
doomtron

Postby doomtron » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:43 pm

jrdnxxhero wrote:Wow, six posts and not a single individual interesting in coding? Jeez.

I would if I knew how :tongue:

ImageImage

What is Kermit4Prez?

Pro Rock Band
RinuX

Postby RinuX » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:40 pm

i have just a question...
why don't work with frontman (Guitar zero) programmers ?
frontman is coded in C++ too
it can be helpful !
FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Postby jstump91 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:34 pm

RinuX wrote:i have just a question...
why don't work with frontman (Guitar zero) programmers ?
frontman is coded in C++ too
it can be helpful !

No, Frontman is in C#. Completely different language.

@Atticus: Perhaps if the code were available, there wouldn't be so much doubt as to this project's viability/progress/need for more coders since people can follow along and judge for themselves. Linking to a version control repository (such as a Subversion repository) would be ideal.
jstump91, a.k.a. john.stumpo, a.k.a. stump
jstump.com | stump's blog | FoFiX development | My own code
Can't find a Windows build of the Python module you need? Try my mediafire!
Don't say "Python can't do [insert task here]." Python can do anything with the right modules - said modules may just not have been written yet.
"Python - why settle for snake oil when you can have the whole snake?" --Mark Jackson
Did you search before you posted? Did you read the rules for the subforum you are posting in?
abloobloo
RedShadow

Postby RedShadow » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:32 pm

doomtron wrote:
jrdnxxhero wrote:Wow, six posts and not a single individual interesting in coding? Jeez.

I would if I knew how :tongue:

I think he was directing to Atticus ¬¬ *sigh*

Return to “Thoughts ?”