Song Awards

What would you like to see added or fixed in FOF?
Forum rules
This topic is 15 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.

Should we add a forum-wide song competition based on genre to the forum?

Yes
84%
No
16%

Total votes: 32
Full Time Fretter
hckyfrk2k7

Song Awards

Postby hckyfrk2k7 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:19 pm

Here's a neat idea that I thought of...... Why not hold a contest every month or every 3 months or something like that and make it so we can vote for our favorite song based on the best frettings. Like, there is a bunch of songs for each genre. People can enter their songs based on genre and difficulty. They make it to a sort of playoff kinda thing. Like a group of like 25 or 50 people play the songs and rate them. The best songs advance and its pretty much an elimination style kinda competition. I don't think that there should necessarily be a prize that the winners can win unless somebody wants to fork out money, but maybe as a sense of pride, kinda to make up for the fact that nobody freakin rates songs. Plus, people who come on here can see the best version of a song that's fretted if there are lots of the same songs, (like Metallica songs).

--EDIT--

Maybe we could have a list of bands as an example for each different category so people don't get confused. Like, say for the extreme metal list we could have something look like this:

Extreme Metal Bands:

"Here is a short list of some extreme metal bands. There are definitely more than the listed bands below, but as a means of creating guidelines, this list was created."

Cannibal Corpse
Deicide
Dying Fetus
Hypocrisy
Obituary
Six Feet Under
Slayer
Torture Killer

"If you enter a song from a band that is not categorized by the judges as extreme metal, we will send the song to the proper genre and notify you via pm that your song was moved."

Obviously, the list above doesn't necessarily need to be what the actual list would look like (definitely needs some more bands, maybe get rid of some of the less popular bands I mentioned), but you get the idea.........
Last edited by hckyfrk2k7 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jake2k3 wrote:I think we've hit the point now where practicality has gone out the window and all this board is now is a "let's forget originality and work this sucker as close to an exact copy (of GH/RB) as possible" feeding frenzy.

New Song Awards Idea, Check It Out Here!
Mr. Fansonfire
lordhardware

Re: Song Awards

Postby lordhardware » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:17 pm

hckyfrk2k7 wrote:Here's a neat idea that I thought of...... Why not hold a contest every month or every 3 months or something like that and make it so we can vote for our favorite song based on the best frettings. Like, there is a bunch of songs for each genre. People can enter their songs based on genre and difficulty. They make it to a sort of playoff kinda thing. Like a group of like 25 or 50 people play the songs and rate them. The best songs advance and its pretty much an elimination style kinda competition. I don't think that there should necessarily be a prize that the winners can win unless somebody wants to fork out money, but maybe as a sense of pride, kinda to make up for the fact that nobody freakin rates songs. Plus, people who come on here can see the best version of a song that's fretted if there are lots of the same songs, (like Metallica songs).

we already have a monthly competition for both drums and guitar... if more people entered then we would have more competitions like this... as it is, we dont get enough entries to warrent a large scale comp.
WIP:
"Check Your Hardware: Modern Hits" 11/20
"Check Your Hardware: Australian Anthems" 4/20
"Check Your Hardware: Alternative" 4/20
"Check Your Hardware: Classic Beats" 2/20
"Check Your Hardware: Electronic" 2/10
"Check Your Hardware: Rap" 1/10
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby KTownEgghead » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:34 pm

lordhardware wrote:
hckyfrk2k7 wrote:Here's a neat idea that I thought of...... Why not hold a contest every month or every 3 months or something like that and make it so we can vote for our favorite song based on the best frettings. Like, there is a bunch of songs for each genre. People can enter their songs based on genre and difficulty. They make it to a sort of playoff kinda thing. Like a group of like 25 or 50 people play the songs and rate them. The best songs advance and its pretty much an elimination style kinda competition. I don't think that there should necessarily be a prize that the winners can win unless somebody wants to fork out money, but maybe as a sense of pride, kinda to make up for the fact that nobody freakin rates songs. Plus, people who come on here can see the best version of a song that's fretted if there are lots of the same songs, (like Metallica songs).

we already have a monthly competition for both drums and guitar... if more people entered then we would have more competitions like this... as it is, we dont get enough entries to warrent a large scale comp.

Not true, we have the capability, we just need the right people to carry it out. Remember Gitert's old competition? We did just this, except it didn't get finished because no one was judging.

I think we could easily do something this big, but make it a quad-annual (every three months) thing. I would love to help out (or at least fret songs for it :P). It even helps to have some help from the mods and admins when doing something like this. Just make sure you get a very diverse group of people when you are judging.
dance along the fault line; feel the shaking in your bones,
lose the tension in my throat, and live for something.
Full Time Fretter
hckyfrk2k7

Postby hckyfrk2k7 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:10 am

KTownEgghead wrote:I think we could easily do something this big, but make it a quad-annual (every three months) thing. I would love to help out (or at least fret songs for it :P). It even helps to have some help from the mods and admins when doing something like this. Just make sure you get a very diverse group of people when you are judging.

Yeah the diverse group of people thing could be that people that like a certain genre or even sub-genre of music can sign up for judging in the said genre/sub-genre.

And what I was saying is like have a sign-up thread for people that are interested in judging songs and have them do it for each genre (heavy metal, rock, country, etc.) and possibly go into sub-genres (mostly in the metal genre) like thrash metal, black/death metal, 80's metal, and so on. You could make it so there is a set amount of people for each genre and/or sub-genre for judging. After enough people sign up to judge, make an announcement saying that we are requesting songs for genres or enter other people's songs for them (like if you know a guy who has a good song that doesn't really get on here much, just enter the song and give him credit, that kinda thing).

Heck, we could possibly make another topic on the board index if it was to get popular enough or if we got enough judges (something like the high scores and stuff like that) just to make things a little more organized and it might replace the tune review subject since it seems like when somebody makes a song, nobody likes to review it. I think the 3 biggest purposes that this would serve is:

1. It will give some people more incentive to not only make a song(s), but make it/them better.
2. People that make a lot of songs and are good at it, it will give them even more a sense of accomplishment.
3. It can show people the best songs made in the genre (for the time period). While people do search for bands in particular, they also search for songs based in certain genres (such as me as I like death metal and can't really ever find any, I'd be happy with almost any I could find that's actually decently fretted.) :2thumbsup:

Plus, I thought that maybe since there are so many songs, instead of picking the best, we could make it so the judges picked the top 20 songs or something like that.

EDIT: Also, I have a pretty good layout of how the competition could work:

1. We could make certain limitations on how many songs a person can enter if we get too many people entering songs and whatnot (if this ever did take off and got that popular).

2. We could make it so there is a 2 month entry period where for 2 of the 3 months, people can enter their songs. After the two months is up, nobody is allowed to enter their songs until the next competition, and the one month period is where the judges can play and review the songs, and they pick the best one(s).
jake2k3 wrote:I think we've hit the point now where practicality has gone out the window and all this board is now is a "let's forget originality and work this sucker as close to an exact copy (of GH/RB) as possible" feeding frenzy.

Mr. Fansonfire
lordhardware

Postby lordhardware » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:52 pm

hckyfrk2k7 wrote:
KTownEgghead wrote:I think we could easily do something this big, but make it a quad-annual (every three months) thing. I would love to help out (or at least fret songs for it :P). It even helps to have some help from the mods and admins when doing something like this. Just make sure you get a very diverse group of people when you are judging.

LOTS OF TALK ABOUT GENRE's.

when you get right down to it, its VERY difficult to define music using such limitations as genre. You might say Bullet is Nu Metal, Screamo, Emo... but im sure they would classify themselves as something different

and what of bands like The Mars Volta who classify themselves as Progressive Jazz, but whom are classified elsewhere as anything from Rock-Alternative-Jazz... what of bands like Queens of the Stone Age, or The Foo Fighters. or even Incubus; who have multiple genres in a single album.

Defining a competition based on these criterion will never work.

i love the idea of a huge forum wide comp though.
WIP:
Full Time Fretter
hckyfrk2k7

Postby hckyfrk2k7 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:55 am

lordhardware wrote:when you get right down to it, its VERY difficult to define music using such limitations as genre. You might say Bullet is Nu Metal, Screamo, Emo... but im sure they would classify themselves as something different

and what of bands like The Mars Volta who classify themselves as Progressive Jazz, but whom are classified elsewhere as anything from Rock-Alternative-Jazz... what of bands like Queens of the Stone Age, or The Foo Fighters. or even Incubus; who have multiple genres in a single album.

Defining a competition based on these criterion will never work.

i love the idea of a huge forum wide comp though.

Well, we could have polls or something for some bands to determine the genre and base it on popular vote. Or maybe the judges of the certain genre/subgenre could also judge whether the music belongs in the genre or not. If so, then the comp goes as normal. If not, maybe we could redirect them to the right genre (based on the judges opinions) and go from there......

Besides, the reason I wanted judges based on each genre/subgenre because there is WAY TOO MUCH biased judging based on bands that people like/dislike and certain genres. I mean, for example, if somebody enters a popular song from Metallica (let's just say Master Of Puppets for the sake of this example) and another person puts a song that's by a less popular band and belongs to a less popular genre (let's also just say Homicidal Retribution from Dying Fetus, who is a death metal band). Most likely, before the songs are even played and judged (if the two were to make it to the final two songs), the judges would probably have their minds set. They would then play it, and if both fretters did an equally good job, they would probably go for the most popular song, JUST BECAUSE they liked playing it more because it sounds better to them and because they liked the song more. That's not to say that that would always be the case, but most of the time it would be. It discourages song fretters like me from doing things like a forum-wide competition since I tend to lean to generally more underground, heavier music.

blackviper91

Postby blackviper91 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:24 pm

Yea, I know what you mean about the lack of heavy music on here. I'm into an even more niche genre myself, Death/Doom Metal.

What if we just set up broad genre categories as guidelines. For example, there could be an 'Extreme' Metal category that might include things like Death metal, Black metal, Doom Metal, Metalcore, Thrash Metal, etc. But songs entered wouldn't have to be strictly classified into a certain genre. Then there could be a General Metal category that might include 80s metal, Power Metal, softer Nu Metal, etc. And the same could be done for various areas of whatever other musical genres would be included.

Placement would be mostly up to the fretter, with only obvious misplacements (i.e. a Cannibal Corpse song in the Soft Rock category would be considered a misplacement) being corrected. It would be in the fretters best interest to enter the right category because they would be judged by fans of their chosen genre and would be competing against other songs from their genre, making it fairer and giving them an advantage.

~Cody
Mr. Fansonfire
lordhardware

Postby lordhardware » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:15 pm

blackviper91 wrote:Yea, I know what you mean about the lack of heavy music on here. I'm into an even more niche genre myself, Death/Doom Metal.

What if we just set up broad genre categories as guidelines. For example, there could be an 'Extreme' Metal category that might include things like Death metal, Black metal, Doom Metal, Metalcore, Thrash Metal, etc. But songs entered wouldn't have to be strictly classified into a certain genre. Then there could be a General Metal category that might include 80s metal, Power Metal, softer Nu Metal, etc. And the same could be done for various areas of whatever other musical genres would be included.

Placement would be mostly up to the fretter, with only obvious misplacements (i.e. a Cannibal Corpse song in the Soft Rock category would be considered a misplacement) being corrected. It would be in the fretters best interest to enter the right category because they would be judged by fans of their chosen genre and would be competing against other songs from their genre, making it fairer and giving them an advantage.

~Cody

in the November comp i entered a song by Chronic Future, who are a alternative/hip hop band... i wasnt marked down for the rapping in it, but i was advised that the judges didnt like it :)
WIP:
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby KTownEgghead » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:03 pm

Because a lot of the people on here won't admit that they take off points for songs they don't like. It's true, they just won't admit to it.
dance along the fault line; feel the shaking in your bones,
lose the tension in my throat, and live for something.
Mr. Fansonfire
lordhardware

Postby lordhardware » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:14 pm

KTownEgghead wrote:Because a lot of the people on here won't admit that they take off points for songs they don't like. It's true, they just won't admit to it.

...i wouldnt... thats not very impartial at all >:(
WIP:
Full Time Fretter
hckyfrk2k7

Postby hckyfrk2k7 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:30 am

blackviper91 wrote:Yea, I know what you mean about the lack of heavy music on here. I'm into an even more niche genre myself, Death/Doom Metal.

~Cody

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is what I'm talking about! (LOL)

(Regains composure)

Anyways, yeah, that would work too. And maybe we could have a list of bands as an example for each different category so people don't get confused. We could do something like what I mentioned on my first post (I edited it so.....)

Yeah, I got nwru to take a look at this and he was thinking about doing something similar to this. He told me to see how the thread evolves and I guess how well the voting goes. Well anyways, you guys tell anyone you think that would like this and tell them to get over here and vote for it. :2thumbsup:

変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:29 pm

KTownEgghead wrote:Because a lot of the people on here won't admit that they take off points for songs they don't like. It's true, they just won't admit to it.

you gotta be kidding
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
Power Quest's #1 Fan
omfgdrphl

Postby omfgdrphl » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:01 pm

vedicardi wrote:

you gotta be kidding

Explain how vedi gave a trivium song a good score. :tongue2:
It got 8th place, so I don't think you can argue.

"/
Full Time Fretter
hckyfrk2k7

Postby hckyfrk2k7 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:31 am

vedicardi wrote:

you gotta be kidding

I'd have to agree with KTownEgghead, that's just how things work with things like this

LOL

Return to “Thoughts ?”