EOF 1.8RC12 - Now with Rocksmith 2014 support

A collection of helpful posts
This topic is 2 years and 5 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: EOF 1.8RC6 - Now with spectrogram

Postby raynebc » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:23 am

Please post the log file (eof_log.txt, located in the same folder as eof.exe) as it is after a crash occurs. As a guess, it could be a permissions problem (ie. you have EOF or your project folder in a protected location like anywhere within either "program files" directory or in the public user profile).
( 'o')/
davidsevenfold

Postby davidsevenfold » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:03 pm

I'm having an issue with RC6, I am doing ctrl + v to paste but its doing an "old paste" effect, but when I do ctrl + p its exactly the same thing :c
GHWT 4.0 theme is currently at a hault :v
( 'o')/
davidsevenfold

Postby davidsevenfold » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:38 pm

raynebc wrote:What input method are you using? Is the problem gone in the latest hotfix (http://www.sendspace.com/file/qmw25p)?

I dont even know what an input method is lol, but that hotfix is still giving me the same problem
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:41 pm

The default input method is "piano roll" and can be changed in File>Preferences. It alters how notes are placed. Can you reproduce the paste issue on every project you open, or only on certain ones? Does this happen on a freshly extracted copy of RC6?
( 'o')/
davidsevenfold

Postby davidsevenfold » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:43 pm

raynebc wrote:The default input method is "piano roll" and can be changed in File>Preferences. It alters how notes are placed. Can you reproduce the paste issue on every project you open, or only on certain ones? Does this happen on a freshly extracted copy of RC6?

well I did delete the old folder and just opened up RC6 fresh out of zip, was I suppose to copy it over a certain version?
ill try to change preferences and check

-- Edit: Jul 15th, '13, 13:45 --

tried most input methods, still gives me old paste when I do ctrl +v and +p :/
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:21 pm

That's how you create a fresh copy of the program, but I can't reproduce that problem. When I do old paste (CTRL+P), the pasted notes aren't adjusted to keep their grid snapping even due to tempo changes, but when I do paste (CTRL+V), they do. Can you clarify what criteria you're using to tell whether old paste or new paste is being performed? If you explicitly select those paste functions from the Edit menu, do you get different results than when using keyboard shortcuts?
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:15 pm

I'm getting this issue on the latest revision as well. I started a new chart on a freshly installed copy. The keyboard shortcuts and menu both give the same results.
"Stop putting so much stock in all of this stuff, live your life for those that you love." - Relient K
EOF - A Song Editor for Frets On Fire
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:43 am

I tested again with both the debug and the optimized Windows builds and a newly-generated default configuration. When I create a new chart, place several 1/8 grid snapped notes, copy them to the clipboard and paste them in several different tempos, new paste is working as expected and old paste is working as expected. Since I can't reproduce an error I can't really do anything to fix it not working on some computers. If you can debug the problem, NewCreature, let me know.
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:28 pm

I'm going to try to look at it soon.

Append: Okay, I figured out the problem. New paste is actually working, it is just that I expected the old behavior of automatically placing the notes starting from the beginning of the beat where the song position marker is (new paste now starts pasting from the current seek position). I haven't used the program since this was changed so it appeared to me that it was using old paste.

I wouldn't have known the difference since the song has a pretty steady BPM, but after looking at the code I saw that the behavior was changed to start from the current position instead of the beginning of the beat marker. Seeking to the beginning of the beat marker with PGUP/PGDN and hitting Ctrl+V did the trick.

I have a feeling this change is going to cause confusion for users of older versions. It's a good change, but it will probably need to be prominently noted for users who haven't been keeping up with the latest developments when v1.8 is finally released.
"Stop putting so much stock in all of this stuff, live your life for those that you love." - Relient K
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:21 am

True, I'm just referring to the release notes for v1.8. The RC stuff is kind of beta so people should expect to run into these kinds of issues. Some people might be moving from 1.71 to 1.8 when it is released and this change will confuse them. It confused me and I have been mostly keeping up with the changes. We don't want to be bombarded with questions about why paste isn't working correctly any more. It could also cause users to waste a lot of time trying to figure out why it isn't working.

There should be a place to note important changes that the user should read first before using v1.8. I would put a note about the new paste behavior there since it is a big change to a fundamental function of the program. The changelog is really long and I doubt most users will read all of it.

It might be worth moving the newest paste function into a Paste Here option to prevent the confusion. The old behavior could still be Ctrl+V and the new could be Ctrl+Shift+V. It might not be a good idea now that a lot of users have gotten used to the new behavior.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: EOF 1.8RC7 - Now with spectrogram

Postby raynebc » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Hi, folks. Release candidate 7 is available in the first post. Changes since 1.8RC6:
*Fixed a bug where the spectrogram wasn't properly recreated if its configuration was changed.
*Modified the "BPM Change" dialog so that the checkbox options remember their last setting.
*Minor change to GP import so that note positions are rounded to the nearest millisecond, which should improve the repeat unwrap handling.
*Adds initial handling for navigational symbols in Guitar Pro import.
*Fixed a bug with Rocksmith import where a 4 string (ie. bass) arrangement that has chords wouldn't import.
*Corrected the behavior of the function that increments/decrements the tempo at the anchor at/before the seek position (- or = while Feedback input mode is not in use).
*Changed the "GP import truncates short notes" preference so that imported notes that have slide, bend or vibrato techniques are not truncated.
*Added a Track menu and organized several track-specific functions from the Song menu into it.
*Fixed a bug where EOF would crash if changing to a pro guitar track containing arpeggios.
*Increased the limit of time signature changes that could be exported to MIDI from 100 to 500, since a user had a chart that required more than 100 of them.
*Fixed a bug where the Rocksmith WAV file was written as "guitar.wav" instead of "(song title).wav".
*Adds the ability to display a second piano roll with another track difficulty (Song>Second piano roll>). This second piano roll is view-only, only the main piano roll will be editable. Its seek position stays synchronized with the active piano roll by default, but you can disable this by unchecking the "Sync with main piano roll" option.
*Improved the "Disable 3D rendering" preference so that it does not apply to full screen 3D view.
*Fixed an XML export bug where hand shapes were not written for a track difficulty if that difficulty didn't have at least one chord (any note where at least two gems weren't ghosted).
*Added an "Edit>Selection>Select all longer than" function that selects all notes in the active track difficulty that are longer than a given length.
*Added logic so that if the configured song path no longer exists when EOF is opened, it reverts to the default location of EOF's program folder.
*Added logic in the Windows build so that the new chart wizard drops trailing space characters from the end of a user-defined project folder name, since Windows prevents such folders from working normally.
*Added a function (Track>Rocksmith>Un-flatten track) that mostly does the reverse of the "Flatten this difficulty" function. Each adjacent difficulty of each RS phrase is compared, and if the notes in a particular phrase are identical, the phrase is leveled down to remove the duplicate difficulty of the phrase. This will make it easier to convert a chart authored in the style of Rock Band/Guitar Hero (each difficulty defines all playable notes) to one authored in the style of Rocksmith (each difficulty only defines changes to the previous difficulty's phrases).
*Fixed a bug where EOF would forget if no chart audio was loaded when an undo/redo was performed, and would save a 1 second guitar.ogg file on the next save.
*Fixed a bug where the delete difficulty function did not adjust the difficulty levels of difficulty-specific tremolo phrases.
*Updated EOF to display as many difficulty tabs as will fit in the program window, taking any custom width into account.
*Fixed a crash that could occur when the spectrogram was being displayed near the end of the chart audio.
*Implemented 5of0's spectrogram improvements, which allow it to render much faster than before.
*Added new functions to the Edit>Selection menu allowing single notes or chords to be deselected. The new "Conditional deselect" function will allow you to deselect notes based on the gems they do or don't have.
*Added a function (Edit>Selection>Invert selection) that makes notes that aren't selected become selected and vice versa.
*Fixed an issue where a track's exported XML file wouldn't be named correctly if the arrangement name included periods and the arrangement type wasn't defined.
*Fixed a bug where if the clipboard contained only one note, and the preference to erase overlapped notes during paste was enabled, notes could be incorrectly deleted after the pasted note's location.
*Updated some prompts that seek to different points in the chart to correctly display the lyric preview.
*Fixed a bug where bend strength was being removed automatically.
*Improved the function to play the chart from the first to the last selected note (holding S while playing back the chart) by allowing the playback to loop as long as the S key remains held down. Release the S key to allow playback to stop when the last selected note is reached.
*Corrected the 2D rendering to show when pro guitar notes have certain combinations of techniques. While EOF doesn't allow status combinations such as pull off and harmonic to be authored onto a note, such notes can be imported from a Guitar Pro file.
*Doubled the number of MIDI events that could be written for each MIDI track, which may be necessary for authoring extremely long charts, such as those that last for the duration of an entire album.
*Added logic to import synchronization from an exported Go PlayAlong XML file, by using the "Guitar Pro Import" function and selecting an appropriate XML file, which needs to be in the same directory as the related GP file. Importing a Go PlayAlong file will force the time signatures to import, since GPA sync points reference measure numbers.
*Fixed some bugs with the grid snap logic.
*Fixed a bug where GP3 format tremolo bar notation imported as tremolo picking.
*Improved DTA export by writing appropriate difficulty tier values (based on PikminGuts92's findings) if the 17 fret guitar/bass track difficulties are defined.
*Added initial support for alternate endings during Guitar Pro import, thanks to some code provided by quarnster.
*Changed the "Paste from" function so that arpeggios, hand positions and difficulty-specific tremolo phrases are copied without prompting.
*Added a "GP import replaces active track" user preference. It is enabled by default, but if you disable it, importing a guitar pro track will only replace the content of the active track difficulty and will not remove anything in the other difficulties in the track. EOF will prompt before changing the tuning or string count of the active track in a way that affects existing notes.
*Added a "GP import nat. harmonics only" user preference. If enabled, only notes transcribed as natural harmonics will import from Guitar Pro files with harmonic status into EOF.
*Added functions to the Track menu to erase either the active track or the active track difficulty.
*Improved the "Set number of frets/strings" function to offer to highlight all notes that use a fret higher than the proposed fret limit. This highlighting can be removed with the "Track>Erase highlighting" function.
*Added the ability for the "MIDI tones" feature (in the Edit menu) to output MIDI notes to your computer's default MIDI device to play a synthesized version of the active pro guitar/bass track during playback, thanks to some code provided by quarnster. The MIDI tones feature no longer plays back notes from the vocal track. When this feature is enabled, clicking on a pro guitar/bass note will sound the tones for the note. A MIDI tone delay value can be specified in File>Settings that will allow MIDI tones to play back earlier than notes, in order to compensate for MIDI lag from factors outside of EOF.
*Improved the warning message about being unable to automatically add an "END" phrase if the appropriate beat already has another phrase by having EOF seek to the position of the track that needs to be corrected.
*Fixed a bug where the selected beat number could become invalid when performing an undo after certain chart operations, leading to a crash.
*Added a "3D render RS style chords" preference that will draw repeat bars for high density chords in the 3D preview, and will skip drawing tails for pro guitar/bass chords.
*Added a warning during save if any notes slide to or above fret 22, as this will cause Rocksmith to crash.
*Minor improvement to Rocksmith lyric detection by adding another criterion to identify such a file if the <xml> header tag is missing.
*Fixed a bug with Rocksmith import where tremolo notes didn't import correctly.
*Fixed a bug where a note at 0ms could become automatically selected when a deselect (CTRL+D or clicking on a blank area of the piano roll) was attempted.
*Improved Rocksmith export to write the bass note of any chord with a technique (ie. bend, hammer on, harmonic, palm mute, pop, slap, slide, tremolo) as an additional single note at the same position, to cause the note to display on top of the chord box with the appropriate technique in-game (a trick discovered by Dreddfoxx).
*Added logic to MIDI import that corrects invalid velocity values that can be introduced by other pro guitar chart editors.
*Loosened the requirements for arpeggiated hand shapes to export to XML. The first note in the arpeggio now only has to be within 10ms of the beginning of the arpeggio section, instead of exactly at the same starting position.
*Updated XML export so that hand shapes are padded to a minimum of 56ms if possible, as Rocksmith seems to misuse hand shapes that are too short.
*Added a function to the "Track>Pro Guitar" menu that highlights notes in arpeggio sections, which will make it easy to identify notes that have fallen outside an arpeggio.
*Added a song_length INI tag that will give the length of the chart's audio in milliseconds.
*Added an "Edit>Selection>Deselect one in every" function that allows you to deselect one out of every X number of selected notes.
*Doubled the limit of each type of section a track can contain, since a user ran into the limit for arpeggios.
*Updated MIDI export so that if the preference to save separate Rock Band files is enabled, and the project contains any pro guitar/bass content, an additional notes_c3.mid file is created. This file contains the same Rock Band Network compatible content as notes_rbn.mid, but it also contains the RB3 compatible pro guitar and bass tracks. Unlike the official Harmonix release of the Magma utility, the C3 release is able to build CON files out of MIDIs containing pro guitar/bass tracks.
*Improved the "Set tuning" function so that if a tuning change affects any notes in the track, EOF will offer to transpose them up or down their current string so that they keep the same pitch. If this isn't possible for any notes (any that use a fret that is too high or low on the string), EOF will warn you that you need to transpose them manually and will highlight it.
*Added a keyboard shortcut (SHIFT+T) to toggle MIDI Tones on/off.
*Added a keyboard shortcut (CTRL+SHIFT+Home) to seek to the first beat marker.
*Added a user preference (Import dialogs recall last path) where, if enabled, will alter the starting folder for each of the MIDI/Feedback/GH/Lyric/GP/RS imports to be the folder containing the last successfull import of such a file (if the folder still exists), instead of always starting in the project directory.
*Added functions to the new "Track>Rocksmith>Tone Change" menu allowing tone changes to be defined in the exported XML files. RS import has been updated to handle tone changes as well.
*Fixed a bug where EOF wanted a fingering to be given for string muted notes in a chord.

As usual, most of the changes are pro guitar functionality, but there are some other very interesting new features such as the secondary piano roll, new select/deselect functions, pro guitar MIDI playback, etc.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:39 pm

NewCreature wrote:It might be worth moving the newest paste function into a Paste Here option to prevent the confusion. The old behavior could still be Ctrl+V and the new could be Ctrl+Shift+V. It might not be a good idea now that a lot of users have gotten used to the new behavior.

It's hard to say. The "new paste" behavior usually annoyed me because it's traditional for a text paste to place the text at the cursor position, and I'm sure I can't be the only one that expected/wanted that to be the default paste behavior. I agree the previous "new paste" behavior can be added as different paste function, I just am not sure it should be labeled "paste" for the fore-mentioned reason. There may be a more descriptive name that would better suit it?
NewCreature

Re: EOF 1.8RC7 - Now with spectrogram

Postby NewCreature » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:56 am

There would be no point in doing that. The only reason I brought it up is because of the potential for confusion. I agree that pasting at the cursor position is logical and the best way to do it.

I still think it's a good idea to make a note of the new paste functionality changes. I will be putting a note on the project's web site when 1.8 is released.

Return to “Tutorials and Tools”