EOF 1.8RC12 - Now with Rocksmith 2014 support

A collection of helpful posts
This topic is 2 years and 5 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
'_>'
SUSAltd

Re: EOF 1.8b7 - Now with better RBN support

Postby SUSAltd » Sun May 15, 2011 6:54 pm

I've noticed something about crazy notes/extended sustains. Something like this is not possible to chart in EOF:

--O~~~~~~~~~~~~
--O~~~~~~
--------------O~~~~~

e.g., it's impossible to end one note of a chord early.

Spoiler:

ImageCharting Achievements:
1st place 2009 April Novice Guitar competition
3rd place 2009 May Expert Guitar competition
4th place 2009 June Expert Guitar competition
1st place 2010 February Guitar competition
1st place 2010 April Guitar Competition
2nd place 2010 May Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 June Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 August Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 December Guitar Competition

Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: EOF 1.8b8 - Now with better RBN support

Postby raynebc » Mon May 16, 2011 2:21 pm

I am aware of that limitation. Currently, any gems for a difficulty that start at the same position are forced to exist as different lanes for the same note, so they have to share the same length. I am considering ways to make it work so that a chord that is "crazy" tracks each used lane as a separate note, allowing each to have its own status, length, etc. The most complicated part I'd need to figure out is how best to allow a specific lane's gem to be selected for editing. I could probably make it so that mouse clicks could do it, but as a cheaper workaround until then, I might consider using the string selection system used by the pro guitar tracks (ie. for modifying specific lanes' fret values with shortcuts). This would allow me to complete some of the needed logic sooner and the mouse logic later. This has been lower priority while other new features are completed, but I know this is going to be a must before keys and pro keys authoring functionality is considered finished.

beebe wrote:when I did import the .midi in the notes that were missing had a black dot instead of the usual white one for some reason.

This has just been fixed. EOF wrote the note on and off events in the wrong order in certain circumstances (ie. due to rounding in timing conversion) if a note's tail extended all the way up to the next note. Until the next release, just shorten the tails on notes, as it's considered more professional to not leave short tails on notes anyway.

And on that note, the 1.8 beta 8 is now available for download in the first post.

Changes since 1.8b7 wrote:*Added a new function (Beat>Reset offset to Zero) to make it easy to change a chart's MIDI delay to 0 while keeping it perfectly synced.
*"encode.wav" is now properly deleted after adding silence to the beginning of the open chart.
*Adds Memwatch to EOF's source code to help us track down memory handling issues. Several memory leaks have been corrected.
*Improved the logging, which should now log the creation and deletion of notes.
*Fixes a MIDI export bug that could cause notes to be written incorrectly in certain conditions if their tails extended all the way to the next note. Such notes might not appear when playing the chart in FoF. Importing the chart might have shown them to be flagged as "crazy" notes.
*Updates FoFLC to the latest version, which fixes a MIDI parsing error where time signature events may not be handled correctly.

Memwatch will log memory problems when you use EOF, and will append to the memwatch.log file each time you open EOF. If you notice it indicates anything in the log such as unfreed memory, multiple frees, buffer overflows, etc. please send me the log file and I'll try to correct it. The new "Reset offset to zero" function should be useful for charting Rock Band customs because such customs require a MIDI delay of 0. Previously, if you had beat synced your chart by common standards to use a MIDI delay instead of using a squished/stretched first beat, correcting for this could be complicated. This function will just fill in the MIDI delay (if there is a delay) with another beat marker. This should allow the chart to be properly synced when you play the chart in Rock Band.

Edit: NewCreature has provided a Mac OS X build, which is now also available in the first post.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: EOF 1.8b9 - Now with even better RBN support

Postby raynebc » Mon May 30, 2011 2:29 pm

It's time for a new beta. Changes since 1.8b8:
*Adds a new makefile for building Memwatch into EOF with optimizations enabled, so this Windows beta release should be faster than the last.
*Fixes a code issue from the last beta's code changes that prevented the code from compiling on systems other than Windows.
*Adds a Mac makefile for FoFLC.
*Fixes LOTS of memory leaks.
*Fixes a crash and improves error detection for KAR and vocal rhythm lyric imports.
*Fixes invalid memory freeing in erase all trills/tremolos/drum rolls/special drum rolls that could cause a crash on some platforms.
*Fixes the ability to remark trill and tremolo sections that aren't in a pro guitar/bass track.
*Fixes the ability to remove drum roll and special drum roll phrases.
*Adds error correction for text events that ended up being assigned to an invalid beat number.
*Improves MIDI export to write left hand positions for pro guitar tracks. Since the chord lookup logic isn't made yet, EOF writes a root note of "E" for each chord in the pro guitar tracks' Expert difficulty.

After these changes to MIDI export, Magma doesn't report any errors with EOF's pro guitar tracks except that it will not allow pro guitar tracks to be included in RBN2 projects. Magma is still useful for pro guitar guitar customs in this respect in that it will still error check the tracks, so I recommend you continue to use it even on custom pro guitar/bass charts. This thread on ScoreHero discusses how to build a CON file for a custom chart and sneak it into your RB3 song library so you can play it in-game:
http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=33768

I haven't tried that yet, but if anybody here does try it, please let us know how it goes, along with any alterations you had to make to the MIDI to get it to work.

NewCreature is on vacation through the end of next week, so any new Mac betas will be on hold until he gets back.

Edit: NewCreature has provided a Mac OS X build, which is now available in the first post.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: EOF 1.8b10 - Now with even better RBN support

Postby raynebc » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:44 am

It's time for a new beta. Changes since 1.8b9:
*Adds the ability to set the pro guitar and bass track to use 4, 5 or 6 strings (bass now uses 4 by default).
*Adds the ability to define the tuning for pro guitar and pro bass, where each string is a positive or negative number of half steps from default tuning. The tuning for each is now stored in song.ini tags. This tag is also now read during MIDI import.
*The menu functions to set a pro guitar/bass track's tuning, number of strings or number of frets is now in the Song>Pro Guitar menu.

After studying the definitions of standard chords, it looks like the chord name database method isn't going to be feasible after all. Instead, I'll look the chord up with the "proper" method of constructing the major scales and checking against the intervals for each chord on each scale, ie:

(for each major scale)
(construct the chord as a list of intervals for this scale)
(for each chord name, ie. Major being intervals 1, 3 and 5)
(if this chord's list of intervals matches those of this chord name, a match was found)

So instead of having somewhere along the lines of 168 chords defined in a text file, I'm going to just check each scale for each chord (Major, Minor, Diminished, Augmented, Major 6th, Minor 6th, 7th, Major 7th, Minor 7th, 7th with b5, 7th with #5, Diminished 7th). For the immediate time being EOF won't track octaves, so it won't detect chords like Gaug11, you will probably have to manually name those chords if you want their names to show up. Getting this working will probably take several more days, but in the mean time, please hammer away on the new string and tuning logic and let me know if you find any errors. I've included some of the more basic tuning names for 6 string guitar (ie. Drop D, C tuning, etc), and standard tuning for guitar and bass (4, 5 or 6 string) are recognized. I can include more tuning names without any real difficulty, so if there are any that some of the guitarists here feel are important for EOF to recognize by name, please let me know and I can add them.

Edit:
I've gotten to 18 chord definitions so far, bringing the total number of recognized chords from the 12 major scales to 216:
{"madd4", "1,b3,4,5"},
{"dim", "1,b3,b5"},
{"dim7", "1,b3,b5,6"},
{"m7b5", "1,b3,b5,b7"},
{"min", "1,b3,5"},
{"min6", "1,b3,5,6"},
{"min7", "1,b3,5,b7"},
{"m/Maj7", "1,b3,5,7"},
{"add4", "1,3,4,5"},
{"majb5", "1,3,b5"},
{"7b5", "1,3,b5,b7"},
{"maj", "1,3,5"},
{"6", "1,3,5,6"},
{"maj7", "1,3,5,7"},
{"7", "1,3,5,b7"},
{"aug", "1,3,#5"},
{"7#5", "1,3,#5,b7"},
{"5", "1,5"}

Does anybody know of any other important chords to include (first 7 intervals only)?
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: EOF 1.8b11 - Now with chord detection

Postby raynebc » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:34 am

It's time for a new beta. Changes since 1.8b10:
*Corrects string order issues in the note edit and tuning edit dialogs.
*Adds chord detection logic, currently recognizing a total of 26 chords for each of the 12 major scales (312 chords altogether), in any guitar tuning (each string can only be tuned up to 11 half steps above/below its standard tuning). The detected chord names will display in the Info panel, 3D panel and Editor panel automatically in brackets []. During MIDI export, the correct scale for each chord is detected so that the correct root note is written to the pro guitar/bass tracks, allowing the correct chord name to dispay in Rock Band 3. I plan to add scale detection for manually named notes, but for now, any chord that isn't detectable has a root note of 'A' written instead just so the MIDI is usable for pro guitar customs.
*Made corrections and improvements to the edit pro guitar note dialog, especially the name and legacy bitmask auto complete/apply logic.
*Adds an "Edit name" function to the Note menu, making it more convenient to remove manually entered notes to have names automatically detected instead.
*Updated the Info panel to reflect the track's number of strings when drawing the fret numbers in the selected note.

I think most standard chords are recognized:

Code: Select all

(name)  (intervals)
   {"sus2", "1,2,5"},
   {"madd4", "1,b3,4,5"},
   {"dim", "1,b3,b5"},
   {"dim7", "1,b3,b5,6"},
   {"m7b5", "1,b3,b5,b7"},
   {"min", "1,b3,5"},
   {"min7b6", "1,b3,5,b6,b7"},
   {"min6", "1,b3,5,6"},
   {"min6/Maj7", "1,b3,5,6,7"},
   {"min7", "1,b3,5,b7"},
   {"m/Maj7", "1,b3,5,7"},
   {"add4", "1,3,4,5"},
   {"majb5", "1,3,b5"},
   {"7b5", "1,3,b5,b7"},
   {"maj7b5", "1,3,b5,7"},
   {"maj", "1,3,5"},
   {"6", "1,3,5,6"},
   {"7", "1,3,5,b7"},
   {"maj7", "1,3,5,7"},
   {"aug", "1,3,#5"},
   {"aug7", "1,3,#5,b7"},
   {"majAug7", "1,3,#5,7"},
   {"sus4", "1,4,5"},
   {"7sus4", "1,4,5,b7"},
   {"b5", "1,b5"},
   {"5", "1,5"}

If anybody notices that chords in a custom pro guitar chart are detected incorrectly, I messed up a chord abbreviation, messed up a chord's interval formula or am missing some chord entries, please let me know. Slash chord detection will be next, but I'll need to spend some more time to see how they are marked in RB3.
Bigjoe5

Re: EOF 1.8b11 - Now with chord detection

Postby Bigjoe5 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:23 am

I know you can specify the number of frets in the PART_REAL_GUITAR track, but for RB3 purposes, it might be nice to have PART_REAL_GUITAR_22 to work as a seperate track, since that is what the Squier charts are called in-game, IIRC.

Of course, maybe I should actually get my Pro Upgrades working before making suggestions...
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: EOF 1.8b12 - Now with five lane drum support

Postby raynebc » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:36 pm

I'm definitely going to take care of that sometime down the road, I just have to get the rest of the guitar authoring logic finished up and adding 22 fret pro guitar and bass tracks should be pretty easy.

It's time for a new beta. Changes since 1.8b11:
*Organized the Note and Song menus, several instrument specific functions have been placed into a submenu such as "Pro Guitar", "Drum" or "Lyrics".
*The user option to "display semitones as flat" (song menu) now is respected for chord names and tuned string note names (ie. displaying C# instead of Db).
*Added the ability to mark the strum direction (up or down) for pro guitar notes. MIDI import and export has been updated to use RB3's notation.
*The writing of root note during pro guitar export has been updated to write a note of 17 for all chords that are un-named and cannot have their chord type detected, as per RB3's notation. Slash chords still cannot be automatically detected, but manually named slash chords (any name with a valid scale followed by optional whitespace and a forward or backward slash) will have an additional root note of 16 written, as per RB3's notation of slash chords.
*MIDI import and export has been updated to use RB3's chord naming system, where "[chrd1 ...]", "[chrd2 ...] and "[chrd3 ...]" override the game's chord name detection for Medium, Hard and Expert difficulties, respectively. I added a nonstandard "[chrd0 ...]" notation for note names in Easy difficulty, just in the event that a chart author wants that option.
*Fixed some bugginess with the pen note in tracks that have 4 lanes (ie. pro bass, dance).
*Made corrections in the chord detection logic, where previously it wasn't correctly building the list of scale intervals present in the chord being looked up. One more chord definition has also been added, bringing the total to 27 chords per scale (324 altogether).
*Adds the ability to author a "five lane" drum track, where the gem for lane 6 is written one MIDI note higher than the gem for lane 5.

For five lane drums, just open the Song menu, select "Enable five lane drums" and you're ready to go.

I'm still working on slash chord automatic detection, but I created a list of 7982 chord variations for 4 string bass and 31437 chord variations for 6 string guitar:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/1k8fzt
Since the octave of each note is still not being tracked, I still plan on using the note played on the lowest guage string as the bass note. Some chords could possibly be multiple identical chords in various scales due to those chords containing the same notes, but the first match will always be returned, searching in order from scale A to scale G#.
Guac is extra
vandorb12

Postby vandorb12 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:20 pm

can pro drums (7-lane) still be written even when you set the standard set to 5-lane?
YouTube (Rocksmith!)
The one, the only, the fretter of The Barebones.

Spoiler:Facebook

Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:40 pm

I haven't tried it, but as far as I know, it would write any lane 5 gems in addition to the usual pro drum (tom drum) markers, so I'd say give it a shot. I'm not sure how you'd be able to fully play that kind of chart though, unless it's with an electronic drum kit.
Syfatalityz

Postby Syfatalityz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:25 pm

Can anyone upload the program to Mediafire? I can't download from SendSpace, I click the download button and the page reloads.
Syfatalityz

Postby Syfatalityz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:12 pm

raynebc wrote:Here's a MediaFire mirror:
http://www.mediafire.com/?owd33otzdqbg31t

For the long term, it may be worthwhile to see if you can get the original download link to work, as I only really plan on uploading mirrors upon request.

Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:10 pm

I'm still grappling with the concepts of how to program a way to detect slash chords. From what I read, you could play it with any of those notes as the lowest and it's still technically a regular C major chord, as there seems to be no consistent convention in guitar theory that the lowest played pitch in a chord (the bass note) has to be the root note of the chord. The chord C major, for example, is the combination of notes C, E and G. If we replaced one of those notes so that the lowest played note is anything except C, E or G, that seems to be where it could be considered a slash chord. So B2, E3, G3 would be considered a C/B chord. Can anybody with strong music theory knowledge confirm if this would be a correct way to implement slash chord detection? It would avoid the requirement of building a database of variations of each chord for the guitar's current tuning and would make things a lot simpler.
Guac is extra
vandorb12

Postby vandorb12 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:14 pm

raynebc wrote:I'm still grappling with the concepts of how to program a way to detect slash chords. From what I read, you could play it with any of those notes as the lowest and it's still technically a regular C major chord, as there seems to be no consistent convention in guitar theory that the lowest played pitch in a chord (the bass note) has to be the root note of the chord. The chord C major, for example, is the combination of notes C, E and G. If we replaced one of those notes so that the lowest played note is anything except C, E or G, that seems to be where it could be considered a slash chord. So B2, E3, G3 would be considered a C/B chord. Can anybody with strong music theory knowledge confirm if this would be a correct way to implement slash chord detection? It would avoid the requirement of building a database of variations of each chord for the guitar's current tuning and would make things a lot simpler.

Welcome to the wold of music theory. People can spend a lifetime, and even earn doctorates in this field of study. I think what you're doing here is amazing, but yet it seems impossible! I'm surprised about how much progress you've made on the chord detection.
YouTube (Rocksmith!)
The one, the only, the fretter of The Barebones.

Spoiler:Facebook

aka drumbilical
italianstal1ion

Postby italianstal1ion » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:33 am

Barring any bigger issues, I'd like to see menu memory. I mean, EOF remembers the settings you placed for the last song. Every time I open a chart I have to change to PART DRUMS and also Zoom to 1/10th instead of 1/8th. This is a real small thing, so just something to consider. Thanks!
Index of all Drum Topics on the Forum in one convenient place
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Drum Project 7 Released!
Drum Project 8 Released!
Drum project 9 Released!!
Image My personal topic.
Can't get enough?

Spoiler:Image Feedback + EOF Pro Notation
Image Albelgim collaboration
If you appreciate my work and would like to see more, a donation would certainly motivate me! Thank you.

Return to “Tutorials and Tools”