Easiest way to properly sync scorehero charts using Reaper

A collection of helpful posts
This topic is 10 years and 11 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
drummer from hell
dertanz

Easiest way to properly sync scorehero charts using Reaper

Postby dertanz » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:19 am

Ok so I've seen many people've had problems trying to properly sync scorehero charts the old way (chart2mid+dB+Audacity+offset+rightmp3/ogg/wav). So here's what I think is the easiest way to sync em.

You gonna need:
Reaper
RBN Plugin
Chart2mid
Your Mp3/ogg/wav Obviously
Your downloaded .chart.
A few minutes to do this.

Ok so let's say you already know how to download .charts from scorehero right? You have something like THIS

Spoiler:Image

Frets on fire don't allow .charts like gh3 so what we gotta do is convert that .chart to a mid file. So you're gonna open Chart2mid

and browse your .chart file. Once you've found it you click OK and should look something like this

Now your status should've changed to VALID which means that it is a correct file and you can proceed to convert it. There's 2 ways to convert it, the Guitar Hero way (guitar, bass, coop guitar), and the Rock Band way (Guitar, Bass, Drums), is up to you, although I'd suggest to convert it as a Rock Band mid if you ever wanna add drums to it or whatever, so now click convert. Here's how it looks the guitar hero way

Now you got your mid file which is the one we're gonna use for FoF and for Reaper. Here's how it looks (in case you're using WMP as the default player for mid files),

So now you're gonna open Reaper, grab your mp3/ogg/wav and .mid file

and drag them to reaper and should look something like this (make sure to drag em to the very beginning)

now click OK. Now it looks something like this right?

STOP RIGHT HERE You gotta make sure that Snap to grid is DISABLED. You might wonder why? It's because if you enable STG, you won't be able to move your audio to any position you want, STG only moves from position A to B if you disable it you can now move it to wherever you want. So ok now here's the only "hard part" (which totally isn't). First you gonna press SHIFT + F on the tab you wanna sync, in this case if you wanna sync DRUMS then select the PART DRUMS TAB and press SHIFT + F and you'll get something like this

Click on VSTi and then double click on VSTi RBN Preview (RBN) and you'll get something like this

Obviously I changed the background and did other stuff but that's not important right now. Now you're gonna click on that preview window what skill you want (most charts only have Expert), Easy, Medium, Hard, Expert, and what mode you want Guitar/Bass or Drums.

Now here's where you're gonna SYNC, you gonna move your audio tab to the point where it matches the first note (here's where the RBN plugin works like a charm), you can remove silence if there's any or add silence just by moving your audio tab. Use the metronome or claps or whatever you want to make it as a accurate as possible, reduce speed, wear headphones (A MUST). And there you go you have your chart completely synced. Now we don't wanna save the whole project cause is not necessary, what you're gonna do is go to FILE>Export Project Midi and you'll get something like this

MAKE SURE ENTIRE PROJECT, ALL, MULTITRACK MIDI FILE AND EMBED TEMPO MAP are selected or else!!! That's your mid file synced and ready to be played on frets on fire but you need the audio too, so what you're gonna do is go to FILE>RENDER and you'll get something like this

AGAIN MAKE SURE RENDER ENTIRE PROJECT IS SELECTED AND YOUR OUTPUT FORMAT IS OGG There you go, it's all done! Just change the name of the mid file to NOTES and the OGG file to GUITAR and then do the usual, just add an ini file or copy one from another song and change artist, song, fretter and whatever. That's about it.

I know this looks like a huge tutorial but it actually isn't, is just that I wanted to make it as clear as possible but if you guys got any questions I'll do my best to answer ASAP. There you go, once you've synced like 2 or 3 songs it won't take you more than a minute to get all your charts synced and ready to play em on frets on fire.
The problem with most charters is that they believe that constant tempo means just add a tempo marker at the first measure and never change it.

My Youtube (Subscribe for some awesomeness)
Full Album Single SongsSong ThreadsTutorialsDrum Competitions

Spoiler:2nd Place September Drum Competition (Parkway Drive - Sleepwalker)
3rd Place October Drum Competition (Veil Of Maya - It's Torn Away)
1st Place January Drum Competition (Gavin Harrison - Futile)

Derp
slashfan7964

Re: Easiest way to properly sync scorehero charts using Reap

Postby slashfan7964 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:12 pm

Dude I'm loving you right now. Thanks.

-- Edit: January 16th, 2011, 6:30 pm --

Quick question, how do I place notes?

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
drummer from hell
dertanz

Postby dertanz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:02 am

slashfan7964 wrote:Dude I'm loving you right now. Thanks.

-- Edit: January 16th, 2011, 6:30 pm --

Quick question, how do I place notes?

Glad I can help! Hope more people use this method.

It's really simple to place notes, just click the guitar/drum/bass/vocals or whatever tab you want twice and a new window will open. Here's where you place them:

100 - Orange notes
99 - Blue notes
98 - Yellow notes
97 - Red notes
96 - Green notes. This works if you're using named notes. View->Mode: named notes. If you're using the RBN template every note has its name.

Now as you can see you don't have what's called Grid Snap on EOF or Step on dB for values like 6, 12, 24, and 48. Well you do but instead of those values you'll use:

8t = 12th notes
16t = 24th notes
32t = 48th notes. And you can also use custom notes givin em whatever value you want.

Last but not least, you can use rectangles, triangles or diamonds, I use diamonds cause they're huge. Go to options and check single click inserts/removes notes it makes everything faster. You can also add OD, sections, TS, drum fills, solos. If more people asks for it I can make a chart tutorial using reaper.
The problem with most charters is that they believe that constant tempo means just add a tempo marker at the first measure and never change it.

Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am

Well I already figured out how to replace all the images so I might be able to get the RBN preview window smoother as it runs rough. I've always wanted to use Reaper, but I have no idea in the slightest how to use it.

So I just double clikc the PART GUITAR tab and a window will show with the values I use for where the notes go right? Then I just click wherever to sync to the song....What about beat-syncing....

Also how do I cahnge the t values to be like 16ths/32nds?

-- Edit: January 17th, 2011, 11:35 am --

How do I create a new MIDI track thats blank? I want to be able to place notes in that to a new song.

If only RBN was supported on PS3, I would export these into RB3.

My Song Thread
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
drummer from hell
dertanz

Postby dertanz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:00 pm

slashfan7964 wrote:Well I already figured out how to replace all the images so I might be able to get the RBN preview window smoother as it runs rough. I've always wanted to use Reaper, but I have no idea in the slightest how to use it.

So I just double clikc the PART GUITAR tab and a window will show with the values I use for where the notes go right? Then I just click wherever to sync to the song....What about beat-syncing....

Also how do I cahnge the t values to be like 16ths/32nds?

-- Edit: January 17th, 2011, 11:35 am --

How do I create a new MIDI track thats blank? I want to be able to place notes in that to a new song.

If only RBN was supported on PS3, I would export these into RB3.

Ok I just updated my Reaper to 3.74, lots of cool stuff happening and making it easier.

1.-You double click the midi part for PART GUITAR, and that'll open the Midi editor.

2.-About tempo map, beat-syncing and Time Signatures Go Here

3.-You change the values when you open the Midi editor there's a lil tab called grid there you have all the values, scroll up to see what values like 12th and 24th are called.

4.-For a blank midi track first go to Insert->Track (Ctrl+T), and then Insert New MIDI Item.

5.- You can play RBN on your PS3, you can't use the audition feature. RBN and RBA are 2 different things...

Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:34 pm

Wait how can I play them on my PS3?

My Song Thread
Custom charter
inimitable

Postby inimitable » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:07 pm

To sync your audio, zoom in and use the waveform. That's why it's there. Relying on the RB plugin to sync is a terrible idea, considering the amount of A/V lag.
RJTeam

Postby RJTeam » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:41 pm

When I open Leff's Chart2Mid Converter it wont open only the logo? it worked before I restarted my hard drive.
drummer from hell
dertanz

Postby dertanz » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:03 pm

RJTeam wrote:When I open Leff's Chart2Mid Converter it wont open only the logo? it worked before I restarted my hard drive.

update java

RJTeam

Postby RJTeam » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:17 pm

dertanz wrote:
RJTeam wrote:When I open Leff's Chart2Mid Converter it wont open only the logo? it worked before I restarted my hard drive.

update java

It still wont work. When I update then click the Chart2Mid.exe it does the same thing.
drummer from hell
dertanz

Postby dertanz » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:15 pm

how about run it as administrator?

RJTeam

Postby RJTeam » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:06 pm

dertanz wrote:how about run it as administrator?

still doesnt work
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:23 pm

My mid is all synced in Reaper, but when I go to play it in Phase Shift it's out of sync.

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

aander91:Sorry, but that'd be providing for minors, which is illegal.

T3HM3T4L:But I'm 18 years old... ?

aander91:Nope. Sorry.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

drummer from hell
dertanz

Postby dertanz » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:47 pm

Ambiguity wrote:My mid is all synced in Reaper, but when I go to play it in Phase Shift it's out of sync.

I don't know why's that sorry... I don't think I know anything about phase shift, only that most people keep playing it instead of frets of fire lol :tongue: Italianstalion told me that if a chart works on frets on fire then it should work on phase shift... All i could think of is that maybe the audio is not rendered properly? That used to happen to me when i first started using Reaper with frets on fire, the charts were good and all but the audio was rendered with different values, I changed those values and it was working again. Then again that's the only think I could think of right now, hope it helps. Cheers

Return to “Tutorials and Tools”