FoF Lyric Converter 2.40b (100% success rate)

A collection of helpful posts
This topic is 3 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
i Rock GH Told Me
metallikatz

Re: FoF Lyric Converter 1.7 (100% success rate)

Postby metallikatz » Thu May 07, 2009 12:03 pm

this might be asking to much but do you think you could make a video showing us how to... i mean then u wont get so many so many nooby questions by people like me lol
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: FoF Lyric Converter 1.8 (100% success rate)

Postby raynebc » Mon May 11, 2009 1:31 am

Here's a demo video to convert from MIDI to Script (subtitle) style lyrics (AVI file, Xvid format):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/zct9em

Some quick notes:
*In Windows, bring up the command window by opening the Start menu, selecting Run, typing cmd and hitting enter.
*In the command window, you can use TAB to auto-complete a file/folder name, so I only had to type c:\fof and hit TAB to complete the name of the program. Copying the program to c:\ provides an easy way to access the program no matter which directory you command window is in.
*cd is the change directory command, which changes the current working directory for the command window. This is similar to browsing to another folder through Windows' graphical interface.
*The command window remembers the "current directory" for each drive you have, so in my video, I had to type f: ENTER to change to my flash drive, which has the MIDI file I'm converting.
*With the command window at the directory that has the file I want to convert, I can easily run the program by specifying the parameters to import the MIDI file in this folder (-in midi notes.mid) and specifying the parameters to export the lyrics in script format (-out script script.txt). The program knows where notes.mid is because the command window is in the folder that contains it. The script.txt file is automatically saved in the current directory of the command window, but I could just as easily have saved it elsewhere by putting a folder path in front of the filename (such as -out script "c:\fof\mychart\script.txt").

Practice with the program, you can then try using other parameters. A good exercise would be to apply line grouping, so that the output lyrics are line by line instead of per syllable (since I made the input lyrics as per-syllable lyrics). If you want to try it out, here is the MIDI file and song.ini used in the demo:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/x4ujjd

--- EDIT ---

Updated to version 1.8. I have made massive edits to the source code and have finally been able to add UltraStar import functionality. I still need to add a couple of finishing touches, such as writing the freestyle modifier (#) and writing overdrive vocal sections where applicable, but that should be available within the next couple minor revisions.

Until a stable release of Frets on Fire fully implements pitched vocal support and doesn't misread pitch as available instrument difficulties, all scrolling lyrics will remain being exported as a generic pitch. When FoF is ready for it, I only have to un-comment two lines of code in the converter.

You can get the newest Windows binary in the first post.
Rocker Troll
KaelemGaen

Re: FoF Lyric Converter 1.8 (100% success rate)

Postby KaelemGaen » Mon May 11, 2009 5:00 pm

So, I'm trying to convert the USD version of a song to one I can use in FoFix, but it comes up with the error
"Error: Lyric "with" will overlap with "you". Aborting" Is there a setting I can fudge around with to get them to not overlap?
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: FoF Lyric Converter 1.81 (100% success rate)

Postby raynebc » Sat May 23, 2009 1:36 am

PM me a link to the UltraStar text. I may need to handle something differently, as my testing a few UltraStar files is not completely exhaustive. To which format are you wanting to convert?

Edit: As I expected, the input UltraStar file had errors. It was relatively simple to edit the text file to correct the errors before importing it into the converter, but I'll try to add automated error correction.

--- EDIT ---

Updated to version 1.81. Fixed a few bugs and made some other enhancements. The Windows/DOS binary is in the first post, Linux build to follow.
tunah

Re: FoF Lyric Converter 1.81 (100% success rate)

Postby tunah » Sat May 23, 2009 4:31 am

This looks like a great tool. I can't get it to work though:

Code: Select all

$ FoFLyricConvert -in vl paranoid.vl -out midi guitar.mid notes.mid
End of lyric line detected when none is started during VL load.  Aborting

It's entirely possible I've done something wrong with the VL file, I haven't used that program before. VL file (inside a zip because of a dumb webhost): http://tunah.undo.it/misc/paranoid.zip

Any ideas?

---- EDIT ----

Found my issue - in a VL file, if the last marked syllable on a line is only a single character long, this causes the parser to fail with the error "End of lyric line detected when none is started during VL load."

I worked around this by adding a space at the end of each such line, but it's probably worth a fix.

Possibly related: if my lyrics are marked as "I remember" then the verbose output lists the lyric chunks as "I r", "rem", "memb" and "ber", which means the only time a chunk has length 1 is when it's the last syllable on a line and the syllable has length 1 (i.e. same circumstances as this bug).

---- EDIT 2 ----

Hm, when I actually play the song in frets on fire the lyrics do show up as "I r rem memb ber". This can't be intended?
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: FoF Lyric Converter 1.84 (100% success rate)

Postby raynebc » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:50 pm

I must have broken that when I overhauled the VL import code, but I fixed it. I also fixed the "End of lyric line detected when none is started during VL load" condition, which looked to be caused by having a sync entry of one character at the end of a line (line 20 of your file has a sync entry for '_'). I'll do a little more testing to make sure nothing else is broken, and add a couple more fixes before I upload another minor revision (probably within a couple days).

trinidude4's Mac build of version 1.81 is in the first post.

--- EDIT ---

Updated to version 1.82, which adds various fixes, including corrections for the VL import problems.

Updated builds are in the first post.

--- EDIT ---

Updated to version 1.83, giving various enhancements as well as the ability to import LRC files, which are very common on the internet. Latest builds are in the first post.

--- EDIT ---

Updated to version 1.84, adding several fixes and improvements. Latest builds are in the first post.
atakankemal

Postby atakankemal » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:38 pm

Damn, I still can't get the program to work! Still get the command thing. Any solutions?
omgyouredead
ryanpanties

Postby ryanpanties » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:43 am

I keep wondering if there's a good way to write a .chart+lyrics&pitch.txt>midi conversion that would pull notes from the vocals track of a .chart and lyric-syllable+pitch from a certain format text file. Is this something you could possibly incorporate into your converter?

This would allow me to chart syllable patterns in Feedback (green notes under F10), then just break lyrics down into a text format that includes pitch information for each syllable (in the case of my vocal-charting interests, largely pitchless). The combination of the two text sources (.chart and .txt) could just run sequentially (next line = next note) to keep the lyrics format simple. Still not the perfect solution perhaps, but a hell of a lot better than KRmaker, which is where I've ended up so far.

I'd write a tutorial for the full vocal charting process done in this manner if you could add the feature here. :wink:
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:19 am

ryanpanties wrote:I keep wondering if there's a good way to write a .chart+lyrics&pitch.txt>midi conversion that would pull notes from the vocals track of a .chart and lyric-syllable+pitch from a certain format text file.

I don't see much benefit in using a method like this versus a high resolution editor like VividLyrics (which allows for lyric timing with a .01 second resolution), except that beat syncing your lyrics is forced, even if you don't need/want it to be.

Since Feedback doesn't (as far as I know) support lyrics, I don't see the use in writing an enormous amount of code to natively import a .chart file. If at all, I'd probably end up writing the functionality so that you have to give it a MIDI file that was appropriately named "PART VOCALS", the lyrics would have to be in some sort of delimited text format (ie. one lyric per line) and they would just match up one lyric per note in the PART VOCALS midi track. It can be done (with hours of coding I'm sure), but I foresee that the quality of the lyric timings generated using Feedback would be substantially lower than those created using a suitable lyric editor.

My proposed vocal charting path, as mentioned in the Lyric Converter thread:
VividLyrics (or another lyric editor) -> convert to UltraStar format-> edit in an UltraStar editor (for adding pitch manually or via microphone).
omgyouredead
ryanpanties

Postby ryanpanties » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:28 am

raynebc wrote:I don't see much benefit in using a method like this versus a high resolution editor like VividLyrics (which allows for lyric timing with a .01 second resolution), except that beat syncing your lyrics is forced, even if you don't need/want it to be.

You may be technically right, but unless I'm mistaken you've already provided a means of doing that and yet custom vocal tracks are not being charted. Realistically, most of the people here are not going to start charting vocals until there's something familiar to the process, and that means EOF or Feedback involved, not a string of new programs, no matter how effective they may be. We're still trying to talk people out of charting guitar in Freetar Editor, for christ's sake. I'm just worried that you're striving for perfection-in-process beyond what charters will have the patience to follow, because I consider myself pretty motivated on this front and I'm still seeing this as an overly tedious amount of work to be worth doing (at least for more than one or two songs) the way you want it done. :crying:

I have high hopes that EOF will eventually support vocals, but for the moment I wish that someone was working on something that would give charters a stepping stool from the ledge we're already used to onto a place where we can start responding to requests for FoFix vocal tracks.

Feedback doesn't support lyrics, but it does allow for a vocal track where one could easily chart the vocal patterns in as green notes. It does require that you work within beatsynced increments, but you're talking increments that in the vast majority of cases are plenty tiny for lyric timing... unless we've got a bunch of 20bpm songs we want to sing rapid lyrics to.

Several programs exist that perform the exact process required to convert those notes in the chart to notes in a midi, but none currently support exporting from the vocals track, so one would have to export the vocal notes in the guitar/drums/etc track, then edit in a midi editor and combine midi files to get the full band effect.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:34 am

For the immediate time being, I'll hold off on the Feedback idea. NewCreature may have something up his sleeve for EOF and Feedback, for all intents and purposes, seems like an end of development project. It would ultimately be more appropriate for the ScoreHero folks to create a suitable chart->MIDI tool that exports the vocal rhythm track. Even then, people will have to use another tool to add pitch.
omgyouredead
ryanpanties

Postby ryanpanties » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:01 pm

raynebc wrote:For the immediate time being, I'll hold off on the Feedback idea. NewCreature may have something up his sleeve for EOF and Feedback, for all intents and purposes, seems like an end of development project. It would ultimately be more appropriate for the ScoreHero folks to create a suitable chart->MIDI tool that exports the vocal rhythm track. Even then, people will have to use another tool to add pitch.

Yes, but anyone with a barebones knowledge of music could use guitar/keyboard+ears+notepad as that final tool and already have an end result in a fraction of the time involved in your proposed method. "More appropriate" at scorehero how? We're trying to achieve the exact same thing both places, best as I can tell, now that FoFix has effectively cloned RB features in almost every way. I'll lay off here and leave the commenting to the people wanting to talk about the converter you wrote. I feel like you must know something I don't about the future of EOF to rationally maintain the point of view that current resources for vocal charting are at all adequate.
bokan

Postby bokan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:05 pm

I keep getting the error "unicode character detected in tag sting."

I am trying to convert VL to script.txt. However, if I use the example code, it can't find anything... Anyone know how to fix this? (*ed*: I tried it exactly like it shows in the video and it's still happening... I also installed the visual C++ stuff)

Code: Select all

-in vl atp.vl -out script script.txt
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:19 pm

This would most likely happen if you copied foreign character encoding (ie. from a web site) and pasted it into VividLyrics Editor. Unfortunately, I don't know how to add Unicode support and various lyric tools may not support it either. What I usually do in this scenario is to try typing it manually to get rid of the foreign characters. If you'd like, you can send me the VL file and I can confirm that this is the problem.

Return to “Tutorials and Tools”