FoF Lyric Converter 2.40b (100% success rate)

A collection of helpful posts
This topic is 3 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: FoF Lyric Converter 1.5

Postby raynebc » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:19 pm

Updated from version 1.4 to 1.5. The main changes are the ability to import script.txt lyrics, and the ability to handle various errors in the MIDI file during lyric import.

Despite all the problems with the "Welcome Home" MIDI, the program can now import the lyrics so that they are usable. Other MIDI files may have problems that need to be handled, so if you find one, please post about it in this thread.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: FoF Lyric Converter 1.51

Postby raynebc » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:57 am

Fixed a bug that would occasionally cause the program to be terminated due to a Segment Fault (accessing memory not belonging to it).

Notably, I compiled the program so that it is a 32 bit Windows executable instead of a 16 bit executable as it was originally. It is noticeably faster now, and can support long command lines (16 bit Windows applications have a relatively low character limit for command lines). This had become an annoyance when I created a batch file to convert RB1 MIDIs to script.txt format in mass. 3 of the 184 RB MIDIs I have ran through my program still have some errors that I will have to try to program around (ie. "H-Blockx- Countdown to Insanity"), but all of the other MIDIs I tried that have lyrics are usable with my program.
Darkblaze53

Postby Darkblaze53 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:40 pm

Uh... Question.

When adding lyrics to the song in vividlyrics, do you have to mark each word individually for scrolling words to work properly?
'Cause I tried to convert one song, and the lyrics didn't show up...
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:59 pm

You can sync the lyrics in VividLyrics per syllable, per word or per sentence at your discretion. But the scrolling lyrics can only be as accurate as you make them. If you just do line by line synced lyrics, the entire line will scroll by the screen instead of it being like it is in Rock Band. I can try to add logic to space words out in a line, but there's not really any other way because a human has to define where words are or aren't sung. If you want a second opinion, you can send me the lyric file and the MIDI you want the lyrics in.
Darkblaze53

Postby Darkblaze53 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:15 pm

I think I'll try to work it out on my own... You never learn anything if you don't do it by yourself, I say.

EDIT:
Got it working. I redid my lyric syncing to every syllable, but I'm pretty sure my real problem was that lyrics were turned off.... I have a crappy computer, and the memory leak doesn't help it...
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: FoF Lyric Converter 1.52

Postby raynebc » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:37 pm

Updated to version 1.52. I fixed a bug that could cause track 0 to not be exported with the MIDI, which would prevent the lyrics from having the correct timing if the chart wasn't in a steady tempo of 120BPM for the entire song. Due to a current oversight in FoF/FoFiX, it would also cause the game to hang.

If anybody had trouble getting their scrolling lyrics to work, just get this new version, re-export your scrolling lyrics and it should work just fine.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: FoF Lyric Converter 1.52

Postby raynebc » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:41 am

I found out why "Maps" won't load correctly:

The MIDI begins a lyric, and then it ends the lyric line and begins a new lyric line before that lyric is ended. This is probably the single largest MIDI glitch I've seen so far, but I should be able to work around it. When I can get "Maps", "Countdown to Insanity" and "In Bloom" to convert, I'll post another update. At that point, it will have been able to parse every RB midi that I have ever tried.

Edit:
I was able to fix the problems with the "Maps" and "Countdown to Insanity" MIDIs, but "In Bloom" has a unique problem that none of the other charts have:

The MIDI ends a line of lyrics and starts defining the next lyric before a new line of lyrics is started.

Edit 2:
Updated to version 1.53

I was able to fix the problems with the "In Bloom" chart, and in fact my converter now holds a 100% success rate for RB lyric conversion (out of all that I've tested), up from 84/95 to 95/95. In addition, my converter can now detect lyrics that were improperly stored in the MIDI as Text events instead of Lyric events. Until FoFiX can detect the text events as lyrics, this will provide a feasible solution, allowing people to fix the lyrics themselves. You can get the latest release in the first post.
holystoneH

Re: FoF Lyric Converter 1.53

Postby holystoneH » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:09 pm

im trying at the moment this app. i saved a .vl file that is called guitar.vl that have the lyrics and i have my own custom notes.mid file that have guitar, lead and bass as intruments

how do i merge them now?

i think that this should be the syntax that i need. my input is .vl and my output should be .mid

FoFLyricConvert.exe -in vl myfile.vl -out midi notes.mid withlyrics.mid

i wrote in the cmd

C:\FoFLyricConvert_win32.exe -in vl guitar.vl -out midi notes.mid test.mid

but nothing happen im getting only an error that the application cant be executed
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:28 pm

If it says that, do you have the converter's executable at that path (ie. at c:\)? You can extract it to the root of your C volume if you want to have easy access to it, or you can extract it to a folder that is included in your PATH environment variable. Also, what Operating System are you using? The fact that I'm compiling it with Visual Studio 2008 may mean that you could need the .NET framework. I'll have to look into it some more, but if anybody has a non MS compiler they immediately recommend, I can try it.

Your syntax looks right to me, but you might want to provide your song's delay value if it does have one, otherwise the scrolling lyrics will be out of sync. FoF plays lyrics starting from the beginning of the chart instead of the beginning of the song.
holystoneH

Postby holystoneH » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:42 pm

raynebc wrote:If it says that, then you don't have the converter's executable at that path (ie. it's not located at c:\). You can extract it to the root of your C volume if you want to have easy access to it, or you can extract it to a folder that is included in your PATH environment variable.

hm the exe the .mid file and the .vl file are placed at the c root but i still have the error. hm ill see if i can find the error but it looks bad :crying:

edit: i have win xp and have .net framework 2.0 installed
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:26 pm

OK, based on my findings, the Visual Studio 2008 compiler creates non compiled code for the .NET Framework 3.5 platform. I may be able to get it to create machine-executable code, and will look into that. In the mean time, trinidude4 was kind enough to make a Mac build of the program, which is available in the first post. I'll try to get a native Windows 32 program up soon, even if I have to get another compiler.

Edit:
I believe I had created my project as a Win32 console application, so it's not supposed to be compiling for the .NET platform. At this point, I don't know why it won't work on some computers.
Um?
Gugered

Postby Gugered » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:19 pm

I'm glad trinidude4 import it for mac, and it seems like it would work, however when try to convert says : "command not found".
Any help, anyone?
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:56 pm

I wish I could help, but I have no cross-platform programming experience. I'm even having cross-compiler problems. My program compiles and works in Visual Studio and DJGPP, but when I compile in Turbo C++ or MinGW's GCC, it doesn't operate correctly. And even though it's supposed to be an umanaged Win32 application, it appears to have prerequisites such as the .NET framework and will not run on Windows 9x. I'll see if I can put up a 16 bit compile that should run in all versions of Windows without .NET.

Edit:
16 bit Windows version of the program has been added to the first post. It should work for anybody using Windows. I'm going to seek assistance for why the code isn't working correctly when built with some compilers.
holystoneH

Postby holystoneH » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:58 pm

AWESOME :drool: i merged a few minutes ago my vl file with my .mid file it looks awesome. thanks :thumbup:

it worked fine without delay because i add the delay usually as silence directly in the .ogg file. i build my vl file splitted in words and it looks great its only a pain using the editor because you cant zoom to set the timestamps better.

ill try later the commands that are optionally to splitt the works better. but this little app is really awesome :love: its only time consuming to use the lyric editor :sad:
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:12 pm

After creating 8 subtitle lyric files and 3 syllable-synced lyric files with VL, I've been able to get the hang of the program's interface pretty well. On the first pass, I usually play it full speed, and set the start and end for each line. On the second pass, I go over it at less than 100% speed and set sync points for words, adjusting the durations so that they more closely match the sung lyrics. I usually do a third pass to make syllable synced lyrics. But my findings so far are that the playback and click+drag controls to edit the start and stop positions of each piece of lyric are granular enough to not need any zooming controls. A neat little trick is that if you enable the edit lock on the lyric panel, you can use spacebar to start/pause playback of the song, and it prevents accidental editing of the lyrics during syncing.

I'm sure it'll get easier for you each time you make a lyric file. But regardless of the interface, making syllable-synced lyrics will always take a long time. For me, it has been taking an average of 2-3+ hours each.
Last edited by raynebc on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Tutorials and Tools”