FoF Lyric Converter 2.40b (100% success rate)

A collection of helpful posts
This topic is 3 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: FoF Lyric Converter 1.9 (100% success rate)

Postby raynebc » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:00 am

Updated to version 1.9. Major additions this time around are a new export format (LRC) and the automatic removal of "dummy" vocal rhythm notes when converting from vocal rhythm to MIDI. Dos/Win and Mac binaries are in the first post. As always, thanks to trinidude4 for the Mac build!
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: FoF Lyric Converter 1.91 (100% success rate)

Postby raynebc » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:36 am

Updated to version 1.91. Lots of error checking code was consolidated, cutting a couple percent off the program's size. All file I/O should now be properly error checked, with the cause of any failures given. The vocal rhythm note removal during MIDI export was further improved, as was LRC export. Now, simple LRC export is supported. Even though it isn't as useful, some karaoke machines/editors might be more willing to use it than extended LRC. Lastly, you can now write note names instead of pitch numbers in the pitched lyric file. So if you don't want to go to the hassle of converting numbers when transcribing vocal notes or reading vocal sheet music, you can just type the note, such as B6 (B in octave 6, where octave 4 is the middle octave). The Windows/DOS build is in the first post, Mac build to follow.
omgyouredead
ryanpanties

Re: FoF Lyric Converter 1.91 (100% success rate)

Postby ryanpanties » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:43 pm

raynebc wrote:Lastly, you can now write note names instead of pitch numbers in the pitched lyric file. So if you don't want to go to the hassle of converting numbers when transcribing vocal notes or reading vocal sheet music, you can just type the note, such as B6 (B in octave 6, where octave 4 is the middle octave).

I think your update will make this method of vocal charting appear more friendly to the first-timer. Appreciate you taking the time. I'll update my tutorial to reflect this tomorrow.

Even if I don't comment a lot this is one of the threads that keeps me logging in here. :wink:
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: FoF Lyric Converter 1.92 (100% success rate)

Postby raynebc » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:55 pm

Updated to version 1.92. I added support for a lesser-used unofficial MIDI event (Meta event x21, Set Midi Port), as some non RB MIDI files I encountered used this. I also fixed a couple other MIDI read/write glitches and a VL export glitch.

But the biggest addition is a new import format: KAR. These are easily found on the internet and contain basic timed lyrics. Unofficial KAR format MIDI tracks (containing pitches and durations) are also supported. I haven't tested a large number of unofficial KAR MIDI tracks, but they seem to follow a similar formatting. If you find any that cause problems, please let me know. If you get an error saying "Lyric overlap encountered", then it is incorrect formatting in the KAR file. I am going to work on a solution to that kind of deficiency, but it may take a while. Windows/DOS binary is in the first post. Mac build to follow.
Ughh
abomb12

Re: FoF Lyric Converter 1.92 (100% success rate)

Postby abomb12 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:17 am

thanks for the program deffinitly going to be adding pitched lyrics to my songs now once I get this program figured out all the way.
Check out my songs here If you download any of my frets any feedback would be appreciated, Also I'm taking request so go here if you want a song fretted...thank in advance to anyone who gives feedback or request a song.

ArtistSongDifficultySkill LevelLyricsGenreVideoDownloadVersion
Alter BridgeBlackbirdAllImageNoAlternative MetalYesDownloadFinal
Alter BridgeFind The RealAllImageYesAlternative MetalNoDownloadFinal
Alter BridgeOne Day RemainsAllImageNoAlternative MetalNoDownloadFinal
Five Finger Death PunchNever EnoughAllImageNoThrash MetalNoDownloadFinal
HalestormI Get OffAllImageNoHard RockNoDownloadFinal
MetallicaUnforgiven IIAllImageNoHeavy MetalNoDownloadFinal

Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: FoF Lyric Converter 1.93 (100% success rate)

Postby raynebc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:30 am

ryanpanties has a tutorial for a method of charting vocal patterns in a chart editor and writing the lyrics and pitches in a separate file:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41731

If you want to use any editors for the UltraStar series of games and merge it with your FoFiX MIDI:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39779

Or you can use any MIDI editor if you are comfortable with charting that way. Fruity Loops probably won't work because if it doesn't support text events, then I doubt it would let you create the necessary Lyric events.

Mac build is in the first post, courtesy of trinidude4.

Edit
Updated to version 1.93. I hacked at the code an awful lot, but I added various improvements and the ability to export to vocal rhythm format. This is ideal for taking lyrics from another format (ie. VL or Ustar) and merging them with your chart for the purpose of testing lyric timing with claps. VL->Vocal Rhythm MIDIs seem a little unstable when loaded into EOF (sometimes the MIDI works, other times it won't until the source file is edited and converted again) , but I'm working with NewCreature to track down what's going on. Windows/DOS build is in the first post, Mac build to follow.
omgyouredead
ryanpanties

Postby ryanpanties » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:41 pm

Very cool. I've wished for that export before. :2thumbsup:

Also, I noticed you've played with Beatles RB charts.... what does it do if you try to export those to vocal rhythm format? I guess what I'm really getting at is the ability to chart harmonies/backing vocals using this technique, and whether exports of those could be used as examples.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:16 pm

It should work just fine, but by default it will only import the PART VOCALS track. A while back when I first tested the Beatles MIDIs, I added the -trackname parameter to let the user define which track to import the lyrics from. For example, here's how to export the first harmony vocal track of a RBB song to Vocal Rhythm format:

Code: Select all

FoFLyricConvert.exe -in midi notes.mid -trackname "PART HARM1" -out vrhythm harm1rhythm.mid "Paperback Writer Harmony 1 pitches.txt" G4

And the resulting harm1rhythm.mid can be imported into EOF (probably Feedback as well, but I generally don't test anything on Feedback):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2ce33v

As far as harmony vocals, I don't know when/if FoF will ever support that. I'm not sure if there's currently much support in the UltraStar programs either, the last time I heard, 2 player song files were only supported in alpha builds for one of the US variants.
omgyouredead
ryanpanties

Postby ryanpanties » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:30 pm

Cool, appreciate the info. I realize nothing would support the outcome right now, i just wanted to try making multi vocal parts for the sake of doing it. :biggrin:
kirezar

Postby kirezar » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:36 am

hey, I'm working on a converter for another thing, and I remembered that your converter would help me figure out some things, can you PM me the source code plz?

anyway, great work with this, nice converter
saikyou

Postby saikyou » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:17 am

First of all, thanks for making this converter. This is a lot more secure and faster than the scripts I made to convert lyrics before I found your converter.
I did stumble upon some things that don't seem to work right. I searched through this topic, but did not find anyone else having the same problems. I also checked the readme file, but could not find anything relevant there either.

My biggest problem right concerns the Ultrastar format. It usually has a space in front of the lyric to indicate a new word, but sometimes the space is behind the lyric instead of in front. When converting to eLRC for example, it will output the lyrics without any spaces between words.

The workaround for this problem which I currently use is my using YASS to correct these uncommon spacings.

Another thing that I miss is support for the Ultrastar relative timings format.

Again, this converter is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:36 am

saikyou wrote:My biggest problem right concerns the Ultrastar format. It usually has a space in front of the lyric to indicate a new word, but sometimes the space is behind the lyric instead of in front. When converting to eLRC for example, it will output the lyrics without any spaces between words. The workaround for this problem which I currently use is my using YASS to correct these uncommon spacings.

I don't think that the use of a space suffix is officially in the UltraStar file format, but I could probably try to work it in. I added this kind of logic for LRC import, since it can use spacing anywhere. In the mean time, you can edit the spacing in a text editor instead of YASS if you prefer.

Another thing that I miss is support for the Ultrastar relative timings format.

I could probably try to work on this as well. I just hadn't found that it was as popular as using absolute timing.

I'm making heavy changes as usual, but I hope to get another version released in the near future. If you think of any more features that would be useful for the program to support, let me know. And thanks for the feedback!
saikyou

Postby saikyou » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:36 pm

As far as I've read on the Ultrastar DX wiki, spaces should come as a prefix, just as you say, but as the other way around works as well in Ultrastar DX, some timers must have gotten a bit sloppy. I'm working with pretty large batches at the moment, so manually editing the spacings with a text editor isn't really an option for me.
As for features for a Lyric Converter, I can't think of any. Your program is already stock full of anything and everything for a lyric converter. But if I stumble upon something, I'll report it.
As for bugs, I've had some conversions fail because of thing such as negative duration of a lyric or a negative gap with the Ultrastar format as input, I've done no reasearch so far why there would be such a thing as these negative values, so I can't say if this is a bug in your program, strangely timed lyrics, or a prior conversion gone wrong.
Thanks!!
saikyou

Postby saikyou » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:41 am

I sent you a PM about the problematic texts.

Just now I found what might be another feature which would be nice if added:
again, when converting from ustar to elrc, using the -NOPLUS parameter, when a plus occurs between two words inside the same line, no spacing is added to replace the plus, so these two words will "stick together".
I also found that the actual input file does not use plusses at all but rather uses tildes, yet your program appears to see these as plusses, or at least converts these to plusses.
As these plusses/tildes don't occur all that often within a song it isn't really a problem to add spaces with a text editor here, but it would really be a nice feature.

Return to “Tutorials and Tools”