Song.ini Generator v2.3

A collection of helpful posts
This topic is 13 years and 4 weeks old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Rock Lover/Fretter
vectris

Song.ini Generator v2.3

Postby vectris » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:33 pm

The best Song.ini Generator on the net now has full loading options! Find single .inis with the Load feature, or get a whole list of all your song info with Quick Load!

4/1/10 - v2.4 - Bug Fix
Fixed major bug in 2.3 that would cause any inis created or edited to no longer show up in FoF

Download Song.ini Generator v2.4
Song.ini Generator v2.4 was made with Visual Basic 2008 for Windows XP but also works on Vista. It does not work for Macs or Linux.

Screenshots (Outdated):

Quick Load instructions:
To use Quick Load you must first go to File > Options and set the QL directory. Do not set it as your desktop. QL will go through every file and subfolder of the set directory to get every .ini, if you make it your desktop you will have too wait hours for it to finish. Simply find your FretsOnFire folder, go to data and make the folder "songs" your QL directory. QL is not instant so don't exit the program if you click it and it looks like it freezes. I have about 50 songs and it takes only 4 or 5 seconds.

If you get an error when you try to run the program:
Go to http://www.update.microsoft.com with Internet Explorer. *Once the page loads, click the button Custom. After it scans for your needed updates, go to the side bar and click on "High Priority", check all the updates that come from High Priority. Then click on "Software, Optional" and check all the updates with "Microsoft.NET" or "Framework" in them. Then click the "Review and install updates" link near the top. Then click the "Install Updates" button. It may take a while to update, once it's done, restart your computer and try running the program again.

*You may be prompted to download a Windows Verification add-on, just click the button to download it and it auto-matically runs itself, then you can continue to click Custom.

Version History
v2.3 - New form arrangement
- No crashes when loading an INI with a blank setting
- New settings added: Version, Unlock ID, Unlock Required, Unlock Text, and Count
- Save option added to menu strip
v2.2 - Quick Load Directory saves, form centers, and loading time decreased
v2.1 - Genre, Album, and Difficulty Rating forms added
- Forms re-arranged to incorporate additions
- Code optimized to keep size small and loading/saving fast
- "Check for Updates" option added to let you know if your Song.ini Generator is up to date
v2.0 - New form arrangement, tool menu, and loading features
v1.4 - Added Lyrics Feature
v1.3 - Added 8th Note HO/PO feature
- Optimized code
v1.2 - Fixed Hex Bugs
- When you manually input hex, sample auto-updates to color
- Added two Alarian .ini features
v1.1 - First Release

If you wish to leave a comment feel free. If you find a serious bug please PM it to me to make sure I read it. Also I will consider all suggestions made, so feel free to post with ideas and I'll continue to update.
Last edited by vectris on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 16 times in total.
The one and only
1Eddy213

Re: Song.ini Generator v2.0 - New Quick Load Feature!

Postby 1Eddy213 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:13 pm

very very nice..... first post of awesomeness!

ImageImage
Awesome Drum Charter
anthman852

Postby anthman852 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:29 pm

ZOMG!!! This is awesome!

you should add a "quick save" feature where it will search for folders without .ini's. Then you can choose one and save your .ini directly to your song folder.
Rock Lover/Fretter
vectris

Postby vectris » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:44 pm

anthman852 wrote:ZOMG!!! This is awesome!

you should add a "quick save" feature where it will search for folders without .ini's. Then you can choose one and save your .ini directly to your song folder.

Maybe, but then again that would be about the same as simply viewing the folder that holds all your songs as you would see the names of the folders and that's all the quick save would give you since there are no .inis with the real name. It would only be different in that any subfolders would come up. I think something like that is a good idea though, I'll see what I can come up with.
wwebigman

Postby wwebigman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:13 pm

This works on vista. Thanks
masterbee
beespicer

Postby beespicer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:46 pm

Thank you very much for this.
I can not play this game, but I will upload some of my charts from ScoreHero.
With this tool it makes it a breeze.
That one guy
ghfan

Postby ghfan » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:37 am

Keep in mind I came up with loading exsisting .inis.

Still, good job.
Rock Lover/Fretter
vectris

Postby vectris » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:17 pm

ghfan wrote:Keep in mind I came up with loading exsisting .inis.

Still, good job.

Well I already had the idea, I just knew it was going to be extremely hard so I decided not to mention so as not to get anyones hopes up. At the time I thought it was impossible even, but when you suggested it I finally decided to try it, and after a couple hours of programming I found something that works, it actually wasn't even that hard. You get credit for getting me to try it :thumbup: .
2 + 2 = 5
MarvinPA

Postby MarvinPA » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:14 am

Yup doesn't work on Linux. :|

Oh well, back to manually making inis
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:32 pm

This is a neat program. Is it okay if I borrow a little from it's design for EOF's Song Properties dialog? Here's what mine looks like:

"Stop putting so much stock in all of this stuff, live your life for those that you love." - Relient K
EOF - A Song Editor for Frets On Fire
Rock Lover/Fretter
vectris

Postby vectris » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:08 am

NewCreature wrote:This is a neat program. Is it okay if I borrow a little from it's design for EOF's Song Properties dialog? Here's what mine looks like

Sure, of course! I think that will help EOF users out a lot (and me!), they probably won't need my program either :tongue: . But for those who use other Fret Making Programs that don't have song.inis and settings, they can still use it.
(0) <-- The Eye
angellinus

Postby angellinus » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:48 am

Nice one!
Rock Lover/Fretter
vectris

Postby vectris » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:12 pm

Wow, just today I found a serious error in the program that caused it to not save because I forgot to add the song.ini extension onto the save location on form startup. I can't believe out of the 230 people who downloaded 2.0 that no one bothered to report it, there's no way you can use it and not get that error.

Anyways I easily fixed it as well as the *.ini filters on the Load and Save features. Since changes were so small I didn't bother to release it as 2.1. The link has been updated though.
Aeovon

Postby Aeovon » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:01 pm

vectris wrote:I can't believe out of the 230 people who downloaded 2.0 that no one bothered to report it, there's no way you can use it and not get that error..

I never got that error..
Still Alive and Active, Just busy IRL.

4 Referrals Needed (Couldn't find forum rules against referral links in my sig, if wanted by mod/admin I will remove.)
Rock Lover/Fretter
vectris

Postby vectris » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:06 pm

Aeovon wrote:
vectris wrote:I can't believe out of the 230 people who downloaded 2.0 that no one bothered to report it, there's no way you can use it and not get that error..

I never got that error..

Neither did I for most of the tests. Then I just used it again to test something else and I found it, now it seems obvious and I don't know how it didn't happen before. Oh well at least it's fixed.

Update 1/22/09 - Next Version
Version 2.1
- Album, Genre, and Difficulty ratings will be added (they appear in the new version of Fofix)
- Optimized code will keep file size smaller, increas ini creation time by a few milliseconds, and make it easier to add future settings
- I found a bug when loading a .ini without scores, it may have been while creating 2.1 because I never noticed it before, needless to say it will be fixed
Possible Additions
-Update option that will check if new updates are available (hopefully it will download the new version to, but I should at least be able to get it to tell you if there is a new version available).

v2.1 Released

Return to “Tutorials and Tools”