Guide to Making a High-quality Notechart Using EOF - **EOF E

A collection of helpful posts
This topic is 6 years and 4 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
coolguy567

Postby coolguy567 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:02 am

vinceh wrote:Nice tutorial, is this the method which is recommended for uber beginners?

I'm a musician IRL so the timing parts etc. are not a problem, and I only want to learn one method and the best one, so which is?

If you know real music, using anchors and syncing notes to beat lines is definately a good idea. You might also want to check out Puppetz' "Advanced Song Tutorial".
Last edited by coolguy567 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:

OzzyOzrock wrote:
Electro Tomato wrote:
Sealclubber wrote:I believe the proper term for these notes are "EPIC NOTES" due to the fact that they are EPIC!!!!

Memes are so funny hahaha I'm splitting with laughter I can't control this laughter at this meme which uses a word incorrectly oh hahaha

:glare:

That was EPIC.

My songs. All made in EOF, beat-synced and note-synced, not very many missed notes.
Switchfoot - Meant to Live (now with drums)
Delirious? - Investigate (Live)
owlytehowl

Postby owlytehowl » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:24 am

Thanks so much for this awesome guide.

Success!

:D
deoxis234

Postby deoxis234 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:13 pm

Very nice guide! I first tryed Freetar Editor but when I wanted to load a sng it always freezed. But this programm works perfect!

[size=100]I know my english is very bad but it isn´t my mothertongoue, so please don´t become angry...[/size]
Failure Extrodinaire
Dudoronron

Postby Dudoronron » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:41 pm

17. You are finished. Copy the song folder (remember the name you gave it in step 2?) into FoF's song folder and play-test it. If you release it, please make sure there's no high-scores in the song.ini in your released version.

There's an easier, faster way that leaves no highscores in your song.ini.

In a new version of EOF, go to File > Link to FoF. Locate your FoF executable file (the one that you click on to run FoF) and double click. Then locate your song folder (just click on the folder once and go 'OK'). Then, anytime you feel like checking how your song is coming along, hit F12 any time, and you can replay it as many times as you like. Then, when you want to get back to editing, just exit the song (as in, 'Quit to main menu') and EoF will shut down FoF for you.
Bellethezar

Postby Bellethezar » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:52 pm

Quick question, I was wondering about the copy and paste thing, is there a way to copy multiple notes at a time? so that I done have to redo parts of a song that are exsactly alike!!! Thanks for any help.
Retired Fretter
tyros

Postby tyros » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:58 pm

Bellethezar wrote:Quick question, I was wondering about the copy and paste thing, is there a way to copy multiple notes at a time? so that I done have to redo parts of a song that are exsactly alike!!! Thanks for any help.

Yep, just hold shift and click the first and then the last note and everything between those two notes will be selected
Last edited by tyros on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bellethezar

Postby Bellethezar » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:10 pm

tyros wrote:
Bellethezar wrote:Quick question, I was wondering about the copy and paste thing, is there a way to copy multiple notes at a time? so that I done have to redo parts of a song that are exsactly alike!!! Thanks for any help.

Yep, just hold shift and click the first and then the last note and everything between those two notes will be selected

big thanks, no idea how much time thats just saved me, lol :laugh:
Caine777

Postby Caine777 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:10 am

Whenever I try to import an .mp3 or .ogg or even a MIDI file, I just get the error message "File not buffered!" and the program crashes. Any ideas how to solve this? I want to get started on my collection of FoF Thrash songs...
wseyller

Postby wseyller » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:04 pm

Importing an midi is for the purpose of importing the actual notes. The midi has to be prepared in a certain manner for this to work. This is not commonly used unless you have a perfect midi of the song you wanting to make.

Normal Method:

Although EOF is suppose to be able to use an mp3 as it will convert automatically to ogg. I suggest using audacity and convert your mp3 to ogg first. I have no problems if I do it this way. So do this first thing. Also rename it to "song.ogg"

Then

Execute EOF click on "New"
Fill in the Artist/Title/Folder

Then an Open dialog will prompt for the Ogg song. So choose your "song.ogg"

Now you can start charting your song.
My Songs - Metallica, Hellyeah, Puddle of Mudd
All songs updated March 03, 2009 (major overhaul, so go redownload them again)
Caine777

Postby Caine777 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:49 pm

wseyller wrote:Importing an midi is for the purpose of importing the actual notes. The midi has to be prepared in a certain manner for this to work. This is not commonly used unless you have a perfect midi of the song you wanting to make.

Normal Method:

Although EOF is suppose to be able to use an mp3 as it will convert automatically to ogg. I suggest using audacity and convert your mp3 to ogg first. I have no problems if I do it this way. So do this first thing. Also rename it to "song.ogg"

Then

Execute EOF click on "New"
Fill in the Artist/Title/Folder

Then an Open dialog will prompt for the Ogg song. So choose your "song.ogg"

Now you can start charting your song.

I know what MIDI file is. I know how to create them, I know how to edit them.

I know what an Ogg Vorbis file is. I know how to create them, I know how to edit them.

What you don't seem to understand is that EoF crashes every time I try to load or import anything. I can't even import the tutorial.ogg that comes with EoF, because I get the error message "File not buffered!" and the program crashes.

I can open EoF files, at least the one for adjusting my AVDelay but that doesn't really help much when I can't import my -ogg or mp3 files...
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:42 pm

I can open EoF files, at least the one for adjusting my AVDelay but that doesn't really help much when I can't import my -ogg or mp3 files...

Here are some possible reasons for the "File not buffered" error:

1. You have failed to enter a valid folder name for the song. This causes the folder not to get created and thus the "song.ogg" does not exist where it is expected to be. "File not buffered" always means EOF can't locate the "song.ogg" file.

2. You have installed EOF into a "read only" section of your file system. If you are using Vista you cannot put EOF in your "Program Files" folder. You will need to put it somewhere that you (with your current permissions) are allowed to write new files.

My guess for you is #2 because you can load the AVDelay song just fine. If you would like additional help please post the full error message. The full path of the file EOF can't find should be shown underneath "File not buffered" text.
"Stop putting so much stock in all of this stuff, live your life for those that you love." - Relient K
EOF - A Song Editor for Frets On Fire
Caine777

Postby Caine777 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:05 pm

NewCreature wrote:

Here are some possible reasons for the "File not buffered" error:

1. You have failed to enter a valid folder name for the song. This causes the folder not to get created and thus the "song.ogg" does not exist where it is expected to be. "File not buffered" always means EOF can't locate the "song.ogg" file.

2. You have installed EOF into a "read only" section of your file system. If you are using Vista you cannot put EOF in your "Program Files" folder. You will need to put it somewhere that you (with your current permissions) are allowed to write new files.

My guess for you is #2 because you can load the AVDelay song just fine. If you would like additional help please post the full error message. The full path of the file EOF can't find should be shown underneath "File not buffered" text.

It's not read only, and I don't use Vista. I also don't get any other message, just a tiny little window saying "File not buffered!", and nothing else. I'll play around with the folder thing though.

EDIT: I figured it out. I renamed the .ogg to "guitar.ogg", and I could open it.
Last edited by Caine777 on Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeuceZ

Postby DeuceZ » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:25 am

read through this whole thread and im a complete noob at making songs, working on The Unforgiven III and was wondering how do i make notes hammer ons and if it supposedly does it for me how can i make it do it in the correct spots, it seems it's putting hammer ons in very wrong spots and in a random order
jrdnxxhero

Postby jrdnxxhero » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:30 am

you can't make then hammer-ons. FOF does it for you.

And you can't make the hammer-ons into any different spot. you can add 8th note in the song.ini for more hammer-ons tho.
Last edited by jrdnxxhero on Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tutorials and Tools”