Advanced Song Tutorial 2 - *Become a Great Fretter*

A collection of helpful posts
This topic is 13 years and 8 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
masterbee
beespicer

Re: Advanced Song Tutorial 2 - *Become a Great Fretter*

Postby beespicer » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:11 am

I am posting this as proof that this Tutorial works:
Metallica - The Frayed Ends Of Sanity Video

There is no way I could have done this without reading this Tutorial.
I really can't see me charting any other way from now on.

Puppetz, you are the man.
Last edited by beespicer on Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:28 am, edited 7 times in total.
700+ songs fretted!!
Puppetz

Postby Puppetz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:53 am

beespicer wrote:Puppetz, you are the man.

You're welcome! :wink:
Image To support my work and help me get a new computer. Thanks!
ImageImageImageImageImage
ssjfulkon198

Postby ssjfulkon198 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:15 pm

Thinking about things, my mind eventually wandered over to FoF... I decided to look around a find some stuff I didn't agree with because I was bored...

Well I found two things. in here.

Advanced Song Tutorial 2 - *Become a Great Fretter*

Not while I admit you are a good fretter, don't get me wrong, but a tutorial can only do so much. Especially with musical activities, you can go pretty far with help, but there is a boundry that can only be overcome with natural talent. You may say I am exaggerating, but think about it. Anyone can play guitar, but not everyone can be really good (like John Petrucci (And you might need to be slapped for saying JP songs are boring... -_-) )

Another BIG BIG BIG problem with this method is the req of TABS! There is a quote that I believe very very much and it comes from a professional...

Never trust any tab you get off the internet (unless it is from me, of course :-p ). All kidding aside, most people really can’t transcribe music very well. They may be able to get the general feel of some of the main riffs, but beyond that there is a lot missing. The most reliable way to learn a song is to transcribe it yourself (assuming you have a good ear). There are software tools like Audacity (see my YouTube vid) that can help you in this task by slowing down the music, changing pitch, filtering, etc. Yes, this can take a long time compared to downloading some tab, but I think it is a very rewarding experience as you will find intricacies of the song that you otherwise would never have heard.

I would suggest buying tab books that have been transcribed by professionals, rather than trusting a crappy tab submitted by some kid trying to improve his Ultimate-Guitar contribution score. But even when it comes to professionally-transcribed tab, it can be wrong sometimes. A perfect example of this is the official “Master of Puppets” tabulature book. I have owned that book for over 10 years, and I could never play the fast solo in the song “Master of Puppets” the way it was written in that book. Then I saw some people playing it on YouTube and I realized that it was MUCH easier to play than the way the book suggests. By watching some of the YouTube videos and adding some of my own flavor, I was able to nail that solo in a few days. So, the point I’m trying to make is that you can never put 100% trust in tab unless it comes from the artist himself. If something doesn’t sound right to you or seems impossible to play, see if you can find someone else playing it a different way, or try to figure it out yourself.

~KillrBuckeye

That basically says it all. tabs are wrong in not jsut 90, but 99% of all cases. I find his tabs to be the most correct (if not 100%) of any tabs I've ever used.

In my opinion, there is a much better method of fretting than you suggest, which people can figure out for themselves if they decide to read what all I have said. I personally call it "The Superior Derivative of the Puppetz Method." You gave me the idea for part of my own method, and I thank you. I do find that My method works better. Not to say your frettings are BAD, because most are quite good. HOWEVER! You leave out parts that are QUITE easy to hear and you misfret things that in my own opinion, are noobish mistakes.

I also disapprove of you using the term "noob" over and over. There is a significant difference between "noob" and "newbie" that shoudl not be ignored. VOCAB LESSON! In simple terms...

Noob - someone who is bad at something (usually a game (where it is used most commonly) ) and has little to no excuse for it.
Newbie (or newb) - Someone who is bad at something but has the justification of them being new to it.

I'm done ranting about this. Time to find something else! Feel free (anyone) to critique what I've said. I'm in that kind of mood... BRING IT! (jk, but not really...lol)

In early response to some arguements I forsee, I realize people still consider Puppetz to be a fretter than myself. 2 mmain reasons I see for this are:
1. I admit that I forget certain things in my frettings and I take shortcuts in some of my frettings, but not al of them. For example, Not Alone s a near to (if not perfect) chart. As a guitarist, I think I would hear missing notes that weren't there, but I don't. Regardless...
2. Puppetz is a ver well known fretter. This is undeniable and does bias people towards him.

As a heads up, I do not consider Puppetz a bad fretter. He is most definitely one of this best, but I think my own method is more accurate than his is some ways. I also do not think I am the best, but simply that I use the best method in my own opinion.

~Aaron

Hooray for one of the longest posts I've ever seen! :D
Image (Empty Link ATM)
W.I.P.! -The Fall of Ideals - All That Remains

#8 In the Best Guitar Frettings of December (2008)!
#9 In the Best Guitar Frettings of January (2009)!
700+ songs fretted!!
Puppetz

Postby Puppetz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:32 pm

Thanks. Well yeah I would need a slap cuz I said about Petrucci that (he's my favorite guitarist)! But I mean when I went to a competition that was mainly judged on fun factor with the top frettings.

I know what you mean about the tabs. I ALWAYS use my own things in the songs I make. I don't know the last time I would've copied a tab exactly I don't do that. But for new comers with a bad "music" ear. This is a very good way to chart a song instead of them going on their own and don't know anything about which notes are lower or higher or even chords, bends and whammy...

Anyway, yeah. That's it. I know my songs has mistakes.. I do them all in a rush, and only look on time while I'm fretting them and that's it. I rather fret 10 songs with couple of notes misplaced which only a few notices than 5 without any.. Get it! :wink: That's why I've done over 400... could be 200 really awesome frettings.. but I prefer the first one! :rolleyes:

What method are you actually using that you're talking about here?
ssjfulkon198

Postby ssjfulkon198 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:11 pm

Well to be completely honest, it's not very complicated. In many cases, I know how to play the songs for real, and I know that it is accurate. If that is the case, I fret from memory.

Otherwise, I use GP (which you gave me the idea for) for the note PLACEMENT and the I fret by ear. It requires a really good ear and I'm redoing a song that I DIDN'T do this for.

Nothign special, just requires some natural talent... o.o

And Petrucci is my favourite too... :)

~Aaron
Image (Empty Link ATM)

700+ songs fretted!!
Puppetz

Postby Puppetz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:50 pm

ssjfulkon198 wrote:Well to be completely honest, it's not very complicated. In many cases, I know how to play the songs for real, and I know that it is accurate. If that is the case, I fret from memory.

Otherwise, I use GP (which you gave me the idea for) for the note PLACEMENT and the I fret by ear. It requires a really good ear and I'm redoing a song that I DIDN'T do this for.

Nothign special, just requires some natural talent... o.o

And Petrucci is my favourite too... :)

~Aaron

Well sounds like you fret almost like me then!? :huh:
ssjfulkon198

Postby ssjfulkon198 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:25 pm

ALMOST like you... the difference is that FL studio isn't useful to me in the slightest. I get the pitch (and the placement sometimes) by ear. I don't use GP for pitch even anymore... I do that all by ear.

Like I said, I derived it from your method, but it is not quite the same... o.o
Image (Empty Link ATM)

I AM THE CATFISH MAN
Nathaniel607

Postby Nathaniel607 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:24 pm

Meh, it may be right that most tabs on the internet are wrong... but they don't need to be perfect, to be fair, all they need to get right for someone to make a great tab out of them are:
- Good timing
- Know which notes are above others
- Not miss any notes

Do you see what I'm saying? If every note was moved up an octave, it wouldn't make ANY difference to the fretting, as long as the notes are correct in context to the note before it and the ones after it.

I guess I see what your saying, but I agree with Puppetz more, charts do not need to be perfect in order to be fun, so long as you get the 'feel' of the song when playing it.

Also, I have a quation about drum fretting. I know nothing about drum sets, and I don't play drums much (on GH/RB/FoF), so I was wondering what I do when I come across some of the drum you didin't mention, like 'Chinese Cymbol' (orange?), 'Splash Symbol' (orange again?), 'Ride Bell', 'Crash Symbol 2' and 'High Floor Tom'?
blindsk8

Postby blindsk8 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:19 am

Well first of all, THANKS for the tuto .. very clear and simple after you took the time to check what its looks like a little bit :tongue:

So there it is ... last week I begin to read your tuto ( both of them ) open FL and DB to see what its looks like ... begin a few song to see if there is any any ways I can frets a song. After a few days I was like OK thtats not "easy" but its doable, so I started a song from one of my favorite band called : Death. After a while I realise I took a 8 minutes song ( a little bit long for a first song,I mean I want to play it one day :tongue: . So I changed my song to one of about 4min and half. So I begin my song, starting points, a part of key placement, after that, do the beat synching as I can you know.And like probably everybody at the beginnings I was like WoW thats really amazing ( not the song itself but that it is doable) so I wanted to try my minutes of song. So I converted my .chat to .midi ... put it in a folder with my .ogg file. The probleme is when I play in FoF .. the ogg file is playng a little bit slow, like at 90% of his real speed or something like that.I was thinking after doing ~ 400 song, maybe you or anyone else saw this probleme in the past.

THX to anyone who can help about that
700+ songs fretted!!
Puppetz

Postby Puppetz » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:54 am

Nathaniel607 wrote:Also, I have a quation about drum fretting. I know nothing about drum sets, and I don't play drums much (on GH/RB/FoF), so I was wondering what I do when I come across some of the drum you didin't mention, like 'Chinese Cymbol' (orange?), 'Splash Symbol' (orange again?), 'Ride Bell', 'Crash Symbol 2' and 'High Floor Tom'?

Well it's really hard to tell... see it depends alot what other things there are played... But Cymbals are Orange. If more Cymbals are played use Blue. Ride Bell I use Blue as Open Hihat. The Chinese I don't remember... but I know I've fretted it. I usually fret complex songs, so the tom I put there where no other drum is... (Rarely Red though)

---- EDIT ----

blindsk8 wrote:Well first of all, THANKS for the tuto .. very clear and simple after you took the time to check what its looks like a little bit :tongue:

So there it is ... last week I begin to read your tuto ( both of them ) open FL and DB to see what its looks like ... begin a few song to see if there is any any ways I can frets a song. After a few days I was like OK thtats not "easy" but its doable, so I started a song from one of my favorite band called : Death. After a while I realise I took a 8 minutes song ( a little bit long for a first song,I mean I want to play it one day :tongue: . So I changed my song to one of about 4min and half. So I begin my song, starting points, a part of key placement, after that, do the beat synching as I can you know.And like probably everybody at the beginnings I was like WoW thats really amazing ( not the song itself but that it is doable) so I wanted to try my minutes of song. So I converted my .chat to .midi ... put it in a folder with my .ogg file. The probleme is when I play in FoF .. the ogg file is playng a little bit slow, like at 90% of his real speed or something like that.I was thinking after doing ~ 400 song, maybe you or anyone else saw this probleme in the past.

THX to anyone who can help about that

That's a weird thing... I know what you mean. I've had it with a few John 5 songs. It has to do with the mp3 you used to convert it to ogg. Nothing I can help... I have no idea what causes it... So I recommend getting a different mp3. (delete or edit more silence to the song so it has exactly the same start time as the old ogg, so you don't need to resync it).
blindsk8

Postby blindsk8 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:04 am

Puppetz wrote:That's a weird thing... I know what you mean. I've had it with a few John 5 songs. It has to do with the mp3 you used to convert it to ogg. Nothing I can help... I have no idea what causes it... So I recommend getting a different mp3. (delete or edit more silence to the song so it has exactly the same start time as the old ogg, so you don't need to resync it).

Yeah, unfortunetly thats what I though ( it was my mp3 ), Thx to confirm it and thanks it was a fast answer :smile:
I AM THE CATFISH MAN
Nathaniel607

Postby Nathaniel607 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:09 pm

Yes, I've had that problem as well... I even checked the box in audacity that says 'use 44.1KHz sample rate' when converting.

Also.

Nathaniel607 wrote:quation

How the hell did I spell 'question' so wrong!?
ChrisSpencer

Postby ChrisSpencer » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:30 am

Puppetz You Rock! I loved the Tutorial, and I love playing all your work, I decided to take up fretting this afternoon and read your tutorial and the Db one you posted, very clear and very concise and now here I am a few hours later with something that was IMO a more simple song yet I did a live version so the BPM's were not consistent but I did my best for a first time and I would like to share it with you, I will link you and also post up in the songs thread! thanks a million!

-Chris

Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Rich(Live) http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nzktjym1cmw
700+ songs fretted!!
Puppetz

Postby Puppetz » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:47 am

ChrisSpencer wrote:Puppetz You Rock! I loved the Tutorial, and I love playing all your work, I decided to take up fretting this afternoon and read your tutorial and the Db one you posted, very clear and very concise and now here I am a few hours later with something that was IMO a more simple song yet I did a live version so the BPM's were not consistent but I did my best for a first time and I would like to share it with you, I will link you and also post up in the songs thread! thanks a million!

-Chris

Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Rich(Live) http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nzktjym1cmw

Glad you liked it! :smile: The more you fret the better and faster you'll get! :wink:

Return to “Tutorials and Tools”