How To: Convert Phase Shift to Console

A collection of helpful posts
This topic is 2 years and 10 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
InevitablEnd

How To: Convert Phase Shift to Console

Postby InevitablEnd » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:49 pm

Required:
Semi-required:
Optional but recommended:
Converting from Phase Shift to Rock Band 3 for Xbox360, PS3, and Wii
  1. Get Phase Shift audio and chart
  2. Using C3CONTools, use MIDI Cleaner on .mid file
  3. Open Magma and place .mid file into it
  4. Using song.ini, fill in song data and difficulties
  5. Place audio file(s) into designated places
    • If there is only 1 audio track, place in Backing
    • To generate lip-syncing, place audio into Vocals:
      • Right-click Dry Vocals and "Convert vocals stem to dryvox"
      • If there are Harmonies, right-click and select "Copy lead dry vocals here"
      • Change Vocals track back to silence if there is no separate Vocals stem
  6. Adjust preview timer so recognizable part of song is played when hovering
  7. Press Build Song to convert to rb3con (X360)
  8. (optional) Use C3CONTools to convert to other consoles (Wii/PS3).

Most Magma errors are pretty straightforward or Google-able
COMMON ERRORS:
  1. Silent audio gives file not found error.
    • Sometimes occurs when you don't have a full multitrack and use silent audio
        Right click audio track and select appropriate silent audio
  2. Invalid Events Track
      Commonly [preview] or [section_intro] tags used by Phase Shift, but not Rock Band
      • Open .mid in Reaper and remove them from the EVENTS track
      • Export MIDI and try again.
  3. Drum tracks cause errors
    • Sometimes occurs with multiple drum tracks.
      • If 3 Drums track, select Kit, Kick, and Snare on drop down. Most drum tracks are drums3=Kit, drums2=Snare, drums1=Kick
      • If 2 Drums tracks, usually drums2=Kit and drums1=Kick
    • Create new project and re-enter all information
    • OR Merge drum tracks into 1 audio file using Audacity/Reaper
  4. Audio not synced with chart-
    • Phase Shift has a delay tag in the song.ini that some people use.
      • Recommended: Import into Reaper to adjust timing and Render
      • OR Add the appropriate amount of delay to the beginning of the audio track(s)
    • Rock Band prefers audio and charts to start at 3.1.00 in Reaper
      • Songs that start sooner may cause errors.
      • Import into Reaper to adjust audio and/or chart and re-export/render.
Last edited by InevitablEnd on Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
InevitablEnd

Re: How To: Convert Phase Shift to Console

Postby InevitablEnd » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:50 pm

Changelog:
  • 2018-08-06: Added links and formatting.
  • 2018-08-05: Initial Post with text and video.
Last edited by InevitablEnd on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pprincessjasmin

Postby pprincessjasmin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:09 pm

Thanks for the tutorial! I am trying to convert Joe Bonamassa - Lonesome Road Blues from Bluzer's GH release and having the following errors when compiling, how can I solve these guitar chord errors? Thanks again!

MIDI Compiler: Starting...
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART GUITAR): Chord gems do not start simultaneously at [18:4:240]
Rock Band 3 does not support broken chords like Guitar Hero. You either have chords with notes starting at different times, or one note that runs too long and over the next note. Zoom in real close in REAPER and you'll see it.
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART GUITAR): Chord gems do not start simultaneously at [19:1:000]
Rock Band 3 does not support broken chords like Guitar Hero. You either have chords with notes starting at different times, or one note that runs too long and over the next note. Zoom in real close in REAPER and you'll see it.
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART GUITAR): Chord gems do not start simultaneously at [23:4:359]
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART GUITAR): Chord gems do not start simultaneously at [23:4:240]
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART GUITAR): Chord gems do not start simultaneously at [34:4:360]
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART GUITAR): Chord gems do not start simultaneously at [35:1:000]
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART GUITAR): Chord gems do not start simultaneously at [39:4:241]
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART GUITAR): Chord gems do not start simultaneously at [40:1:000]
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART GUITAR): Chord gems do not start simultaneously at [64:4:241]
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART GUITAR): Chord gems do not start simultaneously at [64:4:300]
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART GUITAR): Chord gems do not start simultaneously at [67:1:240]
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART GUITAR): Chord gems do not start simultaneously at [68:1:000]
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART GUITAR): Chord gems do not start simultaneously at [67:1:000]
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART GUITAR): Chord gems do not start simultaneously at [71:4:240]
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (PART GUITAR): Chord gems do not start simultaneously at [71:4:360]
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (MIDI FILE): Unison phrases don't quite coincide at [75:1:000] in tracks PART DRUMS and PART BASS
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (EVENTS): prc_blues_riff_1 event at [43:1:000] is not allowed
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (EVENTS): prc_solo_1 event at [51:1:000] is not allowed
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (EVENTS): prc_coda event at [76:1:000] is not allowed
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (EVENTS): prc_blues_riff_2 event at [80:1:000] is not allowed
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (EVENTS): prc_solo_2 event at [87:4:479] is not allowed
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (EVENTS): No music_start event
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (EVENTS): No music_end event
ERROR: MIDI Compiler: (EVENTS): No end event
MIDI Compiler: Done.
InevitablEnd

Postby InevitablEnd » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:23 pm

As it says, Rock Band does not support playing more notes in the middle of playing other notes like Guitar Hero does, so in your case, the midi note chords in the Guitar track are not beginning/ending at the same location. The easiest way to fix them is to open it in Reaper/EoF, remove the offending notes and redraw them so you know for sure they are starting/ending at the right places. Even if the notes look like they are separate, there can be extremely tiny note overlap that you can't always see in Reaper/EoF, but Magma can detect. Other than that, the Unison phrase error means the Drums and Bass have semi-overlapping Overdrive sections, which you can't have. Either they need to be separate (one after another) or be exactly together. The 'not allowed' events also need to be removed and the [music_start], [music_end], and [end] text events need to be added to the appropriate places too.
The cycle has no end
Gefolo

Postby Gefolo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:50 pm

my error is not listed there in your tutorial.
is always the same, now for the case I am using a custom already converted just to take the test and at the end in Magma appears "ERROR: Project Compiler: DTA compiler failed."

What would this be?
The cycle has no end
Gefolo

Postby Gefolo » Wed May 22, 2019 3:56 am

Reaper??
The cycle has no end
Gefolo

Postby Gefolo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:17 am

the good thing is that you skip several steps like Reaper for example, it already goes from C3ConTool to Magma and still ignores the doubts of who comes to this topic.
tutorial full of flaws and irrelevant to a newbie who has an interest in doing the conversions.
NCRocker

Postby NCRocker » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:12 pm

Hello, I go by HarvHouHacker on other sites. I know I'm posting in an old thread, but let me explain. I'm in several communities about Rock Band custom songs and hacks. I also maintain the Rock Band Customs Project, which deal with all that and abandoned DLC. I ran across Bluzer's thread early on in my project, and was impressed at all the work in it. I had never heard of Phase Shift or FretsOnFire before, and from then on I've been monitoring Phase Shift content ever since. Because several people in my project have used Phase Shift (even though I myself haven't), I could probably help bring this guide up to date.

I don't know what kind of links are allowed, but if any of you are looking for help with either Phase Shift or Rock Band, you're welcome to come to my Discord server to discuss this further. Here's the invite: https://discord.gg/TPak2b3 I also may lurk around this community more, especially if I get a positive response to this message. :cool:

Links: Official Website - Gitlab Group - Discord Server (Invite)
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. - 2 Tim. 2:15

Return to “Tutorials and Tools”