Theme Help - Modifying KiD's Rockband 2

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 14 years and 3 weeks old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
mattisdada

Theme Help - Modifying KiD's Rockband 2

Postby mattisdada » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:38 am

I'm dabbling in a bit of personal (more than likely i wont release the theme in other words) theming. I have been using KiD's Rockand2 as a template as it is the best theme in every retrospect (but i thought it needed some sprucing up :P)
Early preview:
My problem is though, i need B's text to be black. And i need to move A down a fraction. Ive tried looking in the theme.ini, nothing seems to do either of them. So i was thinking it may be getting it from some sort of inbuilt default settings or something....
Anyway, how would i go about changing them?

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: Because people seem to like it, this is what ive done thus far (and a few other minor screens)
The gameplay screen hasn't been touched yet, and i fear i would only be doing minor work with it (i quite like it how it is)

Spoiler:Image

Last edited by mattisdada on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Re: Theme Help - Modifying KiD's Rockband 2

Postby acrox999 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:06 am

For B, try this line in theme.ini:

Code: Select all

song_rb2_diff_color = #000000

For A, I've read the wiki and I can't find any solutions for that.
mattisdada

Postby mattisdada » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:18 am

Damn....

Oh and by the by, if a solution would involve recompiling your own copy of FoFiX i don't really mind getting my "hands dirty"....
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:23 am

You did modify the source code right? Because that window show "Ultimate Hero" instead of FoFiX. Well, its open source, you can modify it but you need to include the source codes. I think.
mattisdada

Postby mattisdada » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:41 am

Yeah I've done lots of modding, but its for personal use. No one (unless they want to) is going to see it.
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:44 am

Can I have a peek? Just screenshots lol. The setlist graphics you made is awesome. But I think you should polish the Back, Change Sorting, etc. texts.
f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:05 pm

wow, I cant help with your problem but I wanna say nice theme there ^_^ lol
Image Image
R.I.P Worldrave
Metallicaholic666

Postby Metallicaholic666 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:18 pm

I kinda want that...
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:25 pm

If you really want to "get your hands dirty" and dabble in the code, you'll want to look at SongChoosingScene.py
If everything works the way it used to (and keep in mind I'm not 100% sure it does), you might be able to edit a py file from the src folder generally provided with FoFiX, and then you can put it in data/library.zip as long as you remove the corresponding pyc file.
So lets say you adjust something in SongChoosingScene.py, then delete SongChoosingScene.pyc from the library.zip and put your custom SongChoosingScene.py in there.

In the future (FoFiX 4.0+) you'll be able to customise just about any aspect of the setlist you could imagine, probably even create your own.
FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Postby jstump91 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:06 pm

@death: The ability to do that kind of patching is a property of py2exe, not of FoF itself, so it does still work. It's a rather unclean thing to do, though library.zip monkey-patching is still a useful thing to be able to do under certain situations. (Also, he has certainly been modifying the code - note the title bar in the screenshot; the text in it can only be modified by modifying the code.)

@mattisdada: We (the developers) would love to see what you have done if/when you feel comfortable sharing your changes with us. (We're also cooking up something that will make the process of making contributions of any kind less cumbersome [as well as more pleasant in a number of ways] than having to maintain a patch against svn HEAD until said patch magically lands there. If you're a version control junkie, you'll probably have a good idea of what it will be, but we're going to go full-on with it probably over the weekend.) If you feel like having a word with us about what you're doing, come and join dev IRC.

@acrox: The GPL places no restrictions at all on modifying the code for strictly private use. The source code requirement only comes into play if he wants to distribute binaries made from modified source code.
jstump91, a.k.a. john.stumpo, a.k.a. stump
jstump.com | stump's blog | FoFiX development | My own code
Can't find a Windows build of the Python module you need? Try my mediafire!
Don't say "Python can't do [insert task here]." Python can do anything with the right modules - said modules may just not have been written yet.
"Python - why settle for snake oil when you can have the whole snake?" --Mark Jackson
Did you search before you posted? Did you read the rules for the subforum you are posting in?
mattisdada

Postby mattisdada » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:44 am

acrox999 wrote:Can I have a peek? Just screenshots lol. The setlist graphics you made is awesome. But I think you should polish the Back, Change Sorting, etc. texts.

Ill post a few more screen shots for you guys if you want. And yes I wasn't ENTIRELY happy with what i did with the Back, Change Sorting, etc either, but i couldnt think of a nice clean (and stylish!) way to do it. That was the best i could come up with, if you have suggestions I'm more than happy to hear them out! (refer to post 1 for screens)

jstump91 wrote:@mattisdada: We (the developers) would love to see what you have done if/when you feel comfortable sharing your changes with us. (We're also cooking up something that will make the process of making contributions of any kind less cumbersome [as well as more pleasant in a number of ways] than having to maintain a patch against svn HEAD until said patch magically lands there. If you're a version control junkie, you'll probably have a good idea of what it will be, but we're going to go full-on with it probably over the weekend.) If you feel like having a word with us about what you're doing, come and join dev IRC.

Ive only done some minor changes, although i do feel that they are important still for my own use.
1. If there is a songs folder in the FoFiX directory, it will automatically use that rather than prompting. I felt that the old dialog was very un-userfriendly
2. I made it so that it is truly portable. Settings are saved in the directory rather than in the app data folder. The base libray path is also dynamically changed... (it checks to see if the current one actually exists, if it doesn't it will default to FoFiX directory/songs. If that to does not exist, it will prompt to choose a directory manually)
3. I changed some graphics for icons and stuff around.
4. Did some misc debugging for song selection.
5. Attempted to make the GH3 HO/PO system, that went WAY over my head. The Ho/Po system is quite complicated, or at least, what i was looking at to try and comprehend how to implement my own....

Main reason why im not contributing with my changes is, im sure there is plenty of reasons why some of the things are they way they are. And im not a guru at python or anything(my programming background is mostly PHP and Visual Basic .net (+ a bit of C#), so im sure my solutions are quite inefficient compared to what other programmers could write.
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:05 am

...and that's how most of the other devs ended up on the team. I'm quite interested in points 1 and 2, particularly your changes to make it truly portable. I'm not sure if you're aware, but if you put a fofix.ini in the exe folder, it wouldn't use %appdata%. Big fan of running FoFiX portably though. I have gone as far as setting up a portable dev environment. (Haven't found a nice solution for MSVC runtimes yet though :( )
mattisdada

Postby mattisdada » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:50 am

I actually did not know that.... But still, i prefer this default functionality....
space warrior
akedrou

Postby akedrou » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:08 am

mattisdada wrote:Ive only done some minor changes, although i do feel that they are important still for my own use.
1. If there is a songs folder in the FoFiX directory, it will automatically use that rather than prompting. I felt that the old dialog was very un-userfriendly
2. I made it so that it is truly portable. Settings are saved in the directory rather than in the app data folder. The base libray path is also dynamically changed... (it checks to see if the current one actually exists, if it doesn't it will default to FoFiX directory/songs. If that to does not exist, it will prompt to choose a directory manually)
3. I changed some graphics for icons and stuff around.
4. Did some misc debugging for song selection.
5. Attempted to make the GH3 HO/PO system, that went WAY over my head. The Ho/Po system is quite complicated, or at least, what i was looking at to try and comprehend how to implement my own....

Main reason why im not contributing with my changes is, im sure there is plenty of reasons why some of the things are they way they are. And im not a guru at python or anything(my programming background is mostly PHP and Visual Basic .net (+ a bit of C#), so im sure my solutions are quite inefficient compared to what other programmers could write.

Death is right - we all started with little commits like that... That said, I figured I'd give a bit of information on the changes you mentioned:
1) It already does that - though the default songs folder is FoFiX/data/songs
2) As death said, it already uses a root folder file if it already exists. One reason we wrote it to use %appdata% otherwise is because people kept putting FoFiX in Program Files (which is protected). Is there anything else that makes it portable that you're referring to?
3) Cool - I'm curious to see what you changed (and why). Visual stuff has never really been my thing, so discussion on that always interests me.
4) This would be stuff I'd like to see most. Incidentally, if you're changing the 4.0 code as it stands, it's in the middle of a rewrite - I'm working on it, so I'm particularly interested in what you've done with the code.
5) The F marker for HO/PO toggle? Yea, the HO/PO business is annoying. Good luck, though =)

And consider stopping by the dev chat sometime - we're there only sporadically, but late evening (say 8-12...ish) in the US is your best bet.
FoFiX dev | Troublemaker | Malcontent
mattisdada

Postby mattisdada » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:20 am

Nah its modifying the 3 strand.... Not 4

Return to “FoFiX”