Help out with the FoFiX wiki

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 14 years and 1 month old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Help out with the FoFiX wiki

Postby death_au » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:20 pm

It has come to the attention of the developers recently that the FoFiX wiki has large portions out of date. This is a major problem, not only because it can cause confusion for users, but also because it seems that things like the song format, for example, is becoming a standard format for similar games.
I, myself, have been very slack in keeping things up-to-date on the wiki. I know of a bunch of theme variables that aren't in the wiki. I know there are portions out of date. I plan to remedy this in my spare time.
Problem is, my memory can suck sometimes, so I need your help. Find information in the wiki that is incomplete, out of date, or wrong and post your findings in this thread. When I or someone else with commit access has some spare time, we'll update the wiki to reflect the changes.

At the moment, the main focus should probably be to do with the song format. I know there are quite a few people familiar with how songs are handled, and we need to be sure the information in the wiki is correct here especially.
That being said, anywhere that needs attention should be pointed out. What's missing? What's incorrect? All help is appreciated.
weirdpeople

Re: Help out with the FoFiX wiki

Postby weirdpeople » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:52 pm

i think the hitglowanimation and hitflameanimation are missing for themeusableimages
Developer of clone hero, and Former FoFiX developer
FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Postby jstump91 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:34 am

We're absolutely serious about doing this for a couple reasons.

- Having out-of-date documentation really makes the site look unmaintained.
- It will help us do the code cleanup we have been talking about by making completely clear what needs to be maintained compatibly and what is antiquated.
- Some other projects have come up that are trying to implement compatibility with files used by FoFiX, and without good documentation that can't happen easily.

Because this is so important, I am sticky-ing this topic.

(If you can help it, don't just say things like "we need to mention X, Y, and Z; the information about A and B is wrong, and we got rid of C, D, and E months ago." Help us do this by providing new text or patches if you can. Or come into IRC and discuss the flaws in the documentation with us. You might know some important details that we would otherwise overlook. Remember, the beauty of free/open-source software is that anyone can help build and improve it, in however large or small a way you might be able to do so. If you have always wanted to help us but you can't code, one good alternative would be improving the documentation!)
jstump91, a.k.a. john.stumpo, a.k.a. stump
jstump.com | stump's blog | FoFiX development | My own code
Can't find a Windows build of the Python module you need? Try my mediafire!
Don't say "Python can't do [insert task here]." Python can do anything with the right modules - said modules may just not have been written yet.
"Python - why settle for snake oil when you can have the whole snake?" --Mark Jackson
Did you search before you posted? Did you read the rules for the subforum you are posting in?
f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:56 am

lol sorry..Im slightly lost what do you mean by "out of date exactly" do you mean like dead link out of date? also what do you mean by "song format?"
Image Image
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:54 am

Asskickulater wrote:lol sorry..Im slightly lost what do you mean by "out of date exactly" do you mean like dead link out of date? also what do you mean by "song format?"

"out of date" means information that may have been accurate for older versions, but has been changed in later versions. For example if some theme images were no longer used but still appeared in the ThemeUsableImages wiki.

"song format" means the internals of the files being used for songs. Eg what notes/tracks inside the song.mid do what, and all the elements of the song.ini file... Stuff like that (mainly the midi stuff at this point).

Meant to do some work on this last night, but got sidetracked on something else, sorry :blush:

-- Edit: 23 Jan 2010, 21:04 --

Committed updates to ThemeUsableImages wiki:
Added hitflamesanimation.png, hitglowanimation.png, co-op graphics, dotshalf, failneck, spinnotes and a whole bunch of other missing images. Added info on the avatars and necks folders. Also added a note about this information's relevance and planned obsolescence.

This is still not complete. There's a couple of "???" and "WIP" marks still in there. And some images may be missing, but I think I got pretty much everything, using Worldrave's GH III theme and KID's RB2 theme.
blazingamer

Postby blazingamer » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:42 pm

Once I get my development environment up and rolling again I'll be sure to start setting up the wiki page for the rockmeter.ini which I'll also try to keep maintained with the development of the rockmeter, that way if I make a change to the rockmeter people will know exactly how to adjust to that change.
worldrave

Postby worldrave » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:09 pm

Cool!! And i'll be taking care of the lobby wiki when we're ready for that. Already got things in order, but waiting til that part's done and Tom will give me the thumbs up when ready.
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:28 am

Revamped the GameOptions wiki page. It's still a work in progress though... SO MANY MENUS!!!
So far I've worked through Gameplay, Control, Display and Audio settings in the "simple" settings...
Anyone should be able to see what I'm doing with it if they wish to continue what I've started. Otherwise I do intend to pick it up again at some undefined point in the future...

Return to “FoFiX”