FoFiX 3.120 RC Problem

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 14 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Bartvo

FoFiX 3.120 RC Problem

Postby Bartvo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:20 pm

Hi all,

I just installed Windows 7 64-bit on my new AMD Phenom II X4 955BE (it's a 3.2 GHz quad core) and new RAM (GeiL 4 GB DDR3-1333-7-7-7) and new motherboard (Asus M4A79XTD EVO) and I still had FoFiX 3.120 RC on my computer from the previous Windows installation (Windows 7 32-bit). It always ran fine on my AMD Athlon X2 7750 2,7 GHz Dual Core CPU with 2 GB DDR2-667(?) and an MSI motherboard (don't know exactly which one it was).

When I now try running FoFiX, it opens like normal, but as soon as I start playing, the audio has alot of static noises in it and the screen laggs with the audio. This doesn't happen on the UberLight theme. I normally use worldrave's GH3 theme on which I never lagged with my old setup.

Somehow, when I just started up my comp, it's already using 24 % of my memory, that's about 1 GB!!!

When I go into Windows Task Manager and go to Processes, I see that svchost.exe is in the list about 10 times and that when I start Google Chrome with 3 open tabs, it opens the window like normal, but in the processes list, I see that it opened it like 4 or 5 times.

Any possible suggestions on what my problem might be? I've been busy ALL FRIGGIN WEEKEND to get my computer to work, I really hope someone can help me.
Uh huhuhuhuhuhuh!
crushedsoul1298

Re: FoFiX 3.120 RC Problem

Postby crushedsoul1298 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:22 pm

could it be that windows 7 sucks?
Bite me.
onedaywiser

Postby onedaywiser » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:25 pm

We ran into this exact problem with my Girlfriends Cpu our solution was to update graphics drivers it was a WEIRD issue but once it was corrected the problem good luck !!
Bartvo

Postby Bartvo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:48 pm

onedaywiser wrote:We ran into this exact problem with my Girlfriends Cpu our solution was to update graphics drivers it was a WEIRD issue but once it was corrected the problem good luck !!

Trying now. I'll post an update if this worked.

EDIT: This worked for the first song I played on FoFiX after installing the graphic drivers. Then at the 2nd song, the problem came back...

Thanks for the quick response btw :D

EDIT 2: It works for the first song in every FoFiX.exe that it starts. So if I start FoFiX.exe, play 1 song, then close it, open it again and play 1 song again and repeat that, then it won't give lagg. It's really weird...
DoctorM

Postby DoctorM » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:17 pm

Try using the py2.4 version. Both versions are supposed to leak memory but py2.6 seems to be worse for many people.
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:43 pm

Bartvo wrote:When I go into Windows Task Manager and go to Processes, I see that svchost.exe is in the list about 10 times and that when I start Google Chrome with 3 open tabs, it opens the window like normal, but in the processes list, I see that it opened it like 4 or 5 times.

svchost.exe runs system services. It makes sense to be open multiple times, as it's running a lot of services (check the services tab of Task Manager to see what services are running).
Also, you get multiple Google Chrome processes because it opens a new process for each tab. This is by design on google's part in order to try and get it to run a bit faster, and if one tab causes a crash it doesn't bring down the whole browser. In exchange, it uses more resources.
None of that has anything to do with FoFiX, but hopefully it clears those points up for you.
Quite a few people have reported performance troubles on windows 7, and mostly it's due to their windows 7 drivers not being up to scratch openGL-wise. Just make sure when you update your drivers you get them from the manufacturer, and not through windows update.
timfromme

Postby timfromme » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:43 am

Hi. I am using Win7 64-bit on my computer. I have 4GB installed and its eating up my memory too. I have to run a program called Minimem and have to go to task manager to run all processors on a dual core intel machine. Without telling it to run dual core, audio and video skips bad. Notes were trying to go up the fret board! Was running up to 1.5 to 2GB without Minimem till it crashed. Now running at around 800MB with Minimem running. At least its working for now on my rig. I feel sorry for people who has low memory machines, cause its not gonna work. And I'm using 3.121 py6. If people are doing ok with their computers running this, I would like to know their computer specs are. I am running T8300 Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 Ghz, 4 GB @ 800 fsb RAM, 2 GB USB drive Ready Boost, Win7 64-Bit Ultimate, and onboard Intel GM45 graphics.
Khaoz666

Postby Khaoz666 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:11 am

I'm using W7x64 in this moment and Fofix workds flawless!!! :2thumbsup:
Bartvo

Postby Bartvo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:00 am

I'm gonna try that Minimem program. Hope that works.

death_au wrote:
Bartvo wrote:When I go into Windows Task Manager and go to Processes, I see that svchost.exe is in the list about 10 times and that when I start Google Chrome with 3 open tabs, it opens the window like normal, but in the processes list, I see that it opened it like 4 or 5 times.

svchost.exe runs system services. It makes sense to be open multiple times, as it's running a lot of services (check the services tab of Task Manager to see what services are running).
Also, you get multiple Google Chrome processes because it opens a new process for each tab. This is by design on google's part in order to try and get it to run a bit faster, and if one tab causes a crash it doesn't bring down the whole browser. In exchange, it uses more resources.
None of that has anything to do with FoFiX, but hopefully it clears those points up for you.
Quite a few people have reported performance troubles on windows 7, and mostly it's due to their windows 7 drivers not being up to scratch openGL-wise. Just make sure when you update your drivers you get them from the manufacturer, and not through windows update.

Thanks for the explaination. I understand it now.
timfromme

Postby timfromme » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:07 am

Khaoz666, may I ask what you you system hardware consist of?
Bartvo

Postby Bartvo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:28 am

Minimem didn't work for me. I'm gonna try installing the one that works on Python 2.4 soon, when I finally get time to.

-- Edit: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:21 pm --

Now that I FINALLY found time to install the FoFiX 3.121 Final running on Python 2.4 and OpenGL 2, I don't have this problem anymore.

But now I have a new problem which I think will be easier to fix than the first one:

When I play the game and I hit a note, it seems like FoFiX mutes the note when I hit it. This doesn't happen at all notes. I have noticed that it won't give me this so often while playing a fast solo (like in Far(t) Beyond The Sun on Expert).

-- Edit: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:23 pm --

Srry for bumping my own topic, I thought starting up a new thread would be even worse than this.

Return to “FoFiX”