[WIP] FoFiX Theme for 4.0.0 - by the community

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 13 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Blue Heaven!
death_au

[WIP] FoFiX Theme for 4.0.0 - by the community

Postby death_au » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:00 pm

Second post updated with a list of ideas so far
Let me know if there's any glaring omissions, and feel free to comment on the ones you do/don't like.

This is a WIP theme, but is more relevant to FoFiX development than anything, so it seemed appropriate for the FoFiX subforum.

Note: This is not to be confused with, nor is it in competition with any other "FoFiX theme" out there or in development, such as Pk403's FoFiX Theme. One thing FoFiX needs more of is original themes. More FoFiX and less RB/GH clones
(No offense to any existing or WIP clone projects)
---------------------------------------------------------

This thread is meant as the starting point for a brand new FoFiX theme, built by everyone who's willing and capable. Work has started on FoFiX 4.0.0, with aims to bring new levels of customization to creating themes. While all this is being worked on, we need something to be able to test the new theme features as they're developed, and FoFiX is in dire need of a completely original theme with a lot more visual impact than the default megalight/uberlight themes.

So the call is going out to you, the community, to get your ideas and graphics together for a new generation of FoFiX, bigger, brighter, bolder and better than ever.

Over time this post will be reorganized to contain better information and a catalog of really good ideas, or those ideas being put into practice.
When we have enough to go on, there'll also be screenshots, and the theme will find its way to the FoFiX SVN for developers and alpha testers to play with.

There were plenty of good ideas in the old "rock meter ideas [unlimited]" thread, and I intend to dig that up and organize a lot of them for this thread as well.
Here's the thread for anyone who wants to look at those ideas and get some inspiration: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=37728

To get things started, there have been some recent updates for customizing rock and score meters. Have a play around with the new features and see if you can come up with some really awesome ideas, and post screenshots of how they turned out.
Keep in mind though, that features such as this are in a state of flux and constantly changing. This means anything you make now could end up broken tomorrow. But if the idea's worth keeping, it can be modified to fit the system.

Another thing to focus on in the beginning is the song list. How do you want it to look? What information do you want to see? Try to steer away from existing layouts like RB2 (we want something new after all). Come up with some layouts and graphics and post some mockups. Whatever you come up with may very soon become possible.

Blue Heaven!
death_au

Re: [WIP] FoFiX Theme for 4.0.0 - by the community

Postby death_au » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:00 pm

Some ideas so far:

GENERAL COLOUR SCHEME
Clean metallic silver, like the logo, with red/orange styalized flames (also possibly blue to white for really "hot" items).
Potentially too much silver is too clinical and/or blinding, so a darker colour to contrast is needed as well, for example purple flames like in Leapo's menu screenshot mockups listed below.
This seems to be the general concencus so far.

Azzco's colour scheme idea:

Spoiler:ImageImage

MENUS
Leapo's Main Menu V1:

Spoiler:Image
With flames:

(In this the album art rotates kinda like coverflow, and a song relating to the album cover plays as music)

Leapo's Main Menu V2:

The idea here is that each row of album art slowly scrolls. The first row would scroll to the left, the second row would scroll to the right, the third row would scroll to the left, etc.
Album art pops-up to tell you what the current menu music is and what the next menu music will be.

Leapo's Submenu idea:

This could be used in many places, like the Continue/Retry/Quit menu on the game results.

Aduro's idea:
Dynamic button directions. I.e. telling you exactly which button you had to press to do a specific action on the current screen. For example green/enter to continue, red/esc to go back... etc. Even if these keys are changed and customized, it will show the correct button.

SETLIST
moodbar might be a nice and original thing to include.

One layout could be like the iPod coverflow idea:

Another idea is an xbmc type layout:

Or a 3D view where the list of songs rotates on a big wheel which comes across the foreground diagonally, with information for the currenly selected song displaying in one corner, with album art in the opposite corner.

Leapo's mockup:

(might be a bit too much like RB2)
Bruut's Wild idea:
You could do the album art rotation on the background of the menu, instead of in front/under like it is in the screenshot. And then let every album cover 'burn down' with purple flames untill it's gone and then rotate in the next one..

coolguy567's thoughts on representing available parts and difficulties:

Spoiler:FoFiX needs some indication on the setlist of which instruments each song has a note-chart for. With full career packs, especially ripped ones from GH/RB, it's not a problem, but if you download a lot of individual songs from Tune Posting then it can become difficult to remember which songs have which instruments. Throw in a player who doesn't play on expert and now it's even worse - he has to find a song that has the right instrument and the right difficulty on that instrument.

There are a few ways I can think of of representing this:
1) a grid. Each row represents an instrument and each column a difficulty. A tick or something is placed in each cell to signify what the song has. In my ASCII art a 1 is a space and an 8 a tick (just 'cos numbers have a fixed width).
[1][8][8][8] Guitar
[1][1][1][8] Bass
[1][1][8][8] Drums
[1][1][1][1] Vocals
This song has M H and X Guitar, X Bass, H and X Drums and no vocals.
I don't like this way - it takes up too much space.

2) We use Rock Band-like icons to represent each instrument and have different background colours for the difficulties; say, cyan for Easy, green for Medium, orange for Hard and red for eXpert. So take the Rock Band Guitar icon (obviously we'd make our own icons) and give it an orange background - that is a universal symbol meaning "Hard Guitar" which can be used everywhere. Take the Drum icon and slice the background into 3 slices of 120 degrees each. Colour one of them red, one orange and one green - this shows that the song has M H and X drums. So the same example song as 1) would show:
A Guitar icon with a three-slice background: green, orange and red
A Bass icon with just a red background
A Drums icon with a two-half background: orange and red
No Vocals icon at all

Where would these icons go? I don't have a clue. :tongue: They don't have to be shown for every song, just the currently selected one. Obviously if there was vocals then there'd always be a 4-slice background as it's impossible to only have (e.g.) expert vocals.

3) If we make the assumption that a charter will always chart the same difficulties for all the instruments, then we can just use two indicators, one for which instruments are charted and one for which difficulties are charted. example:
G B D V
E M H X
Guitar and drums are present, both at hard and expert.
This is nice and concise, but relies entirely upon that assumption: if the charter likes Guitar more than Bass and therefore charts M, H and X for Guitar but only X on bass then there's no way to show this.

4) before I begin with this idea let me just clarify: "absolute difficulty" is what's shown on the "difficulty" panel in the RB2-style setlist in your mockups e.g. "four flames" and "relative difficulty" refers to difficulty levels e.g. "expert"

combine it with the "difficulty" panel from RB that you already have in your setlist; this way we don't take up any more space. Showing which instruments are charted is easy - just only list the instruments which are present. So if we take FP/LT, as shown in the mockup of the setlist, but delete the bass (and vocals) chart then it would show (two brackets represents a "flame"):
Band: () () () () ()
Guitar: () () () () ()
Drums: () () () () ()
So it's easy to see that there's only Guitar and Drums.
Now if these absolute difficulties aren't specified in the ini, we'll still show the box, we'll just put "Unknown" where the little flames go. So some song with just Bass and Vocals charted and no indication of absolute difficulty in the song.ini would show:
Band: Unknown
Bass: Unknown
Vocals: Unknown

Now how to show which relative difficulties are included? This is much harder. Here's an idea, using the same colour scheme as in number 2):
Guitar: () () () () () () () () () ()
Bass: () () () () () () ()
So Guitar and Bass are charted. Guitar has Medium, Hard and Expert. The Medium Guitar chart has an absolute difficulty of 5 flames; the Hard chart is 8 flames and the Expert is 10 flames. The Easy Bass chart is 1 flame; the Medium is 3 flames; the Hard is 5 flames and the Expert is 7 flames.

This also reveals something which is difficult to represent otherwise: Hard Guitar is harder than Expert Bass! The real problem is, of course, deciding how hard each individual chart is...

Alternatively we can put the icons referred to in 2) onto this difficulty panel. So we have the Guitar icon with it's sliced background, then the word "Guitar", then the little flames.

tl;dr: we should find some way to tell the users what instruments are charted, and at what difficulties, for each song on the setlist.

IN GAME
Fetbuttons a granite black (with texture to match)
There may still need to be some sort of colour indicator (when held or something) to match the colours of the notes. This is for those who rely on fret colours rather than positions (such people do exist).

weirdpeople's rock meter idea:

(nicer version)

weirdpeople's other idea for rock, mult, etc:

Nutty's "fuel" meter:
(for star power equivalent. Attached to the right side of the fretboard)

Fatdog's Rock meter idea:
Note: This is now being used in Phase Shift, on which fatdog helps

(with random pattern on it:)

For the above ones, the sp/od meter could slide out when you have some power (maybe with an alarm/code red/missile armed -like sound) and remain hidden when empty.

Leapo's in-game mockups:

Spoiler:

Star Power Activation

Leapo's notes as made/ripped by Nickstr07:

drihscol's note idea:

Spoiler:ImageImage

Jama's note idea (bring back FozZ's notes):

OzzyOzrock's "EPIC POV"

Spoiler:(don't take this seriously.)

Game UI setup ideas by _filipe_:
Idea 1:

Idea 2:

Borisdsp's idea:

Spoiler:Main idea:
Overdrive/Starpower inside the frets. Neck Corner color = rockmeter color.
Here multiplier position, score and an arrow for rockmeter (If in green and goes down, it will become blue and arrow will be on the top again.)

GAME RESULTS
Leapo's score card:

Spoiler:This is a single-player scorecard. The list of previous scores at the bottom of the screen is optimized for the display of one specific type of instrument at one particular skill level
(Click for full size)

The multi-player scorecard has been divided into a grid so that other instruments can be included. Each column represents a specific instrument at the selected difficulty level.

In addition, gold-stars were earned, so the background flame has temporarily changed to gold. On scorecard screens, the background flame would animate to the crowd cheering loop.
(Click for full size)

Updated slightly:

Jama7301's results bar idea:

Spoiler:I've got an idea to either replace, or go along with the starts.

A percentage bar that goes horizontally.

It shows your current best Percentage in say, a blue bar, but it remembers your best percentage with a green mark.

ASCII Attempt

Current Percent: 75%
Best 90%
And when you overtake it, the difference would be in like, red or something.

Mockup in paint:

This could be expanded and modified in a separate subscreen, using bars beside each other (as opposed to overlapping) and applied to score, note streak, average mult, etc in addition to percentage.

Other ideas:
Fret bars (beat markers) actualy flaming during star power equivalent.
Gah.
OzzyOzrock

Postby OzzyOzrock » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:03 pm

Sounds dandy. :D

I'll try to think of something.
ImageImage

I haven't touched a GH related game for 6 months. Woo. My (dead) song thread: Contains horrible things.
Top 23rd negro
mechy

Postby mechy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:31 pm

hmm im no good with making themes but i hope to see some good ones
bawwrrr.
Pk403

Postby Pk403 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:07 pm

hey, the community can help in my thread too you know! :glare:
[/jealousy] [/sarcasm]

anyway, good luck in yours too, (and i wish i could doublepost)
Pk403's Menu
-----------

(As of 15-6-10)

W.I.P
Paramore - Brand New Eyes - Expert Vocal Charts

-----------
-----------

-----------
Uncle Fester
slantyr

Postby slantyr » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:25 pm

i want to help but am totally in the dark as to how anything will work

we are at the beginning of what looks like a pretty major theme overhaul.

i'd like to have a basic framework to start working on before going crazy making graphics

i still have that silhouette background i made a while back

pure fofix would be something like the list cd settlist where we used cd labels instead of album art, but i'd still like having all the instrument diffs like the rb2 settlist

edit: glad to see this finally getting started :thumbup:
abloobloo
RedShadow

Postby RedShadow » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:48 pm

Pk403 wrote:hey, the community can help in my thread too you know! :glare:
[/jealousy] [/sarcasm]

anyway, good luck in yours too, (and i wish i could doublepost)

Why don't you just fuse?! Why can't you guys just put the themes together into one only theme!'!?!?
I'm starting to get really pissed off about this kind of stuff... it's really pointless
Anyway good luck... meh...
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:53 pm

I'm good with graphics just tell me what you need and i can make it
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Tormann71

Postby Tormann71 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:59 pm

amak11 wrote:I'm good with graphics just tell me what you need and i can make it

make me a FoFiX Theme for 4.0.0
/douche

I'd be willing to help, although I'm not the best graphics guy...
bawwrrr.
Pk403

Postby Pk403 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:01 pm

can anyone help with mine?
Pk403's Menu

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" />

-----------

(As of 15-6-10)

W.I.P
Paramore - Brand New Eyes - Expert Vocal Charts

-----------

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" />

-----------

-----------

Tormann71

Postby Tormann71 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:07 pm

Pk403 wrote:can anyone help with mine?

I say that you just help out with this one a lot. I'm sure this theme could use the extra help. It's your call though.
abloobloo
RedShadow

Postby RedShadow » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:13 pm

Why the hell do we need two???? Just help here man. It's the same thing.
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:46 pm

RedShadow wrote:

Why the hell do we need two???? Just help here man. It's the same thing.

Eh. I was afraid of this happening... That's why I disclaimer-ed the first post

Look at it this way... Pk403's version is being worked on right now, and you can go and create 3.120-compatible graphics and settings and get some nice ideas and stuff in there and see how they work out, and when released it will be compatible with 3.120 (and probably include some optional advanced stuff for 4.0.0 by then). If handled correctly, it'll be a kickass theme in it's own right.

THIS thread is to organize graphics and ideas for things that aren't possible yet. To start with it's going to be mainly a lot of talk and not much else. Then when we've got some ideas, we can pull some graphics together and start working on it.

As a suggestion to everyone:
Pk403: keep working, don't give up... But this thread is probably not the best place to recruit for yours
Everyone else: Keep focused on the goal. The future of FoFiX themes looks bright. Don't be afraid because you don't know how the system's going to work, the system can always change to fit the ideas you have. You have practically unlimited freedom at the moment. Anything can go anywhere and behave however you can imagine.
In the beginning, I'd recommend photoshopping up some mockups which can be touched up and polished later

This isn't a thread to recruit people to help. You're all recruited already, whether you like it or not :tongue2:

EDIT: Damn, not even a full page and the thread needs a cleanup already...
cmsk8ter

Postby cmsk8ter » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:21 pm

I can try to help I'm not the best with graphics but I try.

But I would also like to help on this theme too.

It gets me mad that when we had a good idea for the rockmeter
gh5 had to freakin come out with it. what are the chances!

for the setlist th cds were FOF style to begin with so we should grow of that... maybe.
I was thinking maybe like in iTunes u can choose to browse by album art which would be cool if u asked me
but some how we can have like the artists all tiled out when you browse by artist and you can us the arrows on guitar or keyboard for
quicker and faster movement across the artist. or instead of the cds goin up and down we can have them coming to you and away from you.
i dont know i'm just trying to throw out as much ideas as possible. theres bound to be one good one. right?
Last edited by cmsk8ter on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:27 pm

cmsk8ter wrote:It gets me mad that when we had a good idea for the rockmeter
gh5 had to freakin come out with it. what are the chances!

I'm still all up for using a similar "fuel" meter attached to the side of the fretboard (for starpower equivalent). I mean the idea was there before anyone had seen any GH5 screenshots.
But we'd need something different for the rock meter.

Return to “FoFiX”