[WIP] FoFiX Theme for 4.0.0 - by the community

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 13 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
666shadowlord666

Re: [WIP] FoFiX Theme for 4.0.0 - by the community

Postby 666shadowlord666 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:00 am

Isn't it an catch 22 to say that we don't want to limit shader's because people running on old machine's won't be able to use these, but actually these are also the majority of the people complaining because FoFiX runs terrible for the majority, and we're told we really should update our system's to play it well???

It's like saying "Don't support Crysis for people cause we want to make sure people that have computers the can't run things more then doom 2 can still run it without complaining", I would think there should be a point where if you can't sport a system that's DIRT cheap that can easily support this stuff, it's not for you? I saw a next gen card at Best Buy for $54, supports DX10, shaders almost up to date with current availability, openGL3.1, 2 dvi's output, 1 HDMI.

I would think you guys wouldn't be wanting to support old age coding technics to keep people with super old systems still playable (which it's not anyway already) and focus on better approaches and faster method's of doing things that only need a system or card that is 6-7 years old at least that can still pull this stuff off. Don't mean to speak out of terms, just food for thought, my opinion only.

I sell computer's in the field, and system's are SUPER cheap!! $100 and up even for 3-4 year old equipment, which today is still decent for playing older games even, let alone un-optimized python code.
weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:46 am

666shadowlord666 wrote:I sell computer's in the field, and system's are SUPER cheap!! $100 and up even for 3-4 year old equipment, which today is still decent for playing older games even, let alone un-optimized python code.

yup my pc is 4 years old and it runs fofix pretty good, although i do have a 2 year old graphics card lol
Developer of clone hero, and Former FoFiX developer
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:27 am

No one said we shouldn't use shaders, just not rely on them.
Besides, the other factor is the way shaders are implemented in FoFiX. Sure, in theory they will become more flexible, but it still requires knowledge of how to write shaders. Knowledge that I, for one, do not possess. And I don't know very many people that do.
666shadowlord666

Postby 666shadowlord666 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:25 am

Yeah, you probably have enough cool stuff to use other then shaders for people that can't do it. (NOT!!) haha. kidding, for real though, you probably want to use as much of everything FoFiX can do without going over board, but shader's IS a nice part of it to me, some of them at least. Mostly the SP effect on side rails. Pretty cool. My favorite, since it looks kind of the same.
Uncle Fester
slantyr

Postby slantyr » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:31 pm

i think what death and blazingamer are getting at is this, the default fofix theme (it will be default right?) can't be broken or look incomplete on machines that don't support shaders

they're not saying we can't use them or add effects to the theme, just that the base has to be built of sturdier stuff
666shadowlord666

Postby 666shadowlord666 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:34 pm

Look at it from a reality check though. If your not wanting to use functions that old graphic's cards can't support (pretty old cards, after researching model's of ATI and nVidia online.), those machine's i would think would be also old enough not not be able to play much of FoFiX anyway without getting enough lag and sluggishness. All software has a cut off date from a H/W compatibility stand point.
You wouldn't want to hold back great potential because of a small percentage of people that have system's that barely can play doom would you? I know other companies (i've personally been told this before updating my 9 year old machine that cropped out.) have remarked this actual comment to me "Due to the rapidly growing industry of hardware, based on your posted equipment specs, we recommend you really update your system or at least graphic's card, as we would love to keep you as a customer, but as there is only so much you can do with what you have, We don't want to diminish the good experience of the majority for the small percentage of people with pretty old hard ware."
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:53 am

You still seem to misunderstand. We're all saying we should use shaders, but have graphics there for those who can't use them.
I see what you are saying about not supporting old and outdated hardware, but when graphics are so easy to make then why not?
Also, I've done a lot of troubleshooting for people on this forum, and as such I've looked at a lot of people's log files. And I can tell you a lot of FoFiX users have cards that do not support shaders. There's no need to alienate all those users when making graphics is easy.

In any case the point is moot for now, as right at this point in time we can make graphics, but making shaders is not easy. Their implementation in FoFiX is currently pretty poor.
Uncle Fester
slantyr

Postby slantyr » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:14 pm

Azzco wrote:Yeah fatdogs neck bar is just pure win, even though it's a lot like rockband.
I like the metallic look, but well it's all about personal preferences and it might lean a bit too much to a sterile feel.

I'm a bit clueless on how to imrpove this. :thumbup:

Oh but how do you guys feel about replacing the beat markers (frets) on starpower/overdrive? Make them a bit flamey (literally frets on fire) or just glowing.

this is a great idea, instead of a gold lane flash have a red flash on the frets (and maybe the sidebars). with a couple of flame effects on other elements (i don't like to muddy up the playneck) this would look very impresive
tjb0607

Postby tjb0607 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:30 pm

Here's an idea that could maybe go at the bottom of the fretboard or something:

:2thumbsup:
blazingamer

Postby blazingamer » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:42 pm

666shadowlord666 wrote:Look at it from a reality check though. If your not wanting to use functions that old graphic's cards can't support (pretty old cards, after researching model's of ATI and nVidia online.), those machine's i would think would be also old enough not not be able to play much of FoFiX anyway without getting enough lag and sluggishness. All software has a cut off date from a H/W compatibility stand point.
You wouldn't want to hold back great potential because of a small percentage of people that have system's that barely can play doom would you? I know other companies (i've personally been told this before updating my 9 year old machine that cropped out.) have remarked this actual comment to me "Due to the rapidly growing industry of hardware, based on your posted equipment specs, we recommend you really update your system or at least graphic's card, as we would love to keep you as a customer, but as there is only so much you can do with what you have, We don't want to diminish the good experience of the majority for the small percentage of people with pretty old hard ware."

My machine is a 4 year old Tablet PC that has the hardware of a modern netbook and it does not support higher than OpenGL 1.4. That's the magic of integrated cards by intel in a lot of laptops. While it does not support shaders, I do get a modest 55 fps average during gameplay for up to 15 minutes, after which it starts to get hot because of its poor ventilation system.

Yes, if you have a computer older than 6 years old you should upgrade, but what we want is a theme that while it can be built on shader, we'd like to have FALLBACK options. I'm not saying we should only have images, I'm just saying we should have them there so the theme isn't rendered as completely unusable for a user who normally plays the game at great performance and wants this theme but is just lacking in shader compatibility. I'm not just saying this for the FoFiX main theme, I'm saying this for all themes made in the future.

We are not a commercial game, we are open-source, which means we have a larger potential market than just Vista or 7 users, and as such we try to keep as much of the market as we can by offering support to old but not obsolete machines as well as new machines.
Iherduliekmudkipz
_filipe_

Postby _filipe_ » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:30 pm

tjb0607 wrote:Here's an idea that could maybe go at the bottom of the fretboard or something:

:2thumbsup:

Holly crap I just came all over the place :drool:
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:29 pm

tjb0607 wrote:Here's an idea that could maybe go at the bottom of the fretboard or something:

I like, except I'd flip the red and green personally, but I'm just used to the whole left-to-right thing. Also not sold on the star power bar, and the whole thing could be tweaked to look like it's "clipped" onto the fretboard.

That's my opinion. Would love to see a nice in-game screeny. Looking good. :2thumbsup:
Iherduliekmudkipz
_filipe_

Postby _filipe_ » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:40 pm

Actually most games try to "clip" things onto the fretboard (All RBs and GH5). I think it would be more original to have this kinda hmmm "free" (that would require "free" fretbuttons etc.)

This way things would be like "Hey that's the FoFiX logo. Its so F*cking awesome that it has everything :D"
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:53 pm

_filipe_ wrote:Actually most games try to "clip" things onto the fretboard (All RBs and GH5). I think it would be more original to have this kinda hmmm "free" (that would require "free" fretbuttons etc.)

This way things would be like "Hey that's the FoFiX logo. Its so F*cking awesome that it has everything :D"

Well in line with that thought, I think it would be really kewl to have the fret buttons in the air(not so high that there is a big visibility issue of course) and when you hit something instead of having them pop-up, they should "smash" down onto the note("pressed" fret buttons can just be highlighted or something).

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

aander91:Sorry, but that'd be providing for minors, which is illegal.

T3HM3T4L:But I'm 18 years old... ?

aander91:Nope. Sorry.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:53 am

I like it!
Probably couldn't work with current graphics limitations, but definitely something to experiment with.

...And I was thinking about the whole clipping on to the fretboard later and you're right I guess _filipe_. It's not all that original. Where do you propose to put it though?

Return to “FoFiX”