FoFiX 4.0.0 Development Thread

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 2 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Niezabudka86

Re: FoFiX 4.0.0 Development Thread

Postby Niezabudka86 » Mon May 09, 2016 2:36 pm

Hi, i read this but dont understand. I need to know - is there or isnt a frets on fire version for win 10? English is not my language, so i ask for simple words.
weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Tue May 10, 2016 5:23 am

Niezabudka86 wrote:Hi, i read this but dont understand. I need to know - is there or isnt a frets on fire version for win 10? English is not my language, so i ask for simple words.

I think FoFiX 3.121 should work fine, but I don't test it very often.
Developer of clone hero, and Former FoFiX developer
R.I.P Worldrave
Metallicaholic666

Postby Metallicaholic666 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:02 pm

weirdpeople wrote:
Niezabudka86 wrote:Hi, i read this but dont understand. I need to know - is there or isnt a frets on fire version for win 10? English is not my language, so i ask for simple words.

I've had issues with the newest version of vanilla Frets on Fire and with certain themes in 3.121. I can only use the light themes without a dramatic, constant, frame rate fluctuation.

could be just my computer, but it's some issues worth noting
weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Tue May 10, 2016 4:08 pm

Metallicaholic666 wrote:
weirdpeople wrote:

I've had issues with the newest version of vanilla Frets on Fire and with certain themes in 3.121. I can only use the light themes without a dramatic, constant, frame rate fluctuation.

Well 3.121 Is just pretty slow in general... 4.0 is somewhat better and has so far lost about 20,000 lines of code since 3.121...
edit:
nice sig lol.
weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Tue May 10, 2016 4:11 pm

Also another thing, for those that dont feel comfortable using irc we now have a gitter chatroom located here: https://gitter.im/fofix/fofix
R.I.P Worldrave
Metallicaholic666

Postby Metallicaholic666 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:13 pm

weirdpeople wrote:
Metallicaholic666 wrote:
weirdpeople wrote:I think FoFiX 3.121 should work fine, but I don't test it very often.

Well 3.121 Is just pretty slow in general... 4.0 is somewhat better and has so far lost about 20,000 lines of code since 3.121...

I remember at least getting 50-60 fps at a 720p resolution now im barely getting 20 and its just unplayable. even MFH-OnTime2 fails stuff lol

The first stable release you get out of either fork that you're doing I'm gonna be all over. I do miss the activity and the amount of people wanting to get involved in this stuff.

I'd love to contribute too but I'm not all that sharp with coding, unfortunately.

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Tue May 10, 2016 4:20 pm

Metallicaholic666 wrote:
weirdpeople wrote:
Metallicaholic666 wrote:I've had issues with the newest version of vanilla Frets on Fire and with certain themes in 3.121. I can only use the light themes without a dramatic, constant, frame rate fluctuation.

I remember at least getting 50-60 fps at a 720p resolution now im barely getting 20 and its just unplayable. even MFH-OnTime2 fails stuff lol

The first stable release you get out of either fork that you're doing I'm gonna be all over. I do miss the activity and the amount of people wanting to get involved in this stuff.

I'd love to contribute too but I'm not all that sharp with coding, unfortunately.

Well I've thought about making a release of the uber nuke everything fork as as soon as i can bring certain features back (like controller support lol). Just so people can have something to quickly test songs in a basic capacity, or for those that don't care about scoring or multiplayer and only want performance :P

edit:
Sounds like a cpu single threaded performance issue, what kind of computer do you have nowdays?
Last edited by weirdpeople on Tue May 10, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Tue May 10, 2016 4:25 pm

Most of what i've been working on the last few weeks is mostly unrelated to FoFiX, but i've thought about using it on the project in the past. I've been working on a new OpenGL binding as an alternative to pyOpenGL.
https://github.com/mdsitton/pyogl
Its auto-generated so its fairly simple to keep it up to date with the opengl spec. Eventually i'm going to add features to allow you to only generate a subset of the opengl specification...

The other thing i have been thinking about/trying to work on is figuring out modern batched rendering architectures. Which if i could successfully implement in fofix... the rendering would be like omgwtfbbq fast. Which would allow us to reasonably add 3d stages and backgrounds with very little performance overhead as long as you have a decent GPU that can handle the increase in geometry. All the while probably reducing cpu usage.
weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Tue May 10, 2016 7:03 pm

raynebc wrote:
weirdpeople wrote:Sounds like a cpu single threaded performance issue, what kind of computer do you have nowdays?

FoFiX isn't still a single threaded application is it?

There are some threads in the audio code when stump implemented the MixStream code. Originally the game would try to load stuff in threads but since the original FoF that has become broken over time as far as i know. There is the other issue of the python GIL which only lets one python thread of python code actually run at a single time. Which makes multithreading a python game pretty pointless unless those threads run long running stuff in a c extension module.
Still Alive
wolferacing

Postby wolferacing » Thu May 12, 2016 10:28 pm

I heard this rumor that a certain member might be creating a new FoFiX side-project in order to brush the rust off their coding and graphics skills. If all goes well it seems they will also attempt to help Weirdpeople with the rebirth of FoFiX. :wink:

That same person is also fully grateful of Weirdpeople and all of his progress so far. Good job keeping this alive dude. :2thumbsup:
R.I.P Worldrave
Metallicaholic666

Postby Metallicaholic666 » Thu May 12, 2016 11:10 pm

Gee I'd love to know who it is that's doing this side-project!! Anything to keep the game alive!

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Fri May 13, 2016 2:33 pm

I may or may not have already known of this side project :rolleyes:
Rockslide

Postby Rockslide » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:54 pm

This may or may not be an issue for you when you add controller use back to fofix 4.0.0. when then they created win 10 on for new install, the problem can be fixed on a upgraded windows, but the overdrive/starpower will no longer work with the win 10 driver on installs of fofix 3.121. If you can find a way to make the win 10 driver work for overdrive. It would be awesome. I know you got alot of projects going and I am not really worried about 3.121. I only practice customs there. I let you know for lack of problems maybe for yourself when adding it back for win 10 on 4.0.0. I should clarify the problem. It will build, but it will not activate.
!!!
docer

Postby docer » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:11 am

I'm in I'd like to be here again.

My youtube Channel

contact me

Return to “FoFiX”