FoFiX 4.0.0 Development Thread

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 2 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
zelurker

Re: FoFiX 4.0.0 Development Thread

Postby zelurker » Tue May 22, 2018 4:02 am

@Linkid : well there is not much to say about the setup, a pretty standard pc, as I said fofix 3 is still installed on it and works well (after replacing tostring by tobytes in all the python files for some compatibility issue with PIL apparently). I'll try to take some time to find more details about this and will post either here or to github then...

EDIT : well it was just because it was reading the fofix 3 config file and was trying to load its theme. Since its data directory is different, the theme was not even here to be loaded ! Don't know why the message was not about the missing theme, but it was the problem here.
After that the parser for the song database has become stricter and fails because of some bad lines in some of my song.ini files, the messages are clear though and that's easy to fix, these lines really shouldn't be here. I'll test this in more detail later, thanks !
Last edited by zelurker on Tue May 22, 2018 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
KTR

Postby KTR » Tue May 22, 2018 7:00 pm

I have fofix 1.3.121 I did not find this version to download somewhere that I think is not to see if I download a 1.3.110 made in python does not work on my pc with windows 10 of anything at all I have all the same thing asking you to do the same with the program in my house 3 although it was not as good as my performance, I wanted very much to have a more recent view to take a look and be able to do the code source of the same
KTR

Postby KTR » Thu May 24, 2018 7:18 am

Has the project stopped?
Linkid

Postby Linkid » Fri May 25, 2018 4:06 pm

@KTR: I didn't understand your first question about the version to download. But here are some keys:
- the latest stable release is the version 3.121
- the latest release is the version 4.0.0a2
- the version 4 is still in development, but you can download latest sources
So, no, the project is not dead. It is just hard to release the version 4 for now, but I'm working on it.
Linkid

Postby Linkid » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:34 am

Hi!

It seems that I forgot to post previous monthly reports there. So, here is the one for May : https://fofix.github.io/blog/monthly-re ... t-may-2018. You can also find previous ones on the same blog. I'll try to post there future reports :).

Bye
Linkid

Postby Linkid » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:47 am

Hi!

Arg… I forgot to post monthly report here. Here are the next two ones:
- June / July: https://fofix.github.io/blog/monthly-re ... -2018.html
- August (published today): https://fofix.github.io/blog/monthly-re ... -2018.html.

If you want to contribute, feel free to
- join in the IRC chat room #fofix or in Gitter
- test the master version from GitHub
- report bugs
- make a pull request.

Bye :).
TomFan

Postby TomFan » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:00 pm

I am pretty sure that this is dead. Rest In Peace FoFix.
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:44 pm

TomFan wrote:I am pretty sure that this is dead. Rest In Peace FoFix.

Not entirely, a small amount of work appears to still be taking place:

https://fofix.github.io/blog.html

https://github.com/fofix/fofix
pietchaki

Postby pietchaki » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:10 pm

This exists? yes... can we play? no.
why? I spent 3 hours trying to make the thing INSTALL
I remember when it was an active community that FoFiX wasn't easy to install, but I was able to with minimal knowledge. Now I'm a software engineer and lost 3 hours fixing error after error to try and show this game to some friends, AND STILL CAN'T OPEN IT!
I know it is an old game, made on old python 2.7, and use a lot of old libraries that probably won't play well on newer Windows machines but I thought I could at least laught at some game bugs or whatever...

Rest in peace indeed.
timmytaco

Postby timmytaco » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:47 am

Wow, so after all these years, it really has died... I had to make a new account due to it now letting me log in for some reason, but i remember being out here way back in 2013, and now to see it dead, it males me pretty sad. Rest in peace FoFix
weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:50 pm

timmytaco wrote:Wow, so after all these years, it really has died... I had to make a new account due to it now letting me log in for some reason, but i remember being out here way back in 2013, and now to see it dead, it males me pretty sad. Rest in peace FoFix

Linkid seems to work on the game from time to time so it's not 100% dead, but for me i've moved onto other projects. For the last couple of years I have been the primary developer on another GH/RB style game Clone Hero which is using Unity and C# it is not open source though.

For me the i started exploring other programming languages then got frustrated with the performance limitations that python brings with it, and the general lack of performance improvements of the python runtimes over the years. Which while python itself isn't meant to really be a performance oriented language, for a game performance is very important.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out ways to improve upon the performance of games in python by writing lower level libraries and whatnot but in the end with FoFiX it's not the rendering library or platform abstractions that was the source of the performance issues, it was the majority of the FoFiX codebase; death by a thousand cuts you could say. For example in Clone Hero on unity we get 3000 FPS on a high end pc, an order of magnitude higher performance than what i've ever seen FoFiX get to in python. A lot of the performance issues come down to generally bad architecture and bad decisions over the years. More and more would get added but without properly expanding the underling project structure, major refactoring was needed and thats what FoFiX 4.0 was supposed to be, but the issues ran way too deep for a few developers to fix in any reasonable amount of time. I strongly believe that a ground up rewrite back at the beginning of 4.0's development is what the project actually needed to stay relevant. Regardless i don't regret the time i worked on FoFiX, I certainly learned a lot during my time working on it!

Anyways enough of that i guess, maybe someday someone will prove me wrong about the issues and finally release 4.0, but even if that was the case it has a long ways to catch up to the level of features than Phase Shift or Clone Hero have these days.
Developer of clone hero, and Former FoFiX developer

Return to “FoFiX”