FoFiX rock meter ideas [unlimited]

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 13 years and 8 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
cheezycupcake
Aquarium Fish

Re: FoFiX rock meter ideas [unlimited]

Postby Aquarium Fish » Tue May 26, 2009 2:13 pm

jstump91 wrote:How would XCF not qualify if PSD does?

XCF is The GIMP's native format, and it preserves text, layers, etc.

gimp can also open photoshop files tho!

death_au wrote:
Nickman wrote:
death_au wrote:Does anyone know how to do it / can point me to a good tutorial / plugin?

Looks like a normal radial blur to me.
In PS use Filter / Blur / Radial Blur...

Radial Blur! Shows how noobish I am when I can't recognise something as simple as that. Thanks a lot :thumbup:

...I've been fiddling. And here's something I've come up with. Tell me, is the flame a little over the top?
(click for larger)

By the way, that flame was found here on everystockphoto and is under the CC Attribution 2.5 Licence

I really like that!
http://cheezycupcake.webs.com/
R4L wrote:
ivoelmas wrote:I want a mod that disables the pick. I just want to play whithout the pick
And I want a million dollars.
Blazemann

Postby Blazemann » Tue May 26, 2009 2:51 pm

Azzco wrote:If you want it to be packaged with FoFiX you should probably try to provide source files for the images as well, svg , psd, xcf whatever (actually I'm not sure if xcf qualifies as a source file). That is if you want it to be released under the same license as FoFiX, though a Creative Commons license would do well too. IIRC you don't need to provide the source for work under a CC license, though you might want to check up on that.
http://creativecommons.org/
Cheers

I was going to include a PSD folder in each individual theme folder holding each of that folders PSD files. Also, before I go, how can I expand the veiwable size of a hitflame? Where is it controlled, is it in theme.ini? Here is an example of one that was larger than normal:
kirezar

Postby kirezar » Tue May 26, 2009 4:40 pm

death_au wrote:
Nickman wrote:
death_au wrote:Does anyone know how to do it / can point me to a good tutorial / plugin?

Radial Blur! Shows how noobish I am when I can't recognise something as simple as that. Thanks a lot :thumbup:

...I've been fiddling. And here's something I've come up with. Tell me, is the flame a little over the top?
(click for larger)

By the way, that flame was found here on everystockphoto and is under the CC Attribution 2.5 Licence

Do I see Jimmy Page in there?

Great Ideas keep'em coming
Slash666

Postby Slash666 » Tue May 26, 2009 5:23 pm

death_au wrote:
Nickman wrote:

(click for larger)

I love this one, but there isn't any space for the main text. So I made mine. I'm open to sugestions.

Spoiler:Image

Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Tue May 26, 2009 6:33 pm

kirezar wrote:Do I see Jimmy Page in there?

Damn. I was hoping they wouldn't be recognisable. I guess the double necked guitar does kinda give it away though... As I said, they were made from figurines of famous musicians. For the record they are (from left to right) Kurt Cobain, Joe Ramone, Tommy Lee and of course Jimmy Page.
Also, because I imagine people don't have Paint Shop Pro, rather than uploading the .pspimage, I put up all the band and crowd silhouettes on my photobucket in an album of it's own, for those who wish to play: http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/ ... deas/bits/
Slash, where did you get your silhouettes from?
And, there is plenty of room for the main menu text, if you use Blazemann's idea (this is my own text with his idea as an example)

Although now that I look at it, I could lower the crowd and band a little more.
I also had a different but related idea for the text, but I'm not sure how to explain it in words, so I'll fiddle with it and get back to you guys on that.

As for the fretbuttons, I like the idea of the picks. It goes well with the logo.
And yeah, it's been done before (by Guitar Legend), but Guitar Legend is a crappy mobile phone game, and Azzco came up with the idea by himself. Those 3D fret buttons look awesome. It would be great to perhaps optimise them a bit and see what they look like in game (as 3D fret buttons, not 2D)

EDIT: The menu idea didn't work. I thought maybe the text could change size based on which one was selected (the same as the "rotating" one), but not actually rotate the menu. It's hard to explain, but either way it looked bad.
Blazemann

Postby Blazemann » Tue May 26, 2009 8:43 pm

It took a lot of trial and error to get the menu working like that. I had to come to just play around with Theme.ini to see what worked!
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Tue May 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Blazemann wrote:It took a lot of trial and error to get the menu working like that. I had to come to just play around with Theme.ini to see what worked!

main_menu_vspacing = 0
and when you make the text just leave the left side of the image blank. That's what I did, anyway and the result looks good
Which reminds me, here's the main text image if anyone wants to look.
(click for larger)
looks good with the theme.ini settings:

Code: Select all

menu_x = .45
menu_y = .575
main_menu_scale = .5
main_menu_vspacing = 0

Also remember to put "use_solo_submenu = True" if you try it n a GH theme.
Blazemann

Postby Blazemann » Tue May 26, 2009 9:09 pm

Yes, though without ever trying theme tinkering, all of that was hard to figure out.
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Tue May 26, 2009 9:54 pm

Blazemann wrote:Yes, though without ever trying theme tinkering, all of that was hard to figure out.
True. I thought it was easy, but I realized I'd done all the tinkering before.
#3 Pro Speed Fretter
Razlo7

Postby Razlo7 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:05 pm

death_au wrote:Image

That is AMAZING my man! :thumbup:
That is BY FAR one of the most awesome BGs I've ever seen in my life of playing FOF!!
Starting fresh. (:
The Photoshop Wizard
kristijan_mkd

Postby kristijan_mkd » Wed May 27, 2009 4:10 am

Cool main menu, a little bit messy but i like it! Am i the only one that misses death_au's old avatar? :laugh:
(0) <-- The Eye
angellinus

Postby angellinus » Wed May 27, 2009 4:37 am

Me 2! I dont wanna say this but........THE NEW ONE IS CRAPPY!
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Wed May 27, 2009 5:14 am

Remove the face, text, all the black stuff... basically anything that's not red/orange, turn it upside down, and what do you get?
It's mainly an inside joke, and I'll probably change it back when I get sick of it.
BTW, All artwork on the avatar © Azzco 2009 All Rights Reserved

Back on topic, that main menu does need a little work, and I intend to keep tweaking it. I was actually surprised how good the flame in the background came out for how little effort I put into it. The text also needs resizing (and probably recolouring, too)
Azzco

Postby Azzco » Wed May 27, 2009 7:27 am

death_au wrote:Remove the face, text, all the black stuff... basically anything that's not red/orange, turn it upside down, and what do you get?
It's mainly an inside joke, and I'll probably change it back when I get sick of it.
BTW, All artwork on the avatar © Azzco 2009 All Rights Reserved

Back on topic, that main menu does need a little work, and I intend to keep tweaking it. I was actually surprised how good the flame in the background came out for how little effort I put into it. The text also needs resizing (and probably recolouring, too)

Yarrr!
I'm taking orders for "Oh Hi! guy avatars, they're so ugly that you'll find yourself on the other end of the awesome scale.

Back on topic.
I'd prefer to see a bit more generic silhouettes, otherwise I think that this is the best main menu suggested yet.
I can't say that it looks messy... There's only 5 elements (crowd, artists, background, logo and the actual menu).
(k)Ubuntu 8.10 skyscraper 2.6.27-11-generic i686 GNU/Linux KDE 4.2.0
It's not like I dislike sleeping, I really do like it to be honest. It's the whole wake up/go to sleep business I don't like.
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Wed May 27, 2009 7:39 am

The flame itself is a little messy with the sparks coming off it and all. I think I'd like more generic silhouettes too... Anyone got some realistic looking instruments, a couple of wigs, a white background and a good camera? :tongue:
Slash, where did yours come from?

Return to “FoFiX”