FoFiX v3.1xx development thread

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
Divra

Re: FoFiX v3.1xx development thread

Postby Divra » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:28 pm

This means charts shouldn't accept scores from older versions, right? I think it works, but I can't test it right now...
Charts (Down as of November 25th)
fatdog

Postby fatdog » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:10 pm

noticed on the last couple of alphas, not sure about the release version, if u pause and resume a couple of times the song gets frozen in a paused state, the game is still responcive but the fret board is stuck in place
amich45

Postby amich45 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:17 pm

Uh oh. guitar.ogg doesn't play. Everything else works perfect but I can't hear my guitar.
st34lth

Postby st34lth » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:22 pm

Umm I don't know why but for some reason the delay in my game is messed up. The notes come a bit late. Also no matter what I put for the A/V delay it doesn't do anything. Nothing changes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB6KXq6ZhtA

"I HAVE A GUN IN MY POCKET!!!" "Why do you have a gun in your pocket!!??" "BECAUSE!!! AHHHHH, BOOM BOOM!"

Frets on Fire Achievement list
Super Sprøde
Thomas Mink

Postby Thomas Mink » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:57 pm

Woo! 3.100 finally released! Marvelous work by all those involved!

But, for some reason playing a BRE with bass still crashes the game with a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error. Only happens in RB themes (RB1, RB2, 8Bit NES), as GH themes (GH3.. BioShock also works fine) seem work fine.

Spoiler:(E) Loading error:Traceback (most recent call last):
File "GameEngine.pyo", line 861, in main
File "View.pyo", line 216, in render
File "GuitarScene.pyo", line 5174, in render
File "Scene.pyo", line 288, in render
File "GuitarScene.pyo", line 3852, in render3D
File "Stage.pyo", line 552, in render
File "GuitarScene.pyo", line 3859, in renderGuitar
File "Guitar.pyo", line 3371, in render
File "Guitar.pyo", line 2496, in renderFreestyleFlames
IndexError: list index out of range

(D) 9 phrases taught.
(D) 10 phrases taught.
(N) Connection lost.
(D) View: Push: MessageScreen

Maybe this only happens to me, I dunno.. has been since beta3 I think. ;o
OH MY GOD, A FURRY! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!
qwazi

Postby qwazi » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:39 pm

evilynux wrote:I've just uploaded the GNU/Linux 32bit and 64bit binaries.
- Download 3.100 Full for GNU/Linux 32bit from GoogleCode
- Download 3.100 Full for GNU/Linux 64bit from GoogleCode

As usual they're frozen with python2.4 and pyopengl2.x as I still get much more performance on both of my machines¹.

I've taken the liberty to update the GoogleCode summary page to also include the MacOS X package as well as John's setup installers for Windows.

Thanks and congratulations to every one involved in the 156 changes between 3.030 and 3.100!
156, that's alot of new features + improvements + bug fixes!!

¹ Machines:
- 32bit: Pentium4 2.8GHz, 3GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro NVS 280 SD
- 64bit: AMD64 2800+, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440-SE

You mention that it's "frozen with pyopengl2.x". In Ubuntu, according to synaptic, the only version available is 3.0.0. Will this cause problems (ie, is pyopengl backwards compatible)?
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:48 pm

enderandrew wrote:Also, I have what may be a stupid question. As someone basically new to FoF and FoFiX, are there other mods that I can download that will work in conjunction with FoFiX, and are there any mods that anyone recommends?

There aren't really any mods to change or add to the functionality of FoFiX... any time anyone thinks of something, it goes into the google code list and eventually gets put in as an option anyway :tongue:
But there are plenty of themes if you want to change the look and feel. The FoFiX theme list is stickied (or there's a link in my sig).
I'd recommend (in no particular order): worldrave's GHIII, KID's Rock Band 2, slantyr's Bioshock and nickman's Gears of War themes. There are heaps of good ones though, don't limit yourself to those suggestions.
Azzco

Postby Azzco » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:52 pm

Actually about mods. They're not really used as much as they could be, for example a variation of the rock band theme could be done with a mod, you'd have to have the rockband theme and the mod active and the mod would replace parts of the rock band theme.
For example if you wish to only change the fret buttons you could do a mod "data/mods/RB alt frets/themes/Rock Band/frets.png"
you'd choose the "RB alt frets" to change the fret buttons on the rock band theme.
(k)Ubuntu 8.10 skyscraper 2.6.27-11-generic i686 GNU/Linux KDE 4.2.0
It's not like I dislike sleeping, I really do like it to be honest. It's the whole wake up/go to sleep business I don't like.
linkman08

Postby linkman08 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:04 pm

I have still noticed the repeat scrolling sound along with repeat scrolling without even touching the controller in the menus. The problem started with beta4 and continues with 3.1 final. I mentioned this in the old thread but didnt see a response from it. I am using the wireless PS3 RB guitar.
I AM THE CATFISH MAN
Nathaniel607

Postby Nathaniel607 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:12 pm

Ummm.... this probably sounds like a stupid question... but how do you add necks? I got a pack from Mr.Fausts topic, I assumed you just put them in the necks folder and called them 'Neck_###', but that made the game crash when I went to select player ones neck.
amich45

Postby amich45 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:15 pm

Nathaniel607 wrote:Ummm.... this probably sounds like a stupid question... but how do you add necks? I got a pack from Mr.Fausts topic, I assumed you just put them in the necks folder and called them 'Neck_###', but that made the game crash when I went to select player ones neck.

That is correct of how to add necks. I did same thing with necks from Alarian Mod. Don't know why your game crashed unless there is a defective neck in there.
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:50 pm

Azzco wrote:Actually about mods. They're not really used as much as they could be, for example a variation of the rock band theme could be done with a mod, you'd have to have the rockband theme and the mod active and the mod would replace parts of the rock band theme.
For example if you wish to only change the fret buttons you could do a mod "data/mods/RB alt frets/themes/Rock Band/frets.png"
you'd choose the "RB alt frets" to change the fret buttons on the rock band theme.

I agree. It's just a bit of a pain to do that... especially when it comes to updating. You're sometimes better off just replacing the file in the theme folder. But it's also useful for changing default graphics and sounds... like if you want different 99% and 100% sounds, or a different failneck for themes that don't have one already.
amich45 wrote:
Nathaniel607 wrote:Ummm.... this probably sounds like a stupid question... but how do you add necks? I got a pack from Mr.Fausts topic, I assumed you just put them in the necks folder and called them 'Neck_###', but that made the game crash when I went to select player ones neck.

That is correct, like amich said. I believe some of MrFaust's necks are in an incorrect format...

That is correct of how to add necks. I did same thing with necks from Alarian Mod. Don't know why your game crashed unless there is a defective neck in there.

Yeah, it seems that MrFausts GH1 and GH2 necks have some problems. See my post in his thread.
abloobloo
RedShadow

Postby RedShadow » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:09 pm

Great Man Thanks... But does this men all the other themes wotn work in this new one???
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:24 pm

RedShadow wrote:Great Man Thanks... But does this men all the other themes wotn work in this new one???

They all still work this time :thumbup:
Jack of all Trades
BlackJack

Postby BlackJack » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:34 pm

Nickman wrote:A small feature request/tweak was brought up in the Rock Band 2 theme thread.
Maybe some dev could tweak the default values for rock band themes to match the original POV from Rock band.

Spoiler:Image

Red is how FoFiX does it now and Blue is how it looks in the real RB2.
IINM the POV can be modified in theme.ini using those strings :

Code: Select all

pov_target_x =
pov_target_y =
pov_target_z =
pov_origin_x =
pov_origin_y =
pov_origin_z =

You only have to find the correct values for each, to match RB2's POV.

As always, new stable version = new translation. Here's the French one (I grew a bit tired updating the Pig-Latin one so I'll -- probably -- release it later ; my apologizes go to the many guys from Pig-Latinland out there ^__~).

Image French translation for FoFiX version 3.100.

And congratulations to everyone involved in the making. FoFiX has now more features that I could have ever dreamed of (not to mention the issues list on GoogleCode that gives me a boner each time I look at it), and every bug I could have mentioned has been squashed with extreme prejudice.

Sadly, this also means there will be no more laundry list of bugs from me. ^__~

See, as a result I only have 2 poor suggestions :
  • to move "Fretboard Settings" from "Display Settings" to "Gameplay Settings" (or "Advanced Gameplay Settings"). Personal preference, but IMO it fits better there.
  • if something else than English is chosen as language, a message could pop up stating that one should set "Graphical Submenus" to OFF (if it isn't already the case and if the actual theme makes use of this), lest the sub-menus wouldn't be translated (being graphics instead of regular text strings).
Than != Then. It's != Its. Of != Have. Your != You're. Their != There != They're.

Return to “FoFiX”