FoFiX v3.1xx development thread

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
abloobloo
RedShadow

Re: FoFiX v3.1xx development thread

Postby RedShadow » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:44 pm

death_au wrote:
RedShadow wrote:Great Man Thanks... But does this men all the other themes wotn work in this new one???

They all still work this time :thumbup:

Cool!
Thats a good move in difference with all the past mods :2thumbsup:
Khaoz666

Postby Khaoz666 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:37 pm

The game is freezing when I try to play Pro-Face-Off with Guitar Hero Metallica Theme (Jurgen Enabled).

I don't really care, I just were testing and I found this issue.

Cheers!

Note: Using 3.100 Final, Windows Vista x86.
Jack of all Trades
BlackJack

Postby BlackJack » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:43 pm

I was wondering if the following strings (taken from theme.py) could be made translatable :

Spoiler:

• line 212 :

Code: Select all

Config.define("theme", "result_stats_notes_text", str, "%s Notes Hit")

• line 208 :

Line 208: Config.define("theme", "result_stats_streak_text", str, "Long Streak: %s")

• line 210:

Config.define("theme", "result_stats_accuracy_text", str, "Accuracy: %.1f%%")

• line 206:

Config.define("theme", "result_stats_part_text", str, "Part: %s")

• line 201:

Config.define("theme", "result_song_text", str, "%s Finished!")

At first I thought these hadn't been made translatable because you can modify the strings directly in theme.ini, but then I realized that some other non-translatable strings were correctly translated (yes, you read correctly : non-translatable stuff that yet gets translated :p ).

For example, "Difficulty:", despite this code in theme.py (line 204) :

Config.define("theme", "result_stats_diff_text", str, "Difficulty: %s")

is currently correctly translated, because in GameResultsScene.py (line 1162) you have :

text = _("Difficulty: %s") % (self.scoreDifficulty)
Than != Then. It's != Its. Of != Have. Your != You're. Their != There != They're.
FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Postby jstump91 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:51 pm

BlackJack wrote:I was wondering if the following strings (taken from theme.py) could be made translatable :

Spoiler:

• line 212 :

Config.define("theme", "result_stats_notes_text", str, "%s Notes Hit")

• line 208 :

Line 208: Config.define("theme", "result_stats_streak_text", str, "Long Streak: %s")

• line 210:

Config.define("theme", "result_stats_accuracy_text", str, "Accuracy: %.1f%%")

• line 206:

Config.define("theme", "result_stats_part_text", str, "Part: %s")

• line 201:

Config.define("theme", "result_song_text", str, "%s Finished!")

At first I thought these hadn't been made translatable because you can modify the strings directly in theme.ini, but then I realized that some other non-translatable strings were correctly translated (yes, you read correctly : non-translatable stuff that yet gets translated :p ).

For example, "Difficulty:", despite this code in theme.py (line 204) :

Config.define("theme", "result_stats_diff_text", str, "Difficulty: %s")

is currently correctly translated, because in GameResultsScene.py (line 1162) you have :

text = _("Difficulty: %s") % (self.scoreDifficulty)

I think the code you are referring to is actually setting the default values for when those strings are not set in theme.ini.

That said, they still should be translatable.
jstump91, a.k.a. john.stumpo, a.k.a. stump
jstump.com | stump's blog | FoFiX development | My own code
Can't find a Windows build of the Python module you need? Try my mediafire!
Don't say "Python can't do [insert task here]." Python can do anything with the right modules - said modules may just not have been written yet.
"Python - why settle for snake oil when you can have the whole snake?" --Mark Jackson
Did you search before you posted? Did you read the rules for the subforum you are posting in?
enderandrew

Postby enderandrew » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:07 pm

Nathaniel607 wrote:Ummm.... this probably sounds like a stupid question... but how do you add necks? I got a pack from Mr.Fausts topic, I assumed you just put them in the necks folder and called them 'Neck_###', but that made the game crash when I went to select player ones neck.

I took a neck pack, ran the PNG files through an optimizer, and then threw it in /data/necks and it crashed the game when I tried to select a neck. I then downloaded the neck pack again, and put the files in without running them through an optimizer and they worked just fine. I wonder if some of Mr.Faust's files have been optimized.
Nihilism makes me smile.
(0) <-- The Eye
angellinus

Postby angellinus » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:12 pm

If i can still post bugs:

Argghemmm:

Did somebody say "Hey mfh,you better fix that dang restart song. It looks cr*p after i restarted it. (OR THE GAMEPLAY FREEZES BUT ESCAPE BUTTON IS STILL WORKING)"
enderandrew

Postby enderandrew » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:12 pm

I have another stupid question, but again Search isn't helping and everyone here has been very helpful in answering questions so far. The game is currently compiled with Python 2.4, and I've heard mention of people using the game with Python 2.5. I have Python 2.6 in openSUSE. Python 2.6.1 has been out since December, and Python 2.6.0 no doubt came out before then. I'm curious if anyone has tested compiling the code with Python 2.6.x and if they encountered any issues.

I am also curious if there is any plan to eventually migrate the code to utilize Python 3, which is supposed to be fairly different.
Nihilism makes me smile.
max26199

Postby max26199 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:20 pm

enderandrew wrote:Has anyone tried to compile FoFiX with Python 2.6?

made a quick test, runs fine here
openSUSE 11.1 x86_64, Python2.6
(I had to install pygame 1.9.0pre (instead of 1.8.1stable) though, but thats a general problem with python >=2.5 and x86_64)

about python3: it will take approx. a year before somebody could start to port the code to python3, because the dependency's (numpy, pygame, ...) have to get ported to py3 first.
FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Postby jstump91 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:23 pm

enderandrew wrote:I have another stupid question, but again Search isn't helping and everyone here has been very helpful in answering questions so far. The game is currently compiled with Python 2.4, and I've heard mention of people using the game with Python 2.5. I have Python 2.6 in openSUSE. Python 2.6.1 has been out since December, and Python 2.6.0 no doubt came out before then. I'm curious if anyone has tested compiling the code with Python 2.6.x and if they encountered any issues.

I am also curious if there is any plan to eventually migrate the code to utilize Python 3, which is supposed to be fairly different.

It works fairly well under Python 2.5 under GNU/Linux, and I am working on getting it to run nicely under 2.5 on Windows, which is making decent progress. (I probably should skip directly to 2.6.)

Python 3 has a completely different API for modules as well as some non-trivial backward-incompatible syntax and standard library changes, so it would probably take comparable effort to translating the whole thing into another programming language, especially with the module porting that would be needed.
jstump91, a.k.a. john.stumpo, a.k.a. stump
jstump.com | stump's blog | FoFiX development | My own code
Can't find a Windows build of the Python module you need? Try my mediafire!
Don't say "Python can't do [insert task here]." Python can do anything with the right modules - said modules may just not have been written yet.
"Python - why settle for snake oil when you can have the whole snake?" --Mark Jackson
Did you search before you posted? Did you read the rules for the subforum you are posting in?
WildSioux

Postby WildSioux » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:23 pm

I have installed FoFix 3.1 on my desktop running Sabayon linux. And it lags bad. I found that it ran smooth with the last Beta 4. I mean, in 3.1 it is pretty bad that it makes it impossible to play.

Are there any settings that I could change or turn off that may be causing this?

Specs:
Intel P4, 2.5Ghz
1 gig mem
Nvidia 8400GS 512mb video card

Not the greatest but it was good for Beta 4.

Thanks to the developers for the great work!
linuxmint 7 (Jaunty 9.04), KDE 4.2.3, 32-bit with python2.6 installed running FoFiX-SVN. P4-2.4Ghz, 1gig ram, BFG Nvidia 8400 GS (512mb) - beta driver 185.18.14, 2x X-ploder guitars.
Jack of all Trades
BlackJack

Postby BlackJack » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:34 pm

jstump91 wrote:I think the code you are referring to is actually setting the default values for when those strings are not set in theme.ini.
Makes sense, indeed.

Still on the translation subject, strings such as "Guitar Solo!", "Perfect Solo!", or "Awesome Solo!" from FoFix v3.030 have been changed in v3.100 into "Solo!", "Perfect", and "Awesome" (with "Solo!" automatically added in-game after the adjective ;i.e. e.g.: self.tsPerfectSolo is displayed after self.tsSolo which makes the words "Perfect Solo!" appear in-game).

But, as already mentioned by Alexfighter (IIRC) in a previous thread, for translations such as French, Spanish, and a fistful of others, the adjective should be displayed before the word "Solo" (e.g., in Spanish, a "Perfect Solo!" becomes "¡Un Solo Perfecto!"). Hence why the code in v3.030 had been made like this (and therefore why I suggest reverting back to the v3.030 behavior -- that, or modify the way "soloDesc"s are displayed).
Than != Then. It's != Its. Of != Have. Your != You're. Their != There != They're.
amich45

Postby amich45 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:35 pm

My guitar.ogg won't play. It still works fine on 3.035. And everything else works perfectly in 3.1. Also nothing is in the log to share with you.
evilynux

Postby evilynux » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:51 pm

qwazi wrote:You mention that it's "frozen with pyopengl2.x". In Ubuntu, according to synaptic, the only version available is 3.0.0. Will this cause problems (ie, is pyopengl backwards compatible)?

No. By freezing the code into a binary, it uses the *.so files that are included.
Among which there is pyopengl. So the one you've installed won't be used.

By the way, you don't need to freeze FoFiX into a binary.
You can very well run from the src/ folder e.g. "python2.4 FretsOnFire.py".

About the sound issue someone else has, i couldn't find why i had that problem too when running the 32bit binaries in a 64bit environment but found a workaround. By lowering down audio sampling to 22050 Hz it works.

@WildSioux: If you are running from the binary, i've no idea. If you're running from SVN, try using python2.4 and pyopengl2.x .
...the pain
myfingershurt

Postby myfingershurt » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:00 pm

r1083 fixes FoFiX issue 585 (Bass BRE crash).
Vincent1333

Postby Vincent1333 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:07 am

Very, very nice. Thanks a lot.

Return to “FoFiX”