FoFiX v3.1xx development thread

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
Rock Star
MasterPhW

Re: FoFiX v3.1xx development thread

Postby MasterPhW » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:33 pm

Hmm... I tried to setup the sources with python2.6 but I have problems:
Pitchbend module not found! Forcing Killswitch effect.
when starting a song, than it hangs.
Changing back to normal killswitch mode, works. In python2.4 it works without problems. So I guess, there's still one package missing
and
RtMidiIn::initialize: no MIDI input devices currently available.
when starting via python directly, not via bat.
My Rigs:

Spoiler:Main: Intel Core i7-860 (@3.33Ghz) | 4 GB DDR3-1333 | ATI HD5750 PCI-E | ATI High Definition Audio Device |
4 TB Internal SATA2 + 6TB external USB3 | Windows 7 Business X64 MSDNAA
Old One: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2x2.5Ghz; S939) | MSI KbT Neo2-F V2.0 | 2x1GB Corsair Value VS1GBKIT400 | Radeon HD 3850 512 MB/AGP8x | Creative SB Audigy LS | 2TB (4x500GB SATA2 HDDs Raid0) | Windows 7 Business X64 MSDNAA

*running FoFiX 4.x newest alpha git on python 2.6 build environment, 2 Les Paul PS3 Guitar Hero III Controller & 1 Complete Rockstar Set*
Amiga Rules
Nickman

Postby Nickman » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:48 pm

MasterPhW wrote:Hmm... I tried to setup the sources with python2.6 but I have problems:
Changing back to normal killswitch mode, works. In python2.4 it works without problems. So I guess, there's still one package missing
and

did you install pitchbend for 2.6 ?
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zlinjzzj0 ... -py2.6.exe
Rock Star
MasterPhW

Postby MasterPhW » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:51 pm

Nickman wrote:
MasterPhW wrote:Hmm... I tried to setup the sources with python2.6 but I have problems:
and

did you install pitchbend for 2.6 ?
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zlinjzzj0 ... -py2.6.exe

Ahh... I installed this with an old revision of the wiki stuff, so pitchbend wasn't added... sorry, thanks for the heads up!
My Rigs:

Spoiler:Main: Intel Core i7-860 (@3.33Ghz) | 4 GB DDR3-1333 | ATI HD5750 PCI-E | ATI High Definition Audio Device |
4 TB Internal SATA2 + 6TB external USB3 | Windows 7 Business X64 MSDNAA
Old One: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2x2.5Ghz; S939) | MSI KbT Neo2-F V2.0 | 2x1GB Corsair Value VS1GBKIT400 | Radeon HD 3850 512 MB/AGP8x | Creative SB Audigy LS | 2TB (4x500GB SATA2 HDDs Raid0) | Windows 7 Business X64 MSDNAA

*running FoFiX 4.x newest alpha git on python 2.6 build environment, 2 Les Paul PS3 Guitar Hero III Controller & 1 Complete Rockstar Set*
alpha tester
hannon

Postby hannon » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:22 pm

i played with the Rockband 2 theme and noted the SP fill sorta shadow fills outside of the "frame" if you will call it that, i dunno if its been reported but i noticed it..

PS it would be cool if the hopo system from alarian was put in with the newest version, i see it works quite well.....
Last edited by hannon on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buy Rock Band Gear You'll Thank Yourself in the end
Cheaper to buy it in pieces
Drums 50 buxs
Mic 25
Guitar came with GH3
Endless hours of fun Priceless

Postby Zell Dinch » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:24 pm

I'm using Full 3.1 version. When I opened the exe file, it's lagging like hell. My system: P4 3.0Ghz , 3GB Ram , SoundBlaster 5.1 , Geforce 6200!
Power Quest's #1 Fan
omfgdrphl

Postby omfgdrphl » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:27 pm

I noticed something. While I was playing FoF, I was being annoyed on aim so I had to keep pausing and resuming the song I was playing. So after maybe 4 or 5 resumes, the board froze, and no notes came when the song started. :sad:
A restart of the song fixed the problem, but still, it's an issue.
Watch the demoscene
fenolftalein

Postby fenolftalein » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:24 am

I've tried Python 2.6, but it's very laggy. Active python version (described in wiki) has some minor bugs, such as double song loading, very slow browsing collection (when folder contains 50+ songs, AP version "browse" it more that 30 seconds), "no countdown bug" (song start immediately after loading screen), building binaries doesn't work.

So I installed packages like this:
1) Python 2.4.4 - 2.4.6
2) PyOpenGL 3.0.0c1 (2.0.2.01 = +5% FPS, but sometimes screen freezes for a second. Evil, evil lag, when you try to FC song)
3) PyGame 1.8.1 (PyGame 1.7.1 = -10% FPS, + Numeric required)
4) Py2exe 0.6.9
5) PyWin32 build 213
6) Numpy 1.2.1

Next modules are the same:
7) PIL 1.1.6
8) Psyco 1.5.2
9) PyOgg 1.3
10) PyVorbis 1.4
11) GLEWpy 0.7.4
12) Numeric 24.2

Required DLLs:
13) GLEW 1.5.1 - copy glew32.dll from bin folder to %WINDIR%/system32 (you may use 1.4, it doesn't matter)

14) JS's PitchBend module 0.2
15) RtMIDI 0.1
16) PySQLite 2.5.1 (working much faster with this version!)

17)
1) Go to your Python directory and go into the Lib and then site-packages directory
2) Go into the OpenGL directory and edit the file called __init__.py
3) Replace the line that reads:
__version__ = string.strip(open(filename).read()) with __version__ = '2.0.2.01'
4) Save this file
5) Delete __init__.pyc and __init__.pyo in the same directory

18) If you get a strange PyGame message about abnormal process termination, then install PyGame 1.8.1, then install Numeric, compile FoFiX and install PyGame 1.9.0pre again. It's weird, but it should fix the problem.

19) ???

20) Enjoy! I'll edit this message if i find better way to improve FoFiX perfomance.

PS. +40% FPS compared with normal ActivePython 2.4.3 installation. RB2 graphic menu is loading two times faster!
Last edited by fenolftalein on Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
space warrior
akedrou

Postby akedrou » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:49 am

I wasn't aware the 2.6 deal was still a "is this working" sort of thing, as it's running great for me. So I figured I would let you know about its great-running-ness.

Now on the topic of development. (!) Over at FoFiX issue 394, I'm working on character select support, so here I have a question for you all (at the issue, or here). I'm of a mind to do the player thing through sqlite, as it's there and I have a personal loathing of INI files. However, this would have the side effect of limiting player portability. Thoughts on this? I suppose the options are
1) Database all the way. INI sucks and people who have friends do too.
2) INI files, because you want to spite me, have hordes of friends at whose houses you play FoFiX, or are informing me of some serious issues I have not considered.

And yes, this is aimed at those of you who know what's up with this sort of thing.
FoFiX dev | Troublemaker | Malcontent
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:53 am

fenolftalein wrote:I've tried Python 2.6, but it's very laggy. Active python version (described in wiki) has some minor bugs, such as double song loading, very slow browsing collection (when folder contains 50+ songs, AP version "browse" it more that 30 seconds), "no countdown bug" (song start immediately after loading screen), building binaries doesn't work

What version are you using? Double song loading has been fixed for a while. Song browsing always took a while, especially if it has to cache the folder (loads much quicker from cache). Never seen the no countdown bug. Fair enough, building binaries is broken for most people's set ups atm.
fenolftalein wrote:PS. +40% FPS compared with normal ActivePython 2.3 installation. RB2 graphic menu is loading two times faster!
ActivePython 2.3? When have we ever used that? (Was that just a typo?)

---- EDIT ----

akedrou wrote:Now on the topic of development. (!) Over at FoFiX issue 394, I'm working on character select support, so here I have a question for you all (at the issue, or here). I'm of a mind to do the player thing through sqlite, as it's there and I have a personal loathing of INI files. However, this would have the side effect of limiting player portability. Thoughts on this? I suppose the options are
2) INI files, because you want to spite me, have hordes of friends at whose houses you play FoFiX, or are informing me of some serious issues I have not considered.

And yes, this is aimed at those of you who know what's up with this sort of thing.

I vote INI, because I want to spite you :tongue:
Well, not really, but I do have hordes - Nope, can't complete that sentence without bursting into laughter.
I would prefer INIs because you can see the data that's in them and change it if necessary. If it becomes corrupt for whatever reason, you can fix it. If a database becomes corrupt, you basically lose your profile.
That's my opinion. As a side note, sql would probably be a lot faster.

---- EDIT ----

I just read through FoFiX issue 394 and I would like to see option 2 or 3 on that, I think
For those of you who cbf reading the issue, the options are:
1) Database.
2) Database with an import/export feature for INIs.
3) Database, writing to INIs on exit/change/etc.
4) INI files.
Watch the demoscene
fenolftalein

Postby fenolftalein » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:02 am

1) Scores in song.ini sucks.
2) <username>.ini will be stored in "FoFiX\profiles\" or in every song folder?

Death_au:
What version are you using?

Latest SVN revision. I'm still getting this bug sometimes, especially when I start a new song. When loading screen disappears, one or two second of song are already passed. So I need to restart a song.
Song browsing always took a while, especially if it has to cache the folder (loads much quicker from cache).

PH4 (105 songs) caching takes over one minute on AP 2.4.3. Now it takes nearly 8 seconds. Caching, not loading from cache.
ActivePython 2.3? When have we ever used that? (Was that just a typo?)

Yes, it's a typo. AP 2.4.3.

Python 2.6 version acts very strange. Sometimes i have 30 FPS, sometimes 10 (was 70-80 on py24).
Uncle Fester
slantyr

Postby slantyr » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:27 am

death_au wrote:
I just read through FoFiX issue 394 and I would like to see option 2 or 3 on that, I think
For those of you who cbf reading the issue, the options are:
1) Database.
2) Database with an import/export feature for INIs.
3) Database, writing to INIs on exit/change/etc.
4) INI files.

i vote for option 2 :)
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:51 am

fenolftalein wrote:1) Scores in song.ini sucks.

Seconded!
fenolftalein wrote:Python 2.6 version acts very strange. Sometimes i have 30 FPS, sometimes 10 (was 70-80 on py24).
How accurate is the in-game FPS counter? It's only reporting 20 FPS on mine atm, but it seems a lot smoother than that to me... I shall install fraps tomorrow and have myself a look-see.
Expert
Shiduba

Postby Shiduba » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:16 am

Thank you everyone, FoFiX 3.1 is seriously one of the best PC games i've ever played. The only thing that annoys me, is that when in RB2e theme, The Overdrive fretboard is very shiny and I can't see the notes very clearly. Otherwise, I love it! Many of the strumming glitches have gone away.
haha anime yes
Watch the demoscene
fenolftalein

Postby fenolftalein » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:26 am

Maybe, we need an option to adjust neck and overdriveneck transparency?
fasteddy

Postby fasteddy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:37 am

In order to speed up FoFix, I use a smaller resolution than my normal desktop. However, when I exit FoFix, it doesn't reset to my previous resolution. Is there a way to force FoFix to a default resolution upon exit?

Return to “FoFiX”