Guitar Hero III Theme -=[For FoFiX]=-

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 3 years and 6 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
KidNinjaX

Postby KidNinjaX » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:00 pm

worldrave wrote:what resolution do you play at?

my resolution is 640x800 i think
[url=http://www.fretsonfire.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26103]My Ninja Mod 50% done
[/url] Help out with the mod if u can =)
The Wiitard
rednano12

Postby rednano12 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:11 pm

I have the same problem as Ninja but I thought you knew...
Oct. 30th is Cama appreciation day!

Check out my first song: Snow (Hey Oh)
Jack of all Trades
BlackJack

Postby BlackJack » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:58 am

worldrave wrote:You mean with MFH last release? I just checked both downloads and they are the correct file.

MFH released a silent update, then, as his patch v2.995 didn't include the latest SPLight.png when I downloaded it...

Versiontag i am needing to get with MFH on about something, since I want to have a better method of doing this since it's also including my hotfix number, and might cause problems if someone is using my latest, but not the latest MFH version, even though it will show the proper number under options at the top. How would everyone like it to be displayed for the versiontag image? Should i just not make them again or what idea's would you have of what it should say that would fit with things?

An idea I had about this, would be to add support for an extra themevtag.png which, if present within a theme's folder, would display something like "theme v.x.xx"; in-game, it would appear on the main menu, below the current versiontag.png from MFH-Alarian.
Of course, this would require code modification in MFH-Alarian.
Last edited by BlackJack on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Than != Then. It's != Its. Of != Have. Your != You're. Their != There != They're.
evil-doer

Postby evil-doer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:41 am

nice work on the latest theme fixes worldrave. the only problem i saw was the loading screen. its still got the jaggies. it looks like its been resized bigger using nearest neighbor. heres some detail comparison pics.

original@300%:
yours@200%:

edit:
heres a fixed one. i used exactly the same orientation as yours, its cut out at 16:10 out of the original, then stretched heightwise only to a 4:3 ratio so the pixels are only stretched in one direction only, and its using bicubic. then your same text is applied. its a smaller file but its way sharper.

edit2:
for completeness sake, heres the same detail zoom of the loading screen i just made.

edit3:
ok i also noticed the mainbg also suffered from the same jaggies so i made this with the same treatment. exact crop from the original, stretched in only one direction (height), with bicubic. and your original buttons added. this is again smaller and unquestionably sharper.

sample of yours/mine:
Last edited by evil-doer on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vincent1333

Postby Vincent1333 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:48 pm

Looking really nice, I am trying, thanks.
worldrave

Postby worldrave » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:24 pm

thanks evil-doer. i didnt do any scaling at all on those images though, other then cropping some of the sides to fit a 4x3, but didnt scale or do any image adjustments, so i dont know why there would be a difference. i will redo it just to make sure since its been a bit of time. maybe i did back then and just forgot. :) i have been redoing a lot of graphics that originally had to be scaled a little because fof either had a set size image that had to be used, or the image wasnt autoscaled yet. then, as more code gets done in time, i then go back and redo or touch them up.
evil-doer

Postby evil-doer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:21 pm

dunno why you just wont take these ones. but ok, let me be clear on the best way to do the least amount of damage to the pixels.
youve got your original graphic thats too long, so you crop its length to a widescreen size, lets just say 820x512. and now because that needs to be resized to 4:3 for fof, and you want to keep the pixels unharmed in one direction, you take the larger number and divide that by 1.3333.. that gives you the 4:3 ratio. so now you change the image size to 820x615, and use bicubic resampling. so now its only stretched heightwise to your proper ratio.
sorry if you know all of this. again im a perfectionist and i guess have a bit of ocd for stuff like this. you should never resize in more than one direction, if at all.
worldrave

Postby worldrave » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:50 pm

i dont mind using your images, i just meant i was going to redo them to see if it WAS one that maybe i did size a little. with the scaling stuff, i understand all that, but when i make images, i dont resize, i just crop the proper extra width dimensions to fit 4x3, this way no pixel distortion is taking place, thats why i say i have alot of pixel-perfect images, because i am using the images exactly ripped. some still arent until some coding lets me use them, which is why i even did the lights code myself just to get that working. but i am taking what you said about scaling tips in mind. I always enjoy learning tips whenever possible. I am also a perfectionist obviously, you couldnt imagine how many hours i have wasted for even little things like positioning, using gh3 snapshots as a layer with 50% transparency just to make sure alignment is perfect within a pixel or 2.
evil-doer

Postby evil-doer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:00 pm

weird. what game did you rip your stuff from? because those two, and other of your images are stretched compared to the originals. they are widescreen size, but squished down to 4:3.
worldrave

Postby worldrave » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:47 pm

No, tht's what i am saying is that it might have been an older image i did, where i haven't gone back and redone that one yet since autoscaling was done for that section. Time goes by faster then ya think, and i might have gotten confused. I just go back at my leisure to fix stuff as a progress. I'm not in a rush.

Ok, just got home. I just checked out the loading screen background source I used to make my screen from, and notice why it looks that way. Here is a crop, same area, from the actual picture i used to make mine, notice it is the same way, this image was actually in my ripped directory. Haven't looked at the mainmenu screen image yet.

Last edited by worldrave on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
worldrave

Postby worldrave » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:44 am

Ok, just messed around with the main screen with what you were talking about. Yeah, i see what you mean now. That's cool. Ok, so i will do that with the other background screens. I guess the only thing is, with my testing with just cropping the image directly to 4x3, thus no image scaling at all, and it still doesn't look as good as your copy, because FoF is still auto-scaling for 16x9 resolutions in width (noticed after comparing both 16x9 and 4x3 screenshots), which is something i totally wasn't accounting for. Sounds kind of funny i would not think of something like that, considering FoF sort of resizes also. Since I only use 16x9 modes. Cool that you pointed that out to my attention. Thanks again buddy. That will help me redo the rest of the auto-scaling backgrounds and have them look better. I wondered why the images still didn't quite look good enough. I appreciate that info :)

I am gonna try to start sleeping again. I miss that. And i will be more careful with this in the future, and thanks again for helping me open up my vision a little wider (excuse the phun :))

Edit- Alright Evil-Doer, just redid the main screen with the made buttons included, positioned properly (didn't even have to change the dimensions, only the position, NICE :)) just for practice with using this method. Take a look at it and see what you think now.

Edit2- I just noticed your image is actually 854x640, where as using original image artwork is 1024x512. Which after using your instructions, multiplying 512*1.25=820 (actually 819.20 to be exact) and cropping using that number (820x512), then applying the other calculation, 820/1.333=615 (, and then using that as the new height positions, that would equal 820x615. What other adjustments did you do to get 854x640?? I just don't want to miss out of anything is the only reason i am asking.
Last edited by worldrave on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
evil-doer

Postby evil-doer » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:20 am

for the mainbg i used your picture as a base. because it was a squished image i overlayed it on the original, then stretched it out until the pixels matched underneath, then cut there. which i guess was 854 pixels long.

the proper way to do it i suppose would be to just take the select tool and set it for a wide screen fixed ratio of 16:10 or something then it makes a selection thats 819x512. then take 819/1.333 and you get 614, so the proper size is really 819x614 if you want everything perfect. i was just using your original picture so everything matched up as close to the same as i could. btw the pixels in that image look perfect to me :p

on another note, have you looked at this stuff? *drooooool*
http://www.adobe.com/product....=topnew
Last edited by evil-doer on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
worldrave

Postby worldrave » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:48 pm

Wow, that's beautiful. I got the Beta of CS4 as a beta tester, and still haven't even had time to check it out, crazy huh? :) That's the 1st time i have seen any of the new feature's with that link you left. I can't wait!!! $199 for the update is a nice price and well worth it. Love it!!
gamexprt1

Postby gamexprt1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:49 pm

worldrave wrote:Wow, that's beautiful. I got the Beta of CS4 as a beta tester, and still haven't even had time to check it out, crazy huh? :) That's the 1st time i have seen any of the new feature's with that link you left. I can't wait!!! $199 for the update is a nice price and well worth it. Love it!!

I **** my pants when I saw this resizing video.

Graphic Request Thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24983
The Wiitard
rednano12

Postby rednano12 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:08 pm

**** I need that.
Oct. 30th is Cama appreciation day!

Check out my first song: Snow (Hey Oh)

Return to “FoFiX”