Updating Graphics Drivers - how-to

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules
This topic is 14 years and 8 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Now Mudkip Flavour!
BSRaven

Postby BSRaven » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:43 am

Something I'd like pointed out:

Any nVidia GeForce cards prior to 5000-series models will run FOF 1.1.324 or 1.2.451 with Ultimate Coffee/Alarian Mod sort of smoothly, but stock 1.2.451 will cause lag problems.
SwordFox

Postby SwordFox » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:51 pm

Mike: I've got one of those chipsets (Intel 82845G) on my primary tower. It's a bit slow, but I can still get it to run sort of smoothly (though it will lag around heavy note sections) by increasing it's CPU priority. That's only a temporary fix on this computer though.

nobby76 wrote:How exactly did you try looking for this?? Ive just done a google search and it came back with loads of places to download these drivers.

This is what i put into google " Trident CyberBlade XP Ai1 " As i said it came back with loads of places to download these from.. How come i managed to find these so easily, yet you couldnt them find anywhere?? Please do tell me what you searched for when you couldnt find them..

Heres the link to my search results. Google search results Any of the first 3 or 4 results should be enough to get what you need.

I found out through some general nosing around that official support for Trident Cyberblade XP cards stopped back in 2003 when Trident gave it's graphics division to a company called XGI which also has no support. Drivers I've found through the top three google results were dated around 2002 or were uploaded to driver sites in 2003.

Maybe there's still some drivers for these cards out there that are actually more recent than that? I've been checking on and off and still get drivers in the top three google results whose dates are around 2002. I already doublechecked with the manufacturer (Hewlett Packard in this case: Pavilion N5430) and the latest version of the video driver they have is also from 2002. If anyone knows of a driver for this card that is more recent than 2003/2003, please tell me. Else I'll be getting a new laptop in early or mid July, which brings to mind the horrors of having to deal with Vista. @_@ Unless I go eBay.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:39 pm

There are no horrors with vista. i never had any problems running it at all. Not with running games or with running other Apps.
And if you really hated vista that much, whats to stop your formatting the Hdd and putting windows XP on there yourself. Its not like you have to go to ebay to buy a XP computer. you can get any computer and just put XP on it!
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
Glock9 DC

Postby Glock9 DC » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:47 pm

So if I have Intel 82845G, I'm screwed unless I want to buy a graphics card?
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:26 pm

if its in the list of cards that dont work YES of course your screwed! Most onboard graphics cards are not designed for playing games.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
SwordFox

Postby SwordFox » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:54 pm

nobby76 wrote:if its in the list of cards that dont work YES of course your screwed! Most onboard graphics cards are not designed for playing games.

In his case he's not too screwed. This computer I use almost all year long itself has the exact same graphics chip and I can run FoF with just a little lag. I only scaled down every option I could, used the Noob keys and notes, the "Lite graphics" mod that came default, and set the CPU priority level in the performance options to level three (High). It's a little slow, but smooth at least.

Of course it helped that I was using the RF Mod with build 425, but anyway...
Last edited by SwordFox on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fuzion

Postby fuzion » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:59 pm

nobby76 wrote:Most onboard graphics cards are not designed for playing games.

these days most intel/amd onboard gfx sets are designed for light gaming

ATI Radeon HD 3xxx and Intel GMA X3xxx series for instance
ggg

Postby ggg » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:17 am

how do I make my FOF go faster !!!Itgoesas slow as a slow internet connection. Email me at [email protected] CAPITALS COUNT!!!
Mass Effect FTW :)
BlackFate

Postby BlackFate » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:31 am

ggg wrote:how do I make my FOF go faster !!!Itgoesas slow as a slow internet connection. Email me at [email protected] CAPITALS COUNT!!!

I doubt anyones going to spend time e-mailing you, if you read this, here is what you should do-

Move your songs folder out if you don't want to delete them before you do this.

Delete your current fof,
Delete your fretsonfire.ini, and the fretsonfire text document (Start > Run > %appdata%/fretsonfire/)
Download this (full playable release of 1.2.451 with RF-Mod)- https://www.fretsonfire.org/cgi-bin....id97231
If you dragged your songs folder out, drag it into this,

Update your graphics drivers, and make sure your desktop color quality is set to 32bit (Desktop > Right Click > Properties > Settings > Color Quality).

If you dont know what graphics card you have, then either go to your Desktop > Right Click > Properties > Settings and it will tell you in 'Display' next to the monitor, or you can go to Start > Run, and type in: dxdiag, and then click on the 'Display' tab at the top.
It is most likely that you will have an NVIDIA, ATI or INTEL graphics card.

After doing all this, it should run well :D , hope it helps.

Mike.
Songs Finished: 82,
Metallica - Papa Roach - Disturbed - Bloodhound Gang
ohio4987

Postby ohio4987 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:24 pm

I updated my graphics card recently, but I'm not sure if the old one was uninstalled. How can I tell if it's still there?
BlackFate

Postby BlackFate » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:40 pm

ohio4987 wrote:I updated my graphics card recently, but I'm not sure if the old one was uninstalled. How can I tell if it's still there?

Have you had a look in Program Files?

Mike.
jeffhardy

Re: Updating Graphics Drivers - how-to

Postby jeffhardy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:44 pm

hey this has probably been asked.
but i'm an idiot and am really confused.

how do i find out what graphics card i have in vista?
BlackFate

Postby BlackFate » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:40 pm

jeffhardy wrote:how do i find out what graphics card i have in vista?

Open the "run" dialog (quickest by holding down the windows key and pressing "R").
Type "dxdiag" and press enter.
Click "OK" to allow windows to check your drivers are signed (you don't have to if you don't want to).
Choose the "Display" tab at the top.
Next to "Name:" you'll find the name of your graphics card.

Mike.
isaac_wongkz

Postby isaac_wongkz » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:34 am

My driver is the latest version but it still does not work.
Please help me
BlackFate

Postby BlackFate » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:00 am

isaac_wongkz wrote:My driver is the latest version but it still does not work.
Please help me

1. Computer specifications?
(either list them, or Go to Start > Run and type in dxdiag, and then please post a picture of the System tab and the Display tab, you can do this by pushing print screen on your keyboard, then open paint, paste the picture, save it, open up Imageshack, browse for the file, once it's uploaded, scroll to the bottom of the page and copy the 'Direct Link', then come here, make your post, click the 'Image' button, which is just above the post, paste the direct link there, and post the message.)
2. Fof version?
(If you don't know what version you have, where did you download it from? or if you can get in-game look in the credits)
3. Desktop color quality set to 32bit?
(Desktop > Right Click > Properties > Settings > Color Quality)
4. Any firewall, anti virus software?
5. Anything in your log file?
Either- (Start > Run > %appdata%/fretsonfire/fretsonfire.log)
Or look in your main fretsonfire folder

If you're using fretsonfire version 1.2.512 or 1.3.110, (latest versions which are full of bugs), I would recommend that you-

(If you have a load of songs already and dont want to delete them, then move them out of the folder before you do this.)

Delete your current fof,
Delete your fretsonfire.ini, and the fretsonfire text document (Start > Run > %appdata%/fretsonfire/)
Either download this (full playable release of 1.2.451 with RF-Mod)- viewtopic.php?p=87518#p87518
Or if you want it closer to rockband or guitarhero, get this instead (full playable release of 1.2.451 with FoFiX mod)- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34231&p=358245#p358245
(you may need to create a songs folder in your data folder to put in the songs)

Mike.

Return to “Tech Support”