No drum input through midi adapter

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules
This topic is 2 years and 6 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Slade1324

No drum input through midi adapter

Postby Slade1324 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:36 am

I'm trying to use my new laptop to play Phase Shift, but I can't get any input through my Rock Band midi adapter. When I start the game, the buttons on the adapter itself work fine, but hitting the drum pads does nothing, despite the adapter lighting up for every hit. I've tried using midi_data, but it seems to think there are no midi devices connected, and in game there is no option to link a midi device, and unlinking does nothing. I've tried un/reinstalling the adapter from my computer, restarting my pc, making a new controller profile, remapping buttons, using x360ce, all with no success. I know the adapter itself still works fine, but I'm not sure why I can't get any input from my drums. Any help is seriously appreciated!
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Re: No drum input through midi adapter

Postby nobby76 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:57 am

Is this a GH/RB drum kit or a real elec kit? If a real electric kit, which one?
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
Slade1324

Postby Slade1324 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:56 am

Real drum kit, Roland TD 20. I'm 100% sure the kit and adapter both work, as I used them on my previous laptop with no problems. The adapter is also for PlayStation, although I'm not sure if that makes any difference
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:52 am

Slade1324 wrote:Real drum kit, Roland TD 20. I'm 100% sure the kit and adapter both work, as I used them on my previous laptop with no problems. The adapter is also for PlayStation, although I'm not sure if that makes any difference

You may well have to adjust what notes your drum pads play.. Usually a kit wil loutput (for example) the snare on, say... C3, the kick on A3 and a crash on D5 ) which complies with the standard midi layout for all apps and most midi devices.
If your kit outputs the snare on D3 instead of C3, then it may not get recognised as a legit drum note, just some random midi pulse. On my old elec kit i had Alesis DM5 pro, i had to adjust all pads down by 2 notes.

Also, may not make any difference, but as standard midi drums are only played on Channel 10 of a midi track. All other tracks are standard notes and octaves, but channel 10 is specifically for drums.

You shouldnt need any specific adaptor to hook your drums to a computer. You have a midi out port, so just buy a standard Midi to USB cable. Dont get the cheap $5 ones from ebay, they dont work. But a $15-$20 one will work perfect
This is what i used on my DM5pro kit, to pump midi data into my pc and in turn my DAW app.. Worked like a charm, no fake (ghost) signals, no miss fires, nothing.
Last edited by nobby76 on Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
Slade1324

Postby Slade1324 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:50 am

nobby76 wrote:
Slade1324 wrote:Real drum kit, Roland TD 20. I'm 100% sure the kit and adapter both work, as I used them on my previous laptop with no problems. The adapter is also for PlayStation, although I'm not sure if that makes any difference

You may well have to adjust what notes your drum pads play.. Usually a kit wil loutput (for example) the snare on, say... C3, the kick on A3 and a crash on D5 ) which complies with the standard midi layout for all apps and most midi devices.
If your kit outputs the snare on D3 instead of C3, then it may not get recognised as a legit drum note, just some random midi pulse. On my old elec kit i had Alesis DM5 pro, i had to adjust all pads down by 2 notes.

Also, may not make any difference, but as standard midi drums are only played on Channel 10 of a midi track. All other tracks are standard notes and octaves, but channel 10 is specifically for drums.

You shouldnt need any specific adaptor to hook your drums to a computer. You have a midi out port, so just buy a standard Midi to USB cable. Dont get the cheap $5 ones from ebay, they dont work. But a $15-$20 one will work perfect
This is what i used on my DM5pro kit, to pump midi data into my pc and in turn my DAW app.. Worked like a charm, no fake (ghost) signals, no miss fires, nothing.

I really appreciate the reply, although I highly doubt that any of these are the issue. I changed the midi notes for my kit when I first got Phase Shift on my last laptop, and it worked perfectly, and the notes haven't been changed since. As for the cable, I have a midi cable from amazon that cost around $15, which is running through my RB3 midi adapter (which still works fine) into my laptop, which for whatever reason isn't registering any inputs from the kit itself. If you have any other ideas I'm all ears!
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:04 pm

My idea was not to go through the RB3 midi adaptor at all.. You shouldnt need to. :huh:
If you have a midi to usb cable already, then that has a midi adaptor of its own built in.
You should only need the RB midi box for console connecting (yes i know it works with pc too) But if you already got the cable to do it, you might as well eliminate one piece of the hardware in the chain.
With the cable above (and should apply to most midi2usb cables). I literally just plugged the midi plug end into the midi port on the drums, then the usb plug end into the pc. Kicked up Fruity loops, then reaper, then ableton and once id told the programs to read from a midi device all of then instantly registered the midi notes. It shouldnt be THAT much different within Phaseshift.

Although i no longer use this method now, i have a slightly more advanced setup these days :love:
Last edited by nobby76 on Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tech Support”