Bass Guitar?

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules
This topic is 6 years and 4 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
mus

Bass Guitar?

Postby mus » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:16 pm

Is there any way to play bass guitar in FoF?
Last edited by mus on Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mus

Re: Bass Guitar?

Postby mus » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:24 pm

raynebc wrote:You can as long as you select a chart that has that part authored.

How would I go about that? I downloaded "Walk This Way" by Aerosmith from Salevan's post and noticed it contained "rhythm.ogg", but I've no idea how to use it.
Last edited by mus on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:01 pm

mus wrote:
raynebc wrote:You can as long as you select a chart that has that part authored.

How would I go about that? I downloaded "Walk This Way" by Aerosmith from Salevan's post and noticed it contained "rhythm.ogg", but I've no idea how to use it.

Having the audio is not the same as having the notes to play along to.. you may find that the audio came from another music game, which had at least partly multitrack songs. But it still needs the notes to be added to the song to be able to play along to it.. The notes actually control quite a bit, for starters it controls what instruments you can play, also what difficulty you can play.. Then when you start getting into the realms of things like rockband, the notes also then control the animations for the characters.. But yeah you need the notes to be present rather than the audio file.. to be able to play other instruments.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
mus

Postby mus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:08 pm

nobby76 wrote:
mus wrote:

Having the audio is not the same as having the notes to play along to.. you may find that the audio came from another music game, which had at least partly multitrack songs. But it still needs the notes to be added to the song to be able to play along to it.. The notes actually control quite a bit, for starters it controls what instruments you can play, also what difficulty you can play.. Then when you start getting into the realms of things like rockband, the notes also then control the animations for the characters.. But yeah you need the notes to be present rather than the audio file.. to be able to play other instruments.

It was foolish of me to reference "rhythm.ogg" as if it were relevant. I made the assumption that since the file was present then it must be charted. If I'm correct, FoF parses a MIDI file (notes.mid) which in turn renders the notes on screen. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I've very little knowledge of editing MIDI, but I downloaded EOF hoping it would ease my way, but it relies on Allegro and I cannot seem to install it on my machine. Any help would be appreciated. I'm currently using LM (Linux Mint) 18.1.
mus

Postby mus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:28 am

EOF is installed.

Solution:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get install liballegro4.2-dev
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:44 pm

Ahh don't sweat it, you saw an audio track that said bass and thought that meant there must be a bass track to play, easy assumption to make if you don't know how the songs work fully.

Yes you are correct in thinking the notes in the midi file (notes.mid) are the visual record of where each note is. It also tells certain games (not original FoF ) where things like starpower are and in the case of rockband/guitarhero (and maybe phase shift) it also has the actual lyrics along with the pitch it should be sang at for the vocal section. midi notes also control the characters animations and the stage lighting while the songs are playing in GH/RB.

The main parts you will be interested in, is which instrument you want to chart for (which denotes what the channel name should be for that midi track) and the actual note placement.. 5 notes in 4 difficulties. each difficulty is a different octave, but if you are using EOF then you wont have to worry about that i dont think. You will just be able to choose what instrument and difficulty you want to chart for then start doing the notes.. although it can all be done in any music program that can handle midi files with a moderate amount of editing control over them. Rockband network (the dlc songs released by users who charted things in groups) all used an audio program called Reaper (with a special RB plugin to make it more user friendly)

Suffice to say other than the actual audio files, the midi file is basically the most important thing, it pretty much controls everything about the song other than.. Song/artist and scores.

There should be plenty of stuff about EOF not only on here but also on their site and i would expect there are many youtube videos about charting songs as well.
Sorry i cant be any help on the linux side, ive never used it..

Good luck on your custom song making. :2thumbsup:
Last edited by nobby76 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:49 pm

mus wrote:EOF is installed.

Solution:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get install liballegro4.2-dev

Those items get built as per the Linux build instructions I put together:
https://github.com/raynebc/editor-on-fi ... n_Linux.md

The only Linux flavor I've tested EOF in is Ubuntu, but building EOF from source only took one sudo apt-get command and then the make command. Hopefully that's about all there is to it for Linux Mint.

As far as authoring goes, in EOF you can use File>Import>MIDI to load up the chart's MIDI file and it will display the content of all of the playable instrument parts. There are various "input methods" that control how notes are authored (ie. most are mouse-based, a couple are controller based and Rex Mundi is a hybrid of keyboard and mouse), but conceptually it's a lot like using a simplified piano roll in a MIDI editor. You add/remove playable notes and then you can add different features, techniques, etc. EOF's help menu has a simple tutorial and an exhaustive manual, but there are lots of text and video tutorials all over the place.

Return to “Tech Support”