Charting in EOF seems tedious for a beginner like myself...

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules
This topic is 7 years and 3 weeks old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
jamiiis2325

Charting in EOF seems tedious for a beginner like myself...

Postby jamiiis2325 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:34 am

So I've been on and off attempting to chart my favorite songs. I've used all the different charting softwares and eventually landed on EOF since it's the only proper one for phase shift.
Am I just dumb or is it really difficult to chart? What am I missing? It sucks enough I can't maximize EOF and have an easier time placing notes. But I place my notes and they're never on the right timing with the song. Last thing I want to do is spend 10 minutes just moving one note slightly in each direction then rehearing the song over and over just to hear if it's right. I tried letting EOF determine the BPM thinking that would help. It didn't. How do I even get the BPM of a song?

I'm sorry if I'm just bad at this or if there's a learning curve. I'm too newb at this and just request someone tell me why it seems too tedious a task just for a single song.
YeaaOhhh!!
siavash

Re: Charting in EOF seems tedious for a beginner like myself...

Postby siavash » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:15 am

I'm sure someone will come along and provide more details on how to do this stuff, but here's a crash course for now.

1. Press F5 to display a waveform graph of the song.

2. Move the first beat of the song to match the waveform graph.

3. Press the "M" key to turn on a metronome.

4. Use a site like BPM tapper to get a rough approximation of the BPM.

http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm

5. Set the appropriate BPM in EOF now that you know it and the appropriate time signature (probably 4/4)

6. Set anchors throughout the song. In other words, scroll through the song and if you see beats that aren't perfectly aligned with the waveform graph's crests, then just move those beats to match the waveform. My charts usually have an insane amount of anchors in the chart just so the song is perfectly on-sync, but you can probably just get away with placing a couple anchors as long as your song doesn't have crazy tempo fluctuations.

7. Set a grid snap for the song. You can change this while you're charting, but basically a grid snap ensures that all notes placed are in perfect time. So a 1/16 note snap will only place notes that are in intervals of 1/16th of a measure.

I might make a quick charting guide showing my whole process for this stuff one day.
jamiiis2325

Postby jamiiis2325 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Thanks a lot man. I was kind of dumb and didn't realize there were shortcuts for stuff like that. I'm also downloading FL studio as per Puppetz' tutorial I just found. Hopefully I'll get on the right track with this process.
jamiiis2325

Postby jamiiis2325 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:20 pm

siavash wrote:I'm sure someone will come along and provide more details on how to do this stuff, but here's a crash course for now.

I didn't want to make a whole new post for something so simple, if that's ok with you. But I finished a chart in EOF (see here) and I couldn't help but notice Phase Shift ignores some of my notes with lengths added. Especially at the 1:30 mark and so forth in the song Across The Earth. (Screenshot of EOF section in question and Screenshot of same area in Phase Shift)

I also wanted to know if there was a way to specify how much star power a user earns per successful star power grab in EOF. Is that possible or are we stuck with the same basic amount?

Thanks.
YeaaOhhh!!
siavash

Postby siavash » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:44 pm

jamiiis2325 wrote:
siavash wrote:I'm sure someone will come along and provide more details on how to do this stuff, but here's a crash course for now.

I didn't want to make a whole new post for something so simple, if that's ok with you. But I finished a chart in EOF (see here) and I couldn't help but notice Phase Shift ignores some of my notes with lengths added. Especially at the 1:30 mark and so forth in the song Across The Earth. (Screenshot of EOF section in question and Screenshot of same area in Phase Shift)

I also wanted to know if there was a way to specify how much star power a user earns per successful star power grab in EOF. Is that possible or are we stuck with the same basic amount?

Thanks.

I looked at the chart in EOF, and it's unclear why some of the sustains show up in the game and why some don't. My only guess is that it might have something to do with how none of the sustains go all the way to the next note. They're all 2ms away from the following note. I know FL Studio charts sometimes are bugged so that every single note is a sustain, but I don't know if they have anything to do with each other. raynebc might be able to help you out more with this.

You can't change the amount of star power a user earns. All star power phrases result in a quarter bar of star power being given to the player. Pretty sure Phase Shift doesn't even support that kind of feature either, since GH and RB don't.
jamiiis2325

Postby jamiiis2325 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:51 pm

siavash wrote:
jamiiis2325 wrote:

Thanks.

I looked at the chart in EOF, and it's unclear why some of the sustains show up in the game and why some don't. My only guess is that it might have something to do with how none of the sustains go all the way to the next note. They're all 2ms away from the following note. I know FL Studio charts sometimes are bugged so that every single note is a sustain, but I don't know if they have anything to do with each other. raynebc might be able to help you out more with this.

You can't change the amount of star power a user earns. All star power phrases result in a quarter bar of star power being given to the player. Pretty sure Phase Shift doesn't even support that kind of feature either, since GH and RB don't.

Okay so I tested a hypothesis and figured it out. Phase Shift, for whatever reason, doesn't register length in notes lower than 80 BPM. So since everything was placed where it needed to be and I no longer relied on the metronome, I made a copy of the notes.eof file, then bumped that area up to 102 BPM like the majority of the song is at. And the lengths register now.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:04 pm

Based on what I could find, Phase Shift automatically drops the tail from any note that is 1/16 measure or shorter:
http://dwsk.proboards.com/post/16351/thread

The screen capture makes it appear that the sustained chords are about 1/4 beat long (1/16 measure if 4/4 time signature is in effect), minus a millisecond or two as per EOF's handling of notes. By increasing the tempo, the length of affected beats became shorter, and the sustained chords would be longer than 1/16 length and long enough for the game to treat as sustained (ie. allow its tail to be drawn).

Return to “Tech Support”