help me sync a song to a chart

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules
This topic is 10 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
FrOoGle

help me sync a song to a chart

Postby FrOoGle » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:34 pm

hello again, could anybody help tell me how 2 sync a song to a chart, thank you very much.
My Song Thread - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59701
FrOoGle HeRo I - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=628936#p628936
FrOoGle HeRo II (unfinished :C) - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=58720
FrOoGle HeRo III - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=637471#p637471
FrOoGle HeRo IV - viewtopic.php?f=17&p=638836
Bullet Train Blast - Nothing Remains (full album) - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=630599#p630599
Shadows Fall - Fire From the Sky (full album) - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59287&p=634454&hilit=Shadows+fall#p634454

Signature picture provided by The---Way
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: help me sync a song to a chart

Postby raynebc » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:00 pm

The least complicated means to sync the chart would be to display the waveform graph (F5) and just click and drag beat markers as appropriate so that they line up with the song (usually the drummer). For example, you can enable the metronome (M) and play the song (Spacebar). Typically with Western music, the drum keeps the song's rhythm, so you want to hear the metronome tick in unison with snare or bass drum beats much (but not all, sometimes the drummer uses an odd drumming pattern or plays a drum fill) of the time. If the metronome is not ticking at the right time, you can stop playback (Spacebar) click and drag the nearest beat marker (the --> arrow) so that it is positioned where the tick should occur. This makes the beat an "anchor", kind of like a sync point in the chart. The tempo between each anchor remains consistent, and anchors are the mechanism for dealing with parts of the song where the musicians don't keep a steady tempo. Once you alter the beats position, you can seek backward a little bit and play the chart again to see if the metronome sounds right. You will normally need to make several such corrections throughout the course of the song. Often you can see snare drum hits in the waveform graph, where the graph suddenly goes higher in a short burst, and when the beats are synced, you should notice that the parts of the graph that burst higher like this (have a higher amplitude) are often lining up with the beat lines.

This process is time consuming and tedious, but it gets easier with practice. You can also mix in other techniques to help save some time. Getting a good starting tempo for the song and placing that tempo on the first beat marker where the song starts will mean that you have to make fewer corrections to the other beats' positions. Some people use software (like Mixmeister) to estimate the tempo of a song or use programs that have them press a button in time with the song's beat to produce an average tempo off of that. The most accurate way is to do it manually by anchoring the beats as described. Syncing the first beat marker to the beginning of the song, then syncing a beat a few beats further into the song, deleting the anchor created at that beat (select the beat and use the "Beat>Delete anchor" function) and repeating the process a few beats further in is kind of a shortcut for getting a good tempo for the first beat marker. This is because when you move a beat marker in EOF, the tempo of the previous anchor is updated accordingly, and the act of deleting an anchor applies the previous anchor's tempo to the rest of the chart (or until an anchor is encountered further ahead in the chart).

If you use the newer hotfixes I've been posting in a Rocksmith related forum (http://forums.smithyanvil.com/viewtopic.php?id=33), you can even use a recently added feature where you can import the beat timings from Sonic Visualiser, which can create an automated tempo map. If you're interested, instructions are available here:
http://forums.smithyanvil.com/viewtopic ... 39#p113439
The instructions for using the Sonic Visualiser import will be in the manual in the next release candidate.

Return to “Tech Support”