Frets on Fire no longer working, has for months

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules
This topic is 12 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
pencilman222000

Frets on Fire no longer working, has for months

Postby pencilman222000 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:55 pm

I have been using FoFix (3.121) for a few months with a large number of songs and they have always all worked with no problems, and i always backed up 100 percent of my files, and recently I had to use System Restore on my computer and for some reason my FoFix started giving me errors afterward, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it.

After reinstallation I no longer get the errors i was getting, but now my songs don't work. I have honestly tried uninstalling and reinstalling 57 times, installed in many different places on my hard drive, and restarted the computer between many installs, and every time i get the same error, the song folders show up, but upon selecting the song folder I am jumped back to the same directory I was in.

If i want the song Xepher by Tatsh:
Say the file structure is data\songs\fof_special\Xepher\-song files here-

I will get the menu with the "fof_special" directory, but nothing happens upon selecting it except for a sound is played.

I have completely removed all appdata files and log files that I could find, and installed the program in many places and this happens every time. ive never had a problem like this even when moving the installation between computers (in an attempt to save time) and i cannot for the life of me figure this out, even after starting fresh 57 times it still happens.

Does anyone know how i could fix this? FoFix is one of my favorite parts of my computer and this stinks.
blatz89

Re: Frets on Fire no longer working, has for months

Postby blatz89 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:27 pm

OMG, an intelligently constructed help response :laugh: .

Anyways, I've had this problem a few times before, and it's usually an issue with the song.ini file of the specific song(s)
Have you tried checking that yet? And if you have could you copy/paste what it says in notepad when you open it as a post. :tongue:
THE RiPPER
bluzer

Postby bluzer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:57 pm

If the path to the songs have changed it might be a problem with the .fofix-cache files... delete those(fofix makes them in your songs folder and each sub-directory with songs in them), and try again.
Image .... Image

-=-=-=-=-=- Request Your RB Songs Here: Song Request Page! -=-=-=-=-=-

The Who - Behind Blue Eyes Hidden Rock Band Rip!(expert only, Puppetz Style Custom!)
Scrolling Lyrics Tutorial (Rockband Style) 4 MFH-Alarian Mod
Guitar Hero: Aerosmith (links updated 10.12.09)
Guitar Hero: Metallica + DLC
Guitar Hero: Van Halen
Guitar Hero 5 DLC (incomplete)
Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock: (for FoF / FoFiX / Phase Shift)
ALL Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock DLC Downloadable
Rock Band 3: (for FoF / FoFiX / Phase Shift)
Available as RB3 DLC:
~~Bon Jovi: Greatest Hits (Rock Band Edition)
~~The Bee Gee's 01 Track Pack
~~John Lennon's "Imagine" Album
~~Queen Extravaganza Pack
~~Queen RB3 Enhanced Pack
~~Billy Joel: The Hits (Rock Band Edition)
~~Johnny Cash 01 Track Pack
~~Dragonforce RB3 DLC Songs
~~Linkin Park 6 Pack
~~Ozzy 8-Pack
~~The Doors: Greatest Hits
~~Lady GaGa 02
~~Bruno Mars TP
~~Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood
~~Megadeth - Rust In Peace
~~Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With the Chili Peppers
~~Foo Fighters Track Pack 02/03/04
~~Coldplay Collection 01
~~Nirvana 01/02 & Celebrating Nirvana TPs
~~Avenged Sevenfold 01 TPs +2
~~20 Single DLCs

All of the links under this button are dead, its here for an archived version of my old "sig"
pencilman222000

Postby pencilman222000 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:46 pm

blatz89 wrote:OMG, an intelligently constructed help response :laugh: .

Anyways, I've had this problem a few times before, and it's usually an issue with the song.ini file of the specific song(s)
Have you tried checking that yet? And if you have could you copy/paste what it says in notepad when you open it as a post. :tongue:

Oh let me try again:

"My sons no work, need fix, how do"

Ok well this isn't the problem because I have checked the song.ini's for many of the songs and they are just like that of new songs, also it isn't the fofix.cache files either because I did a search and deleted ever instance of "fofix" on my hard drive.

EDIT: Oh no!! I got back to my computer and it looks like all my song.ini files got deleted!!! what should i do?

EDIT - 2: ITS WORKING, the song.ini files in both my program folder AND my backup all got deleted during the system restore (they were modified on the hard drive after my last restore point, which was a LONG time ago), that's why none would play, LUCKILY i still had .rar files of all the songs except a few which I can add the song.ini files myself.

Thanks for the help you indirectly/directly gave me, now I'm off to play some well-deserved guitar-games.
blatz89

Postby blatz89 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:38 pm

Well that's odd...
Anyways, godspeed to you and your well-deserved guitar games!

Return to “Tech Support”