Blender hates me! - Oh Yes it does!

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules
blazingamer

Postby blazingamer » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:40 pm

Okay, well to get started, I made some models I wanted to use in FOF. I exported them as .dae (at least that worked) but when I try to play, they don't show up in game (hmm, I guess I didn't work)

I followed the instructions, I downloaded Blender 2.45 and python 2.5, because 2.4 doesn't work with the newest blender version, and I installed the newest Collada importer/exporter patch. It works and all, I can import files correctly, but it doesn't like exporting.

Now don't go telling me to install the 3ds Max trial because it goes as slow as a constipated man on a toilet after eating a whole bunch of bananas. All of the versions I could find required more ram and vram than I can offer so I won't go anywhere near it no matter what you say, I'm sticking to blender.
blazingamer

Postby blazingamer » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:02 pm

I know this has been asked before, I looked at a lot of them and it still didn't work. I resized it, I named the objects correctly, I've imported different models and edited then exported them and it still didn't work.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:53 pm

Try redownloading either, blender , python or the importer/exporter, If it wont even export exsiting/ working models, then its part of the softaware thats not working correctly. I know you said you imported one of the existing models then edited it then exporting. But have you tried just importing it, then exporting it, without doing any editing on it? Just in case your moving it to a place just underneath where the fret board would be ( remember it only needs to get moved the same amount as the height of the note, then you probably wont see it) and i know its V easy to accidentally move something without really noticing ( i do a lot of 3d modeling/animating as a hobby). So just see if you can do a straight import then export and see if that works or not, if it doesnt id say its the software.
Last edited by nobby76 on Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
blazingamer

Postby blazingamer » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:29 pm

Yeah, I tried that too, it didn't work, I'll download an older version of the Collada Importer/Exporter, maybe that will work. I'm currently using Collada 0.3.159
Last edited by blazingamer on Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
worldrave

Postby worldrave » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:49 pm

I'm trying to mess around with Blender, and i can't seem to get things working right. I am using Blender 2.45(64bit addit), Python 2.5 (was told 2.45- doesn't work with Python 2.4-), and newest Collada plugin (Collada_0_3_159), which i installed in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts" directory. But when i try to import a dae file (using 1.4, not 1.3), it error's - asking me to look at the error in the python console, which says "ImportError: DLL load failed with error code 193". I'm sure i didn't setup something right. I've searched a bunch for anything i might have missed, but since i'm a newbie with Blender/Python, i don't know enough to know better with what i might NOT be searching for to have missed what's not done right.
Is it something possibly with running on x64, or did i miss something very important. I'd like to learn and mess around with Blender, so i can hopefully add to assisting the community in ways, new notes and stuff. Thanks for all help to me with this.
blazingamer

Postby blazingamer » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:59 am

Yeah, that happens every now and then to me, but then other times it doesn't, don't know why, I don't know maybe try importing it as a new scene. I get the same problem in Windows so no, it's not a x64 problem. But I don't have a problem with importing, it's just exporting, I have no idea why? I haven't down graded yet, I haven't looked too far into seeing which ones work with blender 2.45 or if I should just downgrade the whole pack (Blender and all).
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:41 am

I really dont know, i only ever tried blender once, and everything worked out ok for me. The only prob i had was the version of the plugin i had didnt work with the version of python i had so i changed the plugin ( both python and the plugin were older versions than yours) then every thing worked ok! As i said i only used it once ( i decided blender was the most awkward peice of crap id ever used, and ive used a few 3d programs in my time ) so for my one off test i tried making a very basic replica of FoZz's ( guitar case folder ) I made the model in a different program , i started by loading fozz's model into blender, exporting it as somethig i could use in my program, loaded it into the 3d prog i use, made a very basic ( rough) copy , loaded that back into blender, then exported it as .dae ( or is that .dea ? ) Dumped the model into a mod folder in FoF and it worked!, first go!.
But as i said i really dont like blender, its so OVER complicated. So i have it on my computer ( some where?? ) but i dont use it, unless i was to make something for FoF, and then id only use blender as the exporter.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
blazingamer

Postby blazingamer » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:46 am

I think I'll try that, I use blender for making and animating models for a game I'm working on, but it seems if I'm going to use it for FOF, I can't use it for modeling, I'll have to use something else.

Is there a limit on how many parts you can have to it or materials, do you also know how to assign something so that only that part will change colors when you pick the code in the theme.ini, because I'm mainly doing this so I can release some notes I made.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:09 am

its all done with names call up a one of FoZz's notes and you will see it has i think 3 or 4 different part/ surface names i think there something like mesh 1 mesh 2 mesh 3 meash 4 . Say mesh 1 is the main colour, which will change depending on what fret it is. mesh 2 could be the black ring around the note mesh 3 could be the white bit ... you ge tthe picture. Just have a look at fozz's notes and you will see what i mean!. BTW you can do the whole moddeling job in blender if you whish, the only reason i didnt is coz i hate blender, i just built it in something else ( that i find easier to use) Then converted it in Blender, that way i only had to do " import.. Export" then get out of blender as fast as possible! :)
worldrave

Postby worldrave » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:57 pm

if by other program used, are you talking about 3d max studio? i just got that myself. i am asking since i am wanting to learn a little and make some new notes and just in general play around with some things, and if you said blender was more difficult, it sounds like maybe thats not the best one for me to start learning from scratch with. Mind you i dont mind only using blender to import and export each time with, and 3d max to actually edit if thats easier and yet better program to use. i really value your opinion. thanks in advance.
blazingamer

Postby blazingamer » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:44 pm

I like blender and all, it's nice for me, I'm not a beginner when it comes to modeling, but if I had 3dsmax I might use that instead, I'm only using blender because it's free and because my computer doesn't have good enough specs to handle 3dsmax. I was thinking of using AC3d again(I think that's what it's called) but after importing a model then exporting it and it not working, I didn't touch it once, just in then out, I have a feeling it has to do with the newest version of the exporter, so now that I have my flash drive in, I'll download an older version and see if that helps.
blazingamer

Postby blazingamer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:29 pm

Well, I downgraded the exporter/importer and it still didn't work, it looks like I'm going to have to downgrade everything to get anywhere.
poopsticker

Postby poopsticker » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:00 pm

get Python 2.5.1 and make sure you have the right version for your architecture. Also maybe try Mark Hammond's win32all package, which adds a number of Windows-specific extensions to Python, including COM support and the Pythonwin IDE.
Last edited by poopsticker on Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:26 pm

worldrave wrote:if by other program used, are you talking about 3d max studio?

3ds max is one option yes, or any other 3d package that can save out somehting that blender can load in, If you saved it as something like. obj ( wavefront object) (or any other format blender can load) you could use almost any 3d moddeling program, as .obj is the standard for 3d objects. I think Max 9 can import export DAE ( i think ) if it can you dont even need to go near blender, you can model and export right from max. And yes i wouldnt recomend blender as being the easiest program to learn from scratch, ive used quite a few different 3d progs over the years and blender ( regardless of being free) is one of the worst i have ever used, it can yeild some amazing results, but its just not that user friendly, or stable ( as you can see from the probs your having) As i said if your copy of max can Export as DAE and you have a little knowledge of it, id go with that! ( if it cant export as DAE you might be able to find a plugin for max that will let you export as that, google something like MAX DAE plugin ) Personaly i use Lightwave 3d as my main 3d moddeler and renderer, then if need be i can convert them over to pretty much any 3d format i want with my converter.
poopsticker

Postby poopsticker » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:30 pm

Max has a collada pluigin that can export DAE

Return to “Tech Support”