Performance Tips and Tweaks for Power PC users (and Vista)

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules
This topic is 14 years and 10 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
KillerQ

Performance Tips and Tweaks for Power PC users (and Vista)

Postby KillerQ » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:28 pm

Hey all,

It's no secret that many of us with Vista and very powerful gaming PCs are having major lag issues when other, resource-hungry games are running perfectly when maxed out graphically.

I figured I would start a list that we can all add to to try and minimize lag.

Here's what i have read so far:

a) Disable AeroGlass in Vista
b) Run in win 98 compatibility mode (or XP)
c) Drop down to the latest Alarian release.
d) Try windowed mode
e) Change In the .ini):

Code: Select all

[opengl]
supportfbo = False
svgshaders = False

To:

Code: Select all

[opengl]
supportfbo = True
svgshaders = True

I am determined to solve this. Knowing that My computer can handle it graphically, it's just a matter of finding the correct combo of settings.

FYI, my PC specs areL
-Pentium D DuoCore 2.6ghz
-3 gb RAM
-Nvidia 9800 GTX= OC w/ 512mb of memory
-Vista HomePremium 32bit

Until I figure this out, I feel like my ION drums are being neglected....

Let's do this,

Later,

Matt
I'm happy with my Ion Rocker kit and Roland KD-8 double bass kick trigger!
Wait what
evilbobthebob

Re: Performance Tips and Tweaks for Power PC users (and Vista)

Postby evilbobthebob » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:42 pm

Weirdly, I have only a moderately powerful laptop running Vista, and I get very little lag on FoFiX. I find that running in full screen mode actually gives me better performance. Those ini options you mentioned also seem to help for me too.
All my songs | My Hero Project: A Hero
The Smart Way to Ask Questions

Spoiler:ummmmm hey guys
you suck because I said so
I know everything about art guys
what you make is worthless because you use photos
allow me to bash you and not prove I hold any talent of my own guys
guys guys guys
look at me
I need attention

KillerQ

Postby KillerQ » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:49 pm

I am messing with a few more things - i'll update when finished...

Matt!
KillerQ

Postby KillerQ » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:11 pm

Hey all,

I have found a new, great trick that REALLY improves the performance in Vista when using a fast computer....

Instead of just running the installed FretsOnFire.exe in WinXP SP2 Compatibility mode, use the FoF Installer and actually change the attributes of the INSTALL file to XP SP2 before installing it. This changes the way that Vista installed the application. You can google up on it if you want.

I also swear by the

[opengl]
supportfbo = True
svgshaders = True

Trick.

I can run FoFix with all maxed out graphics on the RB2 theme and it's pretty darn smoooooth!

Later,

Matt!
∫ PROBLEM CHILD dx
MARIUSBMX

Postby MARIUSBMX » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:43 pm

hey was up how i disable aeroglass???
Pro Rock Band
RinuX

Postby RinuX » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:51 am

i also advice...

- set in "performance" (you have to choose performance or middle or quality)
on the software of graphic card (physX for nVidia, ATI catalyst control center for ATI)

- in game set fps to 35~40~45

- play with fofix 3.030 (because 3.100 is too hungry)

- in game set "preload glyph cache : YES"

- set the fretboard in percent and choose 100~150

;)
therude

Postby therude » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:41 pm

Disable everything you do not need to play, such as:

Lyrics
Background
In-game messages (note streaks,etc)
Accuracy notifications.

These, coupled with some of the tips I found above as well as in the Wiki, have greatly improved performance on my nearly three-year old laptop. Now if I could only run the FPS logger without crashing out all the time, I could try and get a numerical estimate.
KillerQ

Postby KillerQ » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:03 pm

therude wrote:Disable everything you do not need to play, such as:

Lyrics
Background
In-game messages (note streaks,etc)
Accuracy notifications.

These, coupled with some of the tips I found above as well as in the Wiki, have greatly improved performance on my nearly three-year old laptop. Now if I could only run the FPS logger without crashing out all the time, I could try and get a numerical estimate.

The odd thing is, FoF ran near-perfect with almost everything maxed out ran on my 5 year old, win XP laptop with 512mb RAM, and 32mb shared video RAM.... However, it runs horribly on my new, monster machine with Vista. Oh well.

If the above tweaks don't change much more, I am going to dual boot wth XP - cause after a certain point of having to disable all of the bells and whistles, it seems like a waste to even bother - given my current specs....

Later,

Matt!
therude

Postby therude » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:23 pm

That's interesting to know. I have been running W7 beta full blast for a couple of months now, and the performance seems to be on par with what I remember XP was doing. But in the interest of fair and balanced analysis I should do the same. I would be interested to see how the two match up, side by side.

The current checklist of running FoFix goes something like this:

Open FoFix directory
Open shortcut to Adjust Appearance and Perfomance menu, switch to max performance.
Disable Bluetooth and WiFi via hotkey.
Reboot.
Reopen FoFix directory, connect wireless adapter, power on RB2 drums, friggin kill it.

Not quite at the point of diminishing returns, considering the fast boot time I get with 7.
KillerQ

Postby KillerQ » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:53 pm

Hello again.....

Just an update - I finished installing a 3rd drive that's dedicated as a dual-boot XP drive.

I am using 3.1 final along with all of the settings mentioned in my previous posts.... FoF Runs better than I have ever seen it! I can't even GET it to skip - or lag.

So, at least on this face, FoF seems to perform much better on XP. Since I have the Ion Drums, it was important that I get FoF to a state where I could play more without getting frustrated with performance issues....

Don't get me wrong, I'll still be plugging away at Vista to get it to perform the same....

Later,

Matt!
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby KTownEgghead » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:24 pm

Wow, this thread REALLY helped with my lag problems. I'm running Vista, and unless I'm running another Memory hogging program (i.e. Photoshop or Firefox), it runs with no problems at all. When I have FireFox open and I'm streaming me playing in BlogTV, I have a few lags here and there, but it's still very playable quality. Thanks!
dance along the fault line; feel the shaking in your bones,
lose the tension in my throat, and live for something.
KillerQ

Postby KillerQ » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:47 am

KTownEgghead wrote:Wow, this thread REALLY helped with my lag problems. I'm running Vista, and unless I'm running another Memory hogging program (i.e. Photoshop or Firefox), it runs with no problems at all. When I have FireFox open and I'm streaming me playing in BlogTV, I have a few lags here and there, but it's still very playable quality. Thanks!

Good,

Glad we could help. Ya know, I think I will use msconfig in Vista, and try to start up with NOTHING running. It's worth another shot...

Later,

Matt!
therude

Postby therude » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:51 am

KillerQ wrote:I think I will use msconfig in Vista, and try to start up with NOTHING running.

Good idea! I tried to do the same, but with absolutely everything turned off, the game would not load. It's going to take one hell of a trial-and-error effort to determine the right combination of services, but I'm sure it can be done.

On a whim I decided to add back a few of the options that I had removed from my above post. It runs so much smoother now! Way better than before.
KillerQ

Postby KillerQ » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:29 pm

therude wrote:
KillerQ wrote:I think I will use msconfig in Vista, and try to start up with NOTHING running.

Good idea! I tried to do the same, but with absolutely everything turned off, the game would not load. It's going to take one hell of a trial-and-error effort to determine the right combination of services, but I'm sure it can be done.

On a whim I decided to add back a few of the options that I had removed from my above post. It runs so much smoother now! Way better than before.

Rude,

Nice job.... Let us know if you narrow it down to any major contributors... In addition, this is, and has been for years, the best resource for background processes in Windows (scroll down to see Vista's processes): http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

Later,

Matt!
sithwalrus

Postby sithwalrus » Tue May 26, 2009 9:22 pm

KillerQ wrote:Hey all,

I have found a new, great trick that REALLY improves the performance in Vista when using a fast computer....

Instead of just running the installed FretsOnFire.exe in WinXP SP2 Compatibility mode, use the FoF Installer and actually change the attributes of the INSTALL file to XP SP2 before installing it. This changes the way that Vista installed the application. You can google up on it if you want.

I also swear by the

[opengl]
supportfbo = True
svgshaders = True

Trick.

I can run FoFix with all maxed out graphics on the RB2 theme and it's pretty darn smoooooth!

Later,

Matt!

I have a few problems running FoF in Vista as well, so could you please provide links to wherever you found out how to do this? I dont want to destroy my machine, and this sounds like a bit of a procedure. I tried google, but found nothing like what you have mentioned.
I am a desperate guitar hero player who needs something more entertaining to play than satch boogey, so if anyone knows how to do this please help.
BTW, my only problems are that when i start a song in FoF, it lags for ten seconds after each frame in the countdown, but plays at normal speed in the song, and when i apply new settings, or save custom songs, the game stops.
I do have a pretty good computer (4 Gigs Ram, 9400 Invidia, 4 Gig Processor) so that shouldn't be the problem.

Return to “Tech Support”