Rockfan (This time it's for real!)

Discussion specific to other music games, like: RB, GH, GZ, JamLegend, SoS, etc.
Official Developer!!
Acedia

Rockfan (This time it's for real!)

Postby Acedia » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:02 pm

Rockfan : A Music Rhythm Game.

Minimum System Specs:

CPU: Intel P4 1.73ghz or faster, or equivalent amd.
RAM: 768MB+ Ram (XP), or 1GB+ Ram (Vista or 7)
Video: Video card with support for pixel shader 2.0, and atleast 256MB of vram
Observed Performance: 70 - 125 fps in Single.

Another week has passed, and another week without Online Multiplayer support. However some new features have been added to RF, to almost complete the Quickplay Game mode.

A pause menu is working, allowing for Quiting, or resuming the current song.

A fail menu is in place. This displays only the Ability to restart, or Quit.

Performance improvements have been made to the input handling.

The new installer, now removes the old version of Rockfan, ie 1.10.127, and replaces it with the updated version of the beta.

Known Issues:

The .mid importer, still is having issues with .mids that are RB, and EOF created mids.

There is no Give on the Amount of lift time for sustains, to lift, and hit the next Note(s).

If the note before the Sustain is close enough to the sustain note, and it is missed, the Sustain Note does not Play.

Opinions of a couple testers say that it's really hard to recover during fast sequences under the Expert Difficulty Setting.

Beta 1.10.131 Releaes Video

[Disclaimer:]

By downlading and installing this program You are agreeing that Michael T. Joiner The Programmer of Rockfan (beta) is not liable for any damages, caused by forseen or unforseen problems with running this program. All images, Coding, and Licencing of Trademarked, Register, or otherwise copyrighted materials belongs to their respective owners.

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

By Agreeing to this End User Licence Agreement, your are stating that You will not Sue, or otherwise require money, property or personal rights to any or all of This program, or the creators of this program, You also agree to hold yourselves personally responsiable.
Michael T. Joiner, and guitarzero2.proboards.com provides no promises to me, the end user.

Alright I have read and agree to the Disclaimer, now take me to my download
Last edited by Acedia on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 8 times in total.
blah.
felixdaman18

Re: Rockfan (This time it's for real!)

Postby felixdaman18 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:21 pm

system specs are kinda high
Add me on XBL
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:01 pm

compared to fof maybe
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:16 pm

Maybe because of XNA with FlatRedBall?
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:44 pm

They're not that high. It's just that really low end PC's havent been tested. I plan to do testing on that soon.
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Official Developer!!
Acedia

Postby Acedia » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:57 pm

felixdaman18 wrote:system specs are kinda high

Those are minimum specs as of right now, although performance figures shows that the specs could be lowered, I have been doing some Animation, 3d, Post processing, and Networking, and with those specs you should run at a constant 60fps in Multi player mode. In fact i'm currently optimizing the engine, once again to accommodate to even lower pc's... However it might now be much lower after it's all said and done.
Gah.
OzzyOzrock

Postby OzzyOzrock » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:13 am

By downlading and installing this program You are agreeing that Michael T. Joiner The creator of Rockfan (beta) is not liable for any damages, caused by forseen or unforseen problems with running this program. All images, Coding, and Licencing of Trademarked, Register, or otherwise copyrighted materials belongs to their respective owners.

These things always scare me lol.
ImageImage

I haven't touched a GH related game for 6 months. Woo. My (dead) song thread: Contains horrible things.
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:54 am

Yes, but does it run on Linux?

I'm sorry, really. I jest, I jest.
Official Developer!!
Acedia

Postby Acedia » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:00 am

Lysdestic wrote:Yes, but does it run on Linux?

Does this really require a response?
FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Postby jstump91 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:00 am

OzzyOzrock wrote:
By downlading and installing this program You are agreeing that Michael T. Joiner The creator of Rockfan (beta) is not liable for any damages, caused by forseen or unforseen problems with running this program. All images, Coding, and Licencing of Trademarked, Register, or otherwise copyrighted materials belongs to their respective owners.

These things always scare me lol.

To be fair, FoFiX's license has a similar clause, as do practically all free/open-source software licenses and free-as-in-beer (e.g. Rockfan) software licenses. In the case of free/open-source software licenses, though, it tends to be buried in the middle.

As FoFiX's license (the GPL version 2) puts it,
GNU General Public License, version 2 wrote:11. BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

12. IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MODIFY AND/OR REDISTRIBUTE THE PROGRAM AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE PROGRAM TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER PROGRAMS), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

Such broad disclaimers are fairly standard practice.
jstump91, a.k.a. john.stumpo, a.k.a. stump
jstump.com | stump's blog | FoFiX development | My own code
Can't find a Windows build of the Python module you need? Try my mediafire!
Don't say "Python can't do [insert task here]." Python can do anything with the right modules - said modules may just not have been written yet.
"Python - why settle for snake oil when you can have the whole snake?" --Mark Jackson
Did you search before you posted? Did you read the rules for the subforum you are posting in?
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:03 am

Acedia wrote:

No, it was in jest. You know, humour.
FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Postby jstump91 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:04 am

Acedia wrote:

As nice as it would be for this to be portable, let's not head down this road again. IIRC, posts like this were a major part of the reason for your not wanting to finish this during the summer. I do not want you to be discouraged from completing your implementation, and I even say this as the person who is most likely to try adding online play directly to FoFiX (FoFiX issue 664).
jstump91, a.k.a. john.stumpo, a.k.a. stump
jstump.com | stump's blog | FoFiX development | My own code
Can't find a Windows build of the Python module you need? Try my mediafire!
Don't say "Python can't do [insert task here]." Python can do anything with the right modules - said modules may just not have been written yet.
"Python - why settle for snake oil when you can have the whole snake?" --Mark Jackson
Did you search before you posted? Did you read the rules for the subforum you are posting in?
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:07 am

Heh, my way of being nice is humour. If were attempting to make a serious issue out of it, I would have made a serious and negative remark about it, similar to the way people did before.

The joke was simply a way of illustrating it was 'water under the bridge', as it were.
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:19 am

Lysdestic wrote:Heh, my way of being nice is humour. If were attempting to make a serious issue out of it, I would have made a serious and negative remark about it, similar to the way people did before.

The joke was simply a way of illustrating it was 'water under the bridge', as it were.

Ah Lys. If sarcasm could be transferred through text, things would be a lot easier for you it seems haha.

Good luck with the project though, Acedia.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:50 am

How possible is it for FoFiX to be redesigned so that all code that is set-in-stone platform dependent (input detection, graphics, sound, etc) is handled by wrapper functions? That way, different libraries and platforms could be used on a per-platform basis while the platform-independent game logic remains the same. Sure, this is a ridiculously-huge jump. If done right, it could mean building FoFiX with XNA, DirectX, etc. by just coding the wrapper functions that interface FoFiX with the platform-dependent stuff. This is a large parting in direction from developing the entire game in modules that are platform portable at the cost of performance, but is more practical than porting the entire game to another programming language. As a lower level programmer, I recognize the work is well beyond me, but possible with the right talent.

Return to “Other Music Games”