FOF-Live (The Online Playing Experience)

Discussion specific to other music games, like: RB, GH, GZ, JamLegend, SoS, etc.

What's your opinion?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:04 pm

Acedia Go F*!& yourself, we don't need you to do Online-Multiplayer for us.
11%
Acedia, I'm sorry, please continue doing this for us.
89%

Total votes: 18
Official Developer!!
Acedia

FOF-Live (The Online Playing Experience)

Postby Acedia » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:43 pm

Spoiler:update (June 1st 2009)

Possible SetList
Gnarkill
Skeletor/Beastman

Krypteria
The Promise

Poisonblack
Rush

Halo
Machine Head

Angel of Death
Slayer

Heartbreak Armageddon
Dragonforce

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Torture Me

Anarchy Club
Through Windows Clear

Modest Mouse
Dashboard

Avenged Sevenfold
Chapter Four

Dream Theater
Octavarium

SlipKnot
Duality

Qustions and Answers

Here I will answer most of the questions asked on a regular basis.

Question:
What mod is this based off of ?
This project is not based of off any mod, infact this is a new stand-alone project written in c#. The source code will be available after the initial release, and first set of bug fixes have been preformed.

Question:
Is this project really going to happen?
Yes! this project is really going to happen. I have a dev team, though it's quite small. I also have a website dedicated to this here

Question:
Why a standalone?
The reason for a standalone is the fact that with all of the new features being implemented, I needed a clean slate. Doing so gives me the ability to make it easier for others to mod, have a better in game editor, and create a better networking module. It's not to say that Python isn't good, but it's better for me to start with something i'm alot better familiar with.

Questions
A.How exactly are you going to do song downloads? B:Are you going to have a server specifically for DLS? C:what if there's more than one fretting of a song?
Alright lets start with song downloads. It is illegal to transfer copyrighted material. However there will be a song transfer service implimented into the game engine that will allow for the transferring of songs. It will ask from the person transfering, if they accept the responsibility of transfering said copyrighted material. The downloader will also have to agree that they may or may not be downloading copyrighted material, and they accept the responsibility.
There will at first be no such server to download songs specific to FOF-Live, however your more then welcome to download songs from the Tune postings in the Forum.
There will only be one official fretting of each of the songs, The central server will keep a list of the official songs.

Question:
Will there be different Ho-Po settings along with difficulty settings?
Yes Different settings will be avaliable during the Custom Games modes only. FOF-Live will have it's own set of configurations possiably different from those that have played fof in the past.
All songs that are the official fretting will have all difficulties for all instruments.
Question:
Will there be Voice Chat?
Yes Voice chat will be implemented in the released version of FOF-Live.
Question:
Will I be able to have more than one player on my computer play online with me?
Yes. This game will allow you to bring your at home band online, and play against another bands.

Question:
Can we see some of the code?
Certainly, but your going to have to wait for an official release of the code.

Question:
Will My Xbox360/PS3 Controllers(Guitar, Drums) work with FOF-Live?
The Xbox 360 will work as of Now. However I have not started to work on the module to get the PS3 peripherals working as of yet. I hope to have them working for the release of FOF-Live.

continuing to edit....

I have halted any progress updates until the poll is complete. The Poll will run for 17 days, after that i will Do happily what the poll suggests.
Last edited by Acedia on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Re: FOF: Online WIP

Postby acrox999 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:24 pm

Schweeet!!!! Anyway, I think at the matchmaking lobby, after we have choose something, the cursor should stay at the place that we choose.
Official Developer!!
Acedia

Postby Acedia » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:03 pm

Thanx for the suggestion, that has now been fixed.
Knight of Cydonia
Stripes

Postby Stripes » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:21 pm

This looks promising! :biggrin:
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:23 pm

Why standalone?

you should make a faq answering simple questions like this
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
Official Developer!!
Acedia

Postby Acedia » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:01 pm

socks wrote:ok what is this based off of. and where are we gonna find a non laggy dedicated server for this???

I don't know what you mean, "What is this based off of?"
Think of the Xbox live system, it's going to be something "similar" to that. it will use the udp protocol to contact the central server, and will be peer-peer during matchmaking games.

evilbobthebob wrote:Great project and all...but if you don't want 'negative comments' then what are we meant to discuss? "Yeah, its good" "I agree" "We could add this feature" is about as far as it goes.

This is not about negitive feedback on the actually WIP, or any parts of it. This is not to say that i cannot take any negitive comments, however. Saying "This is a joke, this will never happen, You don't know what your talking about, and You can't do that" are all things that are not dissicussed, it's not part of the topic. If you have a comment on the actuall gameplay, or anything that you see that you don't like, sure comment, but as said before anything pertaining to my ability to do this is not under discussion.

domen wrote:will fof really be online or is this only a idea ?

FOF will really be online, but at the moment it is in design stage.
If you've ever taken a look at the FOF:ix source code, you'll notice that networking is already implimented, however the engine does not use it.

vedicardi wrote:Why standalone?

The reason for the stand-alone, is the fact,that i can create a better menu system, better ability to mod, better in-game editor, better networking module. This is not to say that FOF:ix is not good. It's just to say, that when so many things are being changed to accommodating the features that everyone would like. It's easier to start from scratch.
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:27 pm

Really, such vague information does nothing other than attract skeptics and trolls. I don't really blame them.

If you believe that the skepticism is unwarranted, then understand that we've been through this before. One user promises online capability, refuses to allow anyone else to get involved, leads everyone on, then... nothing.

That said, I wish you the best of luck with this project.
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki
stop
quakegod667

Postby quakegod667 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:20 pm

This looks pretty interesting, but there are a few potential problems.

1. How exactly are you going to do song downloads? Are you going to have a server specifically for DLS? And what if there's more than one fretting of a song? Is there going to be one "official" fretting of a song?

2. Exactly what mod is this going to be based off? Is this going to be based off RF-Mod, or Hering or FoFix for different instruments?

3. Settings: Will there be different Ho-Po settings and different difficulty settings depending what kind of player you are ala GH3? Or will there be one set set of settings?

4. Voice Chat?

5. Will there be one single lobby, or will there be separate lobbies for separate difficulty settings?

Well, those are my nitpicks with the idea. Other than those, the idea seems to have progressed nicely. Good luck!
Official Developer!!
Acedia

Postby Acedia » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:24 pm

nwru wrote:Really, such vague information does nothing other than attract skeptics and trolls. I don't really blame them.

If you believe that the skepticism is unwarranted, then understand that we've been through this before. One user promises online capability, refuses to allow anyone else to get involved, leads everyone on, then... nothing.

That said, I wish you the best of luck with this project.

I don't blame them either, I was on the end of the bad stick at one point, I really don't understand, what more information people want. Do they want the actual code? Do they want it done right now?(which isn't going to happen). I mean I'm giving out as much information as I can.
The reasoning for doing this myself is, has anyone else attempted to do this? where have they gone. what was the end result. It's not about not letting others do it, just like you i don't trust others. I know if i do it my self, the only person i can blame is me.

quakegod667 wrote:
1. How exactly are you going to do song downloads? Are you going to have a server specifically for DLS? And what if there's more than one fretting of a song? Is there going to be one "official" fretting of a song?

2. Exactly what mod is this going to be based off? Is this going to be based off RF-Mod, or Hering or FoFix for different instruments?

3. Settings: Will there be different Ho-Po settings and different difficulty settings depending what kind of player you are ala GH3? Or will there be one set set of settings?

4. Voice Chat?

5. Will there be one single lobby, or will there be separate lobbies for separate difficulty settings?

Well, those are my nitpicks with the idea. Other than those, the idea seems to have progressed nicely. Good luck!

#1- Songs will be downloaded, via host, this song will only play during that session, once that session with that host is complete the song will no longer be available to play. [this is to protect, you , me , and others from copyright infrigement]
If you want the same copy of the song, you will have to download it from fretsonfire.org.
The host will have the "official song" meaning if your song does not match the hosters song precisely, you will download it via the way mentioned above.
if you want to play matchmaking for ranking, or social, you must have the official Play list, these play lists will have the official fretted songs.

#2-As stated above, this is not a mod, and is so not based off of any. This is completely new to utilize all instruments, you know minus mic, networking, editor, and a new lobby system.

#3-HO-OP, Difficulty.
where you thinking of something of some others?

#4-Voice as it may be, will not implemented until a further release.

#5-There will be multiple lobby's and in each lobby you will be able to choose your difficulty
xbox360922

Postby xbox360922 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:22 pm

Acedia wrote:Text, stuff, and more text

I actually wouldn't mind seeing at least a snipit of the code you're working with.

Throwing an entire project like this on one man, would just be too much for you.
You need people to help code, test, debug, suggest, code, test, re-test, debug, ect.

Bring a couple of people on board with this project. You don't need to make your code public, now, but at least have a couple members of the forum verify that you have made some progress on this code. To smooth out any doubts that most (Myself included) are having.

That said, good luck with this, man.
Fail Rating = 2%
RaianTheFallen

Postby RaianTheFallen » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:59 pm

This has alot of potentional... if you guys need help setting up a website, I'm your guy. XD
The Wiitard
rednano12

Postby rednano12 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:04 pm

Sounds promisingish. The vid is a good start...
Oct. 30th is Cama appreciation day!

Check out my first song: Snow (Hey Oh)
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:14 pm

When this is alpha or beta released i would like to volunteer to test. I got that rogers mobile rocket and i've been testing it's online capabilties. So far Battlefield Vietnam works but i want to see how a game like this works online. It probably be more fun having around 10 or 20 people testing it before it gets realeased. Sit on this for a while. I don't expect too much right now :cool:
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Alt+F4
sdduuuffff

Postby sdduuuffff » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:33 pm

Sweet O_o
Online Play! :woot:
if you're reading this, you probably copied and pasted it :)
Awesome Drum Charter
anthman852

Postby anthman852 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:51 pm

Your still alive!!!!!

Really, I am glad to see that you are still working on this.

Return to “Other Music Games”