FOF-Live (The Online Playing Experience)

Discussion specific to other music games, like: RB, GH, GZ, JamLegend, SoS, etc.

What's your opinion?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:04 pm

Acedia Go F*!& yourself, we don't need you to do Online-Multiplayer for us.
11%
Acedia, I'm sorry, please continue doing this for us.
89%

Total votes: 18
Official Developer!!
Acedia

Re: FOF: Online WIP

Postby Acedia » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:43 am

vedicardi wrote:Isn't there a way you can just fully load up a stream of the song both people want to play, streaming off of the .oggs that the people choosing the songs have. Like a file transfer before the song starts so that the other person has the song, but only temporarily as a stream (which of course would have to be loaded 100% before the song actually starts).

I was looking into this today, after reading the post earlier, and i don't' see the problem in what your saying, as long as I interpreted it correctly. all that would happen would be skipping the step of writing the stream to a file on the computer.
But for instance if these two players play against each other again, as in custom games, and choose a different song, play that song, then decide they want to play the first song again, the client would then have to re-download the song. This is what i wanted to try and eliminate, by creating a "sessionID" and placing the file on disc.
However this type of structure could be used in matchmaking, you know for those single match type games. where it would be very unlikely to play the same random song against the same random player.
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:43 am

As long as both players don't need to have the same song before playing I'd be fine.
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
Official Developer!!
Acedia

Postby Acedia » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:12 am

No I hope not, The song selection would only be an option for the Player to choose whether they want to play against somebody that has the same song as them, or else play against everyone. and do the file Transfering during the Game Lobby "Loading" Screen, with chat and what not.
Official Developer!!
Acedia

Postby Acedia » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:36 am

Qwedgeonline wrote:Will there be online Face Off and stuff, also with the setting of playing one song after another?

During matchmaking, you are able to select whether or not you want to play against any one, with any song.
You also have the ability to choose Face:off, pro Face off, Battle* if i can get the battle system working.
Like in Rb, you can only play against that player once, then the game asks if you would like to play matchmaking again, if you do, then you are connected to someone else, or possibly the same person with the current matchmaking settings.
If you want to play against that person again with different settings, then invite that player from your recent players list into a custom game.
Custom Games are just that, you can customize the settings, songs and play type in that lobby.
Matchmaking will have limited options to keep the play type even. No handicaps except for skill level and Keyboard vs. Guitar/Drum players if I decided to let Keyboard Players play against Guitar/Drum players.
Options in Matchmaking include the GameType (Face off, pro face Off etc), whether or not you want to play against the same skill level, or you don't care. Along with the ability to choose that the other player have the same song being played already downloaded on their PC.

Killmaster222 wrote:is there going to be an announcer voice in the game? like the ones you hear when it's like "DOUBLE KILL, TRIPLE KILL, RAMPAGE!" in the FPS games?

I don't know, would people want something like this? what types of things the announcer say? I mean "Alright we have a real match-up here, we've got Two Top Notch players ready to Battle this out in a two player face Off, This should be interesting."
really I'm not a script writer, nor do i think that others would like this, but if i'm wrong I guess I can Make it Happen.

Update April 03
Just wanted to give a quick update for all on the Client Server App.... I'm about 25 - 33% done with all the Features requested, however I'm going to leave the Chat Game out of the client due to needless coding for the chat game. I will however have a Keyboard Guitar & Drum key tester to verify that they do work. I'm at about 3 times bigger with this program then the earlier release, and I'm somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of the way complete. I'm only guessing at this point, but the Client is going to be about a 15 - 30 Mb download. Anyways I'll give an update later with any new news.
cmsk8ter

Postby cmsk8ter » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:06 pm

Just wanted to give a quick update for all on the Client Server App.... I'm about 25 - 33% done with all the Features requested, however I'm going to leave the Chat Game out of the client due to needless coding for the chat game. I will however have a Keyboard Guitar & Drum key tester to verify that they do work. I'm at about 3 times bigger with this program then the earlier release, and I'm somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of the way complete. I'm only guessing at this point, but the Client is going to be about a 15 - 30 Mb download. Anyways I'll give an update later with any new news.

Sounds Really good. you are making very good progress :2thumbsup:
Official Developer!!
Acedia

Postby Acedia » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:31 pm

Update: April 4

Alright, I'm just finishing up the Registration Forms for the Client. Seems like everything is rolling smooth at the moment. I would give it a few more days before releasing any type of client to Test for The Beta Testers.

This client testing will be done in three phases.
Phase one
Test Registration Processes and Chat compatibility.
Phase Two - about 1 to 2 weeks later
Testing of Matchmaking Chat, Testing of Guitar and Drum Peripherals, Hosting Chat Rooms- (Considered Custom Games) and PM's;
Phase Three about 1 to 2 weeks after Phase 2 - This would be the First Week in May.
Will be the Final Beta Release for the Chat Clients. At this point all networking code will be complete for the time being for FOF:Online :2thumbsup:
other things to test would include some sort of Leader board stats, Avatars, and possibly voice chatting.

If you feel i have missed something, give me a heads up.
Keep Rockin On.
cheezcake

Postby cheezcake » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:44 pm

Sounds Good :smile: Thats about all there is to say :thumbup:
Due to the confusion from too many genres of music, we have decided to put both country music and rap music into the genre of Crap music
Official Developer!!
Acedia

Postby Acedia » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:43 pm

Alright I'm having anther threading issue. Something about Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOne(int32) on my testing machine. This is only on one of my machines, I about to test this on another testing machine that i have. The only thing that i can think of is that the first testing machine is a single core processor, and I may be trying to access a secondary processor. I'm going to go test it on another computer and update my findings.

After testing on another dual core machine, the issue is not Threading, it's internally in the program. I must go through and re-write the code to fix this before i can do any more further testing. If you find and results on this error type, please contact me and tell me what you have found.

Alright figured out the problem, this was caused because i do not have the .net Framework 3.5 sp1 installed on my testing pc's it now works, without any revisions to the code. alright 2 - 3 more days left till phase 1. shorter if i have more time to do this.
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby KTownEgghead » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:23 pm

Once again, thank you for taking this on. It would be great to see something like this worked on with the FoFiX team.
dance along the fault line; feel the shaking in your bones,
lose the tension in my throat, and live for something.
Official Developer!!
Acedia

Postby Acedia » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:28 pm

I wouldn't worry about FOF:ix yet, there's still some time before a working release of the this game is available, I'm sure they're working on something, I offered help, but it doesn't seem like they even know if they wanted to use it. Anyways Thanks for believin
COBHATECREW419
Super_Crazy_Dude

Postby Super_Crazy_Dude » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:04 pm

can you see the other players fretboard
CHILDREN OF BODOM!!!!!!! OWNS!!!!!!
Official Developer!!
Acedia

Postby Acedia » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:05 pm

Alright no beta testing needed for the network coding... I have tested as much as i need too, there no use trying to fix bugs in windows forms, i really need to get back to coding the game again.
It's coming along, Hopefully i can get some working code released by the may beta release deadline. Game play will be highly limited at this stage, but available. Sorry for not being on messenger, I notice that i get distracted when i have the internet going. I'm in another forum for helping coders. So i turn off my internet connection when programming so i don't get too distracted.

Super_Crazy_Dude wrote:can you see the other players fretboard

Yes, just like as if you were playing against someone in your room.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:10 pm

Would it be even possible to get a beta running for the May release. Will the beta only be 1 on 1 in the beginning?
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Official Developer!!
Acedia

Postby Acedia » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:50 am

amak11 wrote:Would it be even possible to get a beta running for the May release. Will the beta only be 1 on 1 in the beginning?

I'm not sure, but i don't have to work tomorrow, and so I'm going to be working on this all day tomorrow. As far as the 1 on 1 goes, the beta release will only be released once a 1 v 1 can happen. There would be no since in releasing something if multiplayer was not available yet, IMO , since this is a multiplayer stand-alone.
cmsk8ter

Postby cmsk8ter » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:48 pm

Im so excited about this!!

Return to “Other Music Games”