Strings on Speed

Discussion specific to other music games, like: RB, GH, GZ, JamLegend, SoS, etc.
This topic is 12 years and 4 weeks old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Re: Strings on Speed

Postby raph666 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:46 am

I made this little dynamic png so we have a list of active servers on the forums:

If you start up a server correctly it should appear in the picture. Let's hope we see servers in there often.
bowzerk

Postby bowzerk » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:31 pm

Now that is really awesome. Thank you, I will add that image to the first post of this thread.
All we need now are more ppl hosting servers! ;)

I also should mention that the in-game server list is now being hosted on raph666's server as well, so we will hopefully have less problems with that in the future.
Strings on Speed: Discuss Download
PiePerson

Postby PiePerson » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:09 pm

Huh.

I started up Xpadder in hopes to play it with my Xplorer, but I mapped everything correctly and it wanted to hold down yellow and blue at the same time. Anyone know what the problem is? :x

EDIT: Okay, I think my problem is that I need to map the control itself and not map it on keys from Xmapper using config.xml.... but how would I do that?
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:39 pm

PiePerson wrote:I started up Xpadder in hopes to play it with my Xplorer, but I mapped everything correctly and it wanted to hold down yellow and blue at the same time. Anyone know what the problem is?

The problem is probably because you have conflicting keys. Your guitar, even when xpadder is opened, is still detected by SoS. To fix that, set up your xpadder correctly, putting the default keyboard keys in your xpadder's profile (first fret = F1, second = F2, etc.) like you would do for Frets On Fire when having strumming issues and then open stringsonspeed's config.xml and edit the j_keys so they use inexistent joypad buttons.
For example:
<j_keys fret1="154" fret2="154" fret3="154" fret4="154" fret5="154" strum1="154" strum2="154" quit="154" />
This configuration works perfectly for me.
abloobloo
RedShadow

Postby RedShadow » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:37 pm

Man this looks like a great Game!
I hope arfn24 didn't give up the Mac Port...
skwissgaar my (god)
gen_codehazzard

Postby gen_codehazzard » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:37 pm

raph666 wrote:
PiePerson wrote:I started up Xpadder in hopes to play it with my Xplorer, but I mapped everything correctly and it wanted to hold down yellow and blue at the same time. Anyone know what the problem is?

The problem is probably because you have conflicting keys. Your guitar, even when xpadder is opened, is still detected by SoS. To fix that, set up your xpadder correctly, putting the default keyboard keys in your xpadder's profile (first fret = F1, second = F2, etc.) like you would do for Frets On Fire when having strumming issues and then open stringsonspeed's config.xml and edit the j_keys so they use inexistent joypad buttons.
For example:
<j_keys fret1="154" fret2="154" fret3="154" fret4="154" fret5="154" strum1="154" strum2="154" quit="154" />
This configuration works perfectly for me.

yea that will work for sure and you can even try writeing better config`s for the control`s
and i been looking into the code for the guitar part and there`s a note that say`s bass fix me the bass work`s fine i checked the code and everything there`s nuttin wrong with the bass other then the note`s need`s to be better im trying to work on a .png format like fof but no luck

--edited--

is it possble to use code from fof if i convert it over with a program ? and if it is why not do that im pretty good at converting different type`s of code
PiePerson

Postby PiePerson » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:38 pm

I just "upgraded" to Vista.
I'm going to try to see if I can get it to work. I doubt it, but maybe, just maybe if I try running as admin...

---- EDIT ----

Ha, it works fine.
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby KTownEgghead » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:01 pm

The image looks great :D I'm hosting a game!!!
dance along the fault line; feel the shaking in your bones,
lose the tension in my throat, and live for something.
PiePerson

Postby PiePerson » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:03 pm

I see that game, but I can't connect... did you port forward?

P.S. nice port, XD
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby KTownEgghead » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:23 pm

raynebc wrote:If you're using a router between your computer and a modem, it's almost guaranteed to block the inbound connections (any modern router does this by default). You should use "port forwarding" to allow your router to receive traffic on port #X and send it to your computer instead of just dropping it:

http://portforward.com/

Really confused on this. Can someone explain how to forward a port in a way that I can understand? I'm a noob :P
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:30 pm

That site has step by step tutorials for many models of router, it really is the best thing to look at first. Otherwise you can google to your heart's content.

Basically, your computer is waiting for people to connect to port #X, but there is a router between you and your modem/whatever. When somebody tries to connect to your on port #X, the router is the one that receives the communication. If the router wasn't told to do anything with it, or if the network traffic isn't part of existing communication that you initiated with that person, the router discards the traffic. The act of telling the router to send communication that is addressed to one or more ports to a specific computer on your network (computers on your side of the router) is called port forwarding.
What's my age again?
KTownEgghead

Postby KTownEgghead » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:33 pm

raynebc wrote:That site has step by step tutorials for many models of router, it really is the best thing to look at first. Otherwise you can google to your heart's content.

Basically, your computer is waiting for people to connect to port #X, but there is a router between you and your modem/whatever. When somebody tries to connect to your on port #X, the router is the one that receives the communication. If the router wasn't told to do anything with it, or if the network traffic isn't part of existing communication that you initiated with that person, the router discards the traffic. The act of telling the router to send communication that is addressed to one or more ports to a specific computer on your network (computers on your side of the router) is called port forwarding.

I found my router on that list. I'm going to go read that tutorial now.
PiePerson

Postby PiePerson » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:08 pm

Don't worry, it's not tough at all once you figure it out. Setting up a static IP is probably what you will have the most trouble with. =P
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:05 pm

PiePerson wrote:Don't worry, it's not tough at all once you figure it out. Setting up a static IP is probably what you will have the most trouble with. =P

There's no need to set up a static IP. This is what the master servers list is made for. To join a hosted game you don't need the servers IP, you simply have to refresh the servers list in-game and double-click on the server to join it.
To make it easier for your friend to find your server, it's better to give your server a significant name than setting up a static ip.
If you're talking about LAN ip, I agree with raynebc, there are many advantages to DHCP reservations compared to static ip. Anyway, for small home networks, these solutions are quite "optional". Updating your forwarding once in a while doesn't seem like a big issue.

Return to “Other Music Games”