OpenRhythm - A new open source rhythm game. [WIP]

Discussion specific to other music games, like: RB, GH, GZ, JamLegend, SoS, etc.
This topic is 6 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Addicted to memes
MetalMuxxer

Re: OpenRhythm - A new open source rhythm game. [WIP]

Postby MetalMuxxer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:36 pm

Keep up the work, maybe at the end of the year we might get the first playable version :D
weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:25 pm

Well i'd hope to have a playable version before then.

Another quick update.
Tails now stop at frets when "Played"
Tails also stop being played when the game is paused

Last edited by weirdpeople on Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Developer of clone hero, and Former FoFiX developer
blatz89

Postby blatz89 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:27 pm

Looks really good man! :D. Scrolls really smooth, hit detection looks on point and the pause rewind looks like it works :D.
weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:08 pm

Hey thanks. Full disclosure my current "hit detection" is something closer to a bot at this point, but the final hit detection is very well planned out already. I'll start working on making it playable once i get some more of the back end engine work better fleshed out.

Progress has been slower this past month due to me being busy at work, and in the middle of moving. Things have calmed down though and I'm starting to work through some stuff again. I tracked down and fixed a long standing rendering bug this past weekend as well as fixing some build issues on osx.

I'm mainly trying to figure out how I'm going to go about implementing my UI system which i have complex plans for. I've made huge strides conceptually in this past day though.

Basically i need to clean up my game code and make it more general so I can render multiple tracks. To do that i need to implement support for multiple render viewports which I want implemented with my UI system in mind. This way viewports would be positioned with the UI layout engine and 3d content can be easily overlayed on top of ui.

TL;DR I need to implement a solid starting point for my UI system before i continue on with the gameplay code.
Last edited by weirdpeople on Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
me00lmeals

Postby me00lmeals » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:46 pm

This is looking really good! Seeing the progress that you've made since the first post and while being in the middle of moving and work you're moving pretty quick! I'm really excited to see what this will evolve into.

From what I know, are you the only one coding this game up from nothing?
METALMEALS, Love Your Soup!
iamclone119

Postby iamclone119 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:58 am

may i suggest adding dj hero turn tables to the list to add love to be able to chart my own songs to dj would have to work with the dev for eof to support charting it
weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:07 pm

I'm not ruling it out, but that would be a far off feature if it happens
weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:50 pm

Yeah similar boat here, i basically know nothing about how dj hero works gameplay wise as i've never played it.
thebaronofsd

Postby thebaronofsd » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi,

I can't code but I'm interested in helping however I can. I'm fairly good at documentation and will be getting back into charting soon. I did some (unreleased) stuff for rocksmith and plan to do some drum/bass charting for PS and maybe OR one day. Speaking of, and real quick, what are your goals with this openrhythm?

I see you mention you want it to be an all inclusive rhythm game, cool, what does that mean to you? Are you leaning more edutainment like rocksmith or more GH/RB aka glorified simon says with a musical instrument like controller? I'm interested in an all inclusive edutainment game that helps one learn the mechanics or the instrument- say a rocksmith with proper vocals, drum support, and keyboard support. if that is what you're working towards, i'll help however I can.

quick back ground on me. quit drums about 20 years ago and missed playing a lot. picked up rocksmith and a bass about 4 years ago and that experience totally sold me on the edutainment route for learning. recently bought a drum set for me and my kid ... now I'd like "that game" the whole family can play. me on bass, kid on drums, nephew on guitar, mom on vocals or me or anyone or noone. My nephew and I both learned guitar/bass at the same time in rocksmith. playing side by side on the same song is a really great experience.

So yeah, lemme know if/when you need help on busy work type stuff, documentation, etc.

p.s. I've been trying to envision ways to teach theory in these edutainment games. any chance while you're building this out that you could include the ability to pull in youtube videos to the client renderer? Meaning, in the JSON or ini w/e format you land on, having the ability to add a youtube link so that it plays as the background 'video' to the 'song/lesson' would allow a teacher to create a 'song' as a lesson and have a video that the player can watch while working on/through w/e the lesson is. Not 100% interactive, but, with something like that you can add a lot of context/info to "the song". Further, a cool value add would be the ability for indie bands to chart their own songs then link the video back to their official youtube channel allowing them another avenue to get their name out.

idk, just a thought i had.

*edit* ooh, another thought. an outfit like say drumeo might be able to give interactive lessons using live youtube links and networked functionality of the client. players could 'log into' the drumeo lesson and play along in real time (in theory).
Last edited by thebaronofsd on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
me00lmeals

Postby me00lmeals » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:34 am

For the logo, I don't about what colors and shapes you see all of this as but while sitting in one of my lectures I decided to sketch a few ideas out.
It's like an "open" drum? I know that the current trend is to be minimalist and use neutral colors wherever possible. So I tried to follow that trend. Let me know what you think! :tongue2:

Spoiler:

METALMEALS, Love Your Soup!
weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:38 am

Hey man, I've been busy lately and haven't been out this way in a while.

Not really a huge fan of that font but it's an interesting idea neverthless. It's not really a drum specific game so I'm a bit hesitant to only use a picture of a drum in the logo. Open in OpenRhythm is more meant as the open in open source.

If you want to come up with some other ideas I'd be glad to consider them. If you have any ideas for new name though and a really awesome logo to go along with it, I'd totally consider that too.

And some news, I took a couple months off from working on the game due to being very busy with life. Started back up recently, and was able to get a basic implementation of HOPO marking done.

Some other things I've done since last updating here:

I've rewritten the beat line marking code yet again, and now is entirely midi tick based, which vastly simplified code and made it more accurate by removing issues I was having using floating-point math.

There has also been continued rendering work, geometry shaders are supported though not currently used. Multiple render primitive types are Now supported which I'm using to render the boundaries of the hit window and various calibration timings on the track. There's also been back end renderer work putting in hooks so that text rendering and a particle system can be more easily implemented in the future.
Last edited by weirdpeople on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Other Music Games”