About this forum

Questions/Comments/Requests about the forum itself
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

About this forum

Postby nwru » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:46 pm

This forum is for all of your questions/comments/criticisms/feature requests/etc. in regards to the forum itself.

The kind of posts that belong here:
"The forum looks a little messed up over here"
"This page/area isn't displaying properly on my configuration"
"I think a forum about (topic) would be a good idea because of (reason)"
"I think phpBB mod, called (name), would be helpful to the site because of (reason)"

And so on...

All of your ideas will be read and responded to. I know I'm going to regret saying that =)
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki
Shredder
Scutch-Nukem

Re: About this forum

Postby Scutch-Nukem » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:00 pm

We can change the theme of the forum back to the old one, right? I don't like this new look.
If you can read this then you've gone too far.
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:16 pm

Scutch-Nukem wrote:We can change the theme of the forum back to the old one, right? I don't like this new look.

Afraid not. What you see here (the "familiar" theme) is our best effort to clone the theme off the old forum. There's no way to convert an Ikonboard theme to a phpBB3 theme.

For the courageous, I'm open to accepting changes/recommendations in the CSS to make it look even more like the Ikonboard one.
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Shredder
Scutch-Nukem

Postby Scutch-Nukem » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:17 pm

nwru wrote:
Scutch-Nukem wrote:We can change the theme of the forum back to the old one, right? I don't like this new look.

Afraid not. What you see here (the "familiar" theme) is our best effort to clone the theme off the old forum. There's no way to convert an Ikonboard theme to a phpBB3 theme.

For the courageous, I'm open to accepting changes/recommendations in the CSS to make it look even more like the Ikonboard one.

Boo. I give you two thumbs down. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
If you can read this then you've gone too far.
変なの、信じられない
vedicardi

Postby vedicardi » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:18 pm

Will there ever be new themes created that we can choose from?
** そんなこと言ってるからいつまでも子供って言われるのよ **
Shredder
jake2k3

Postby jake2k3 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:45 pm

I would like to see an option to limit how many threads show up per page. 50 threads at a time is a little overwhelming, and can make finding the thread you're looking for a little bit hard. I see there's an option in User Settings to limit what threads show up, but it's by date, and just hides any thread after whatever time interval you put in. I don't find this very helpful, as for more active forums like Tune Posting or Off-Topic you're still going to have tons and tons of topics on page 1 even if you set it to one day.

I've seen this done on other boards as a self set per-user setting, where you could choose from options like 10, 15, 25, etc. to appear on a page.

Bringing back an old idea that is now plausible, I suggest a "Chilly" style. It should just be some hex code changes, right?
~Jake2k3

EDIT: I just noticed that if you use the "Show posts from X previous days" feature, it also hides stickied topics. Big problem.
Last edited by jake2k3 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye everyone. It's been fun. I spent many many hours here on these boards and playing/contributing to FoF. Today I uninstalled my game and deleted all my files. I just don't have the time or interest anymore. I won't be coming back here anymore. I might show up in the IRC from time to time to chat. I regret nothing.

So long, farewell.
~Jake2k3
crazy.neo

Postby crazy.neo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:51 pm

Can't we just mod the alternate theme to show red?
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:24 pm

@crazy: probably about as easily as we could make a chilly style. dunno what that entails, i don't know CSS.
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:58 am

vedicardi wrote:Will there ever be new themes created that we can choose from?

Yes, check the "Board Preferences" tab in the User Control Panel. There is currently only one other: Rainbow Pearl.
jake2k3 wrote:I would like to see an option to limit how many threads show up per page. 50 threads at a time is a little overwhelming, and can make finding the thread you're looking for a little bit hard. I see there's an option in User Settings to limit what threads show up, but it's by date, and just hides any thread after whatever time interval you put in. I don't find this very helpful, as for more active forums like Tune Posting or Off-Topic you're still going to have tons and tons of topics on page 1 even if you set it to one day.

I've seen this done on other boards as a self set per-user setting, where you could choose from options like 10, 15, 25, etc. to appear on a page.

Bringing back an old idea that is now plausible, I suggest a "Chilly" style. It should just be some hex code changes, right?
~Jake2k3

Agreed that it is overwhelming. I scaled it back to 25 topics-per-page (the old board had 15). That's about the best I can do for now.

A chilly style would be cool (har, har). I believe it would be easier to implement if it has mostly darker backgrounds.
crazy.neo wrote:Can't we just mod the alternate theme to show red?

Possible. When I get time, I'll make a "Rainbow Pearl Red" theme and see how that looks. If someone wants to try this themselves (almost all of a style's colors are controlled by the CSS), go ahead and I'll add it to the site! =)

Divra

Postby Divra » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:55 am

What bothers me the most is having the avatars to the right, but maybe I'll get used to it... Other than that it looks great!

Edit: Oh, and that the name of the topic isn't included in "Last post" on the index.
Last edited by Divra on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charts (Down as of November 25th)
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:49 am

To change the theme, we need to download it from phpbb.com And nwru, I've used phpBB before and I still don't know how to make the user field to the right. Divra, don't worry. If you don't like the user field at the right, ask nwru to change the user field to the left. :D
Playin' bongos mofo!
gebbss

Postby gebbss » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:27 am

I kinda wish we'd get it to look more like the old one.

Even though this is cool, atleast for now, I'm a bit confused and disoriented.. Maybe I'll get used to it. :)

EDIT: Oooh, this Rainbow Pearl thingy or what-the-hell-was-it-called is much better! AND the avatars are on the left side again! \o/
Last edited by gebbss on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
A bit sleepy
Kotti

Postby Kotti » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:54 am

Some suggestions/stuff that would come in handy:

- Quick reply
- Support for letters like A with dots, O with dots etc. whatever they are called (FAQ topic title, Finnish songs topic)
- Spoiler tag (or is there?)
- Name of the topic isn't included in "Last post" on the index, it would be good
- Bigger in all ways. Yeah, I think that's why it looks a bit weird now. Everything is smaller than in used to be.

And yay for no more Ikonboard errors.
Razlo77

Postby Razlo77 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:24 am

The thing kinda wierdin me out is the fact that the avatars on are on the right side now :blink: idk its just different...
Fretting currently::: Reasons To Live - DragonForceDONE!!! Head to FansOnFire for the links!!!
Up Next::: Ascendency - Trivium, Perfect Night for a Hanging - Tourniquet (PM me for requests :D first come, first serve!)

I PWN TEH FRETTRZ!
700+ songs fretted!!
Puppetz

Postby Puppetz » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:21 pm

So where did a few houndred of my posts go? Deleted? As I now only have 4.9k...
Image To support my work and help me get a new computer. Thanks!
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Forum Talk”